5kg HG "Its Here" rust and all....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5kg HG "Its Here" rust and all....

Well it sure needs a clean up but its been in storage for 4 years.
    Er what the best way of getting that rust out of the drum people

Re: 5kg HG "Its Here" rust and all....

And a couple more, the guy gave me the gas bottle as well because of the delay. Dont get me wrong I am more than happy but will be happier when its clean

Comment

Congrats Chris,

It looks great and will no doubt look a whole heap better after a good cleanup.

The cooling pan shouldnt be too hard to clean and after that, Id reckon that a good run might burn off a whole heap of the drum oxidation.

It will definitely need seasoning again. Id suggest 4-6 drops of cheap & nasty stuff taken to just before 3rd crack (i.e fire )

Enjoy,

Chris

Comment

Excellent Chris.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Looks to be in overall very good condition mate.

As far as the rusty drum goes, I guess you could rotate it with one of many forms of media to knock the rust off. Keep the chaff-catcher outlet open with the air on (as high as possible) so that all loose rust is cleared out completely. I spose you could even use green beans as the media but cheap nasty ones would be the go as theyd have to be chucked afterwards....

Mal.

Comment

Short of pulling the roaster apart to clean the drum from rust with a sand blast

You could try running in the drum something abrasive
          Something like stone aggregate similar in size to coffee beans mixed with bedding sand (not fine sand)
          Both aggregate & bedding sand should be washed through a sieve to remove fines and dried before use

Clean with vacuum in between sessions
          Thats the most cost effective way I can recommend

The cooler perforated section can be done with wet & dry sandpaper

A bit of work ahead of you Chris
          KK

Comment

Congrats Chris,

Im sure you will get it operational in no time.

Comment

Congrats on your buy.

If you are going to go down the path of using aggregate material (and I would but thats just me), suggest going to your local concrete plant or quarry and buying a wheelbarrow full of 10mm aggregate.  Itll be cheap as chups too!

If its from the quarry it will be angular and sharp (crushed rock) and should do a very good job but mind, thats because the angular nature of it will be aggressive on the drum. The drum is thick, so theoretiocally shouldnt matter, but youre on your own there Im afraid! Youll have to suck it and see.

If you are near a river quarry then the material will be much more rounded instead of sharp and will be easier on the drum.

I wouldnt buy a "run" of 10 mm aggregate because the "run" implies the aggregate particles are not consistent, they are "a run" of anything up to 10mm therefore contain much smaller particles or "fines". The fines may not tumble properly and I imagine they will leave a mess to clean out, in addition there are bearings (sealed or not) in there to worry about.

By all means wash the 10 mm aggregate first and let it dry before putting it in, to get as much dust (or "fines") off the aggregate as possible.

You could buy a bucket full of say, 1/4 inch nuts and bolts to do the same thing and again, they are angular so could be aggressive, but are also probably more expensive that a barra full a rocks!

Lastly I would finish off with green beans, then roast a few laods to chuck into the vege garden.

But that is only what I would do....no responsibility taken if you take any of my ideas on board.

Good luck and way to go.

Comment

Congrats on the arrival!

If you decide to go with the rocks or other abrasive material in the drum be careful how much of it you use. You dont want to overload the drum from too much weight. Also be sure to do a thorough grease/lubrication on all points before firing it up.

Java "Everybody needs a good project!" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hi Chris

Its a nice looking unit and should coe up fine with a little TLC.

Personally, once youve lubricated the axle Id start with some greens before using something more aggressive. They are surprisingly abrasive and I guess I prefer the softly, softly approach. You can always up the ante but its much harder to step back.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Im with DenisJ on this one. Definitely nothing fine as it will just fall out the ends of the drum- as ita a cylinder.

River pebbles would do it well I reckon, but Id try heat and cheapie beans first before resorting to something more aggressive. If the beans dont do the job, you could pull the drum and give it a once over by hand. I think this would be best for longevity.

Good luck and keep us updated with progress reports.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 4D667166776F6E6B62070 link=1264225479/7#7 date=1264238090
                      If you decide to go with the rocks or other abrasive material in the drum be careful how much of it you use. You dont want to overload the drum from too much weight. Also be sure to do a thorough grease/lubrication on all points before firing it up.
                      Good point and following on.

If you decide to go the "tumbling aggregate" route suggest you  first put 5 kg of green beans in a bucket and eyeball the volume it occupies. Use the same volume (or less but not more) when you place the aggregate in the drum. That will work more efficiently than overloading the drum with both weight and too large a volume that would not tumble properly.

And heh, nothing wrong with going the 5 kg of "throw away" green beans first to see if that does the job or not. Maybe it will and the other course of action wont be required.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions .

Comment

Working...
                        X