Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I still pop corn in a coffee roaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I still pop corn in a coffee roaster?

Just wondering if Ill get drawn and quartered by SWMBO for ruining our popcorn maker by roasting coffee in it.

Ie. Do I need to buy a dedicated popper, or will it still make good popcorn that doesnt taste like coffee?

Cheers,
    Neil.

Re: Can I still pop corn in a coffee roaster?

Originally posted by 222327342D2827342A460 link=1264648304/0#0 date=1264648304
    Just wondering if Ill get drawn and quartered by SWMBO for ruining our popcorn maker by roasting coffee in it.

Ie. Do I need to buy a dedicated popper, or will it still make good popcorn that doesnt taste like coffee?

Cheers,
    Neil.
    Try it I can only guess... However teh Macadamia nuts I do in my Coffee roaster are great... But it could be that the coffee essence just adds to it.

Comment

Over time the inner little "drum" of the popper will turn dark with oils from the beans, this will eventually transfer to the popped corn, especially being white with dark brown oils

I personally would be getting a dedicated popper, lifeline......$10 max

best of luck!

And welcome to Coffeesnobs!

Comment

Ummmm.....yeah im not so sure it will work out but theres only way way to find out if it will or not right?

Let us know if you go through with it?

Comment

Maybe you could buy SWMBO a nice new one and keep the old one for yourself? Like WSully I got mine for $5 - great way to start.....

Comment

Hmm, I suspected as much. I might have to jump straight to the heat gun + bread machine approach. No point beating around the bush. Ill just have to find a cheap bread machine.

Anyone have tips on finding garage sales in newcastle. Do people advertise their garage sales online these days?

Cheers,
            Neil.

Comment

I had the same question. And I have a Behmor 1600 coffee roaster ...and it roasts popcorn fine with the fine grill. I love watching it pop! Someone named John at Chocolate Alchemy roasts popcorn in his Behmor...so they say. Thats where I bought my roaster.

I realize this is an old thread..but wanted to add my findings for posterity.  Yeah it is a $299 popcorn roaster. But who needs another appliance.

I was screwing around trying to roast popcorn in a brown bag in a microwave..blew up two microwaves. this week.  So now I spent $300 on a new microwave ..and I hope the other one still works.

I got rid of my hot air corn popper years ago (I think).

John rebuilds and repairs Behmors. If he roasts popcorn I expect it is safe...but I got the info he does second hand.

Comment

Why bother?
                Brand new popcorn poppers at Kmart $12.

Comment

paper bag (like for sandwiches) and popping corn, microwave for ~2mins and youve got popcorn... how did you blow up the microwave??

Comment

You should go check out the info a www.popcornsnobs.com.au

Lots of info regarding popcorn profiles, single origin corn etc

Comment

Originally posted by 3E2836292A3F3B28291A233B3235357439355A0 link=1264648304/6#6 date=1293944494
                      I have a Behmor 1600 coffee roaster ...and it roasts popcorn fine with the fine grill. I love watching it pop!
                      Very cool idea. Ill try that the next time I need "party sized" popcorn.

Originally posted by 373F36333933352F295A0 link=1264648304/8#8 date=1293965095
                      paper bag (like for sandwiches) and popping corn, microwave for ~2mins and youve got popcorn
                      Try dropping a whole chili into the paper bag the next time you microwave popcorn. It wont change the colour but adds a zing of sneeky chilli spice that makes great savory nibbles and slows the kids down after the first handful kicks-in.
                      :

Comment

Originally posted by 6E485F7E5253494F5C5E49524F3D0 link=1264648304/9#9 date=1295912570
                        You should go check out the info a www.popcornsnobs.com.au

Lots of info regarding popcorn profiles, single origin corn etc
                        I feel that as a new member we should be pointing out to you that directing members to competitors websites is very frowned upon and you should reconsider your post.....

Got a good laugh out of it ;D

Comment

What Ive found is that although the popcorn is still edible its a little cardboardy (yeah I know not a word LOL). Id prefer have a seperate popper for actual popcorn

Comment

I find hot air poppers like that in general. Microwave popcorn not so much and not fry pan either. I had a big scanpan and I found if I didnt put it on my big burner the corn would pop slowly and would end up as you describe. Kinda like that rice packaging they use for fragile stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X