1kg Gene Cafe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1kg Gene Cafe!

OK, just cause I teased ya over it heres the first pic from the 2010 SCAA conventions trade floor show that Ive just returned from (And that Andy in currently in the air on his way home from!) to be posted.

This is the new Gene prototype. For scale the Gene on the left is their current model. The roast capacity is 1kg with external bean cooling (cooling tome was stated as 2 minutes) and with an external chaff collector and afterburner mounted to the exhaust. Availability is currently projected to be in July with a price of around $USD3,000.

Java "Look out Hottop!" phile

Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Re: 1kg Gene Cafe!

Thanks Javaphile Im glad you didnt keep us in suspense too long. Thats a bit more like it. Looks like the Koreans have come up with an interesting option. Did they demonstrate it?

I hope that as Australia is a relatively good Gene market, we might see one on our shores around July as well and Andy has put an order in already for a test machine. I expect it will come out at closer to AU$4000 given the premium Aussie buyers usually cop.

Comment

wow - that looks awesome (but not cheap)

Comment

It appears to be a lot more industrial though and if so, US$3,000 isnt a bad price at all.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Interesting, I can see where it fits in the market place but a bit out of the reach for most home roasters I wonder how loud it is?

Comment

Is it gas? How does it dump to cool?

Comment

Originally posted by 38322730303F2B2D5E0 link=1271836517/1#1 date=1271844058
              Looks like the Koreans have come up with an interesting option. Did they demonstrate it?
              They had it running with-out heat showing the motion of the chamber and how the beans were loaded and dumped.

Originally posted by 332B2E2E3B2A01333F3068695E0 link=1271836517/5#5 date=1271859099
              Is it gas?
              Electric.

Originally posted by 332B2E2E3B2A01333F3068695E0 link=1271836517/5#5 date=1271859099
              How does it dump to cool?
              The chamber stops and a door opens in the lower end and the beans fall into the cooling tray which includes a stirrer. To avoid burning the beans the chamber only stops rotating for a short period before the door closes and the chamber cycles before stopping and dumping again.

Originally posted by 362A3C5E0 link=1271836517/4#4 date=1271853142
              I wonder how loud it is?
              Hard to say as they didnt demo the full roast cycle but I suspect its not very loud based on the noise level of what they did demo.

Originally posted by 362A3C5E0 link=1271836517/4#4 date=1271853142
              Interesting, I can see where it fits in the market place but a bit out of the reach for most home roasters
              There will be some home roasters who will buy it, and I think a lot of small shops will be very interested in it as it will make a fascinating and engaging shop roaster for them.

Java "Hhhmmmm......New toys!" phile

Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Just as im about to hit the market for a 1 - 2kg roaster too ;D

Looks promising and at a good price...i can see another bench top roaster coming my way soon

Comment

Oooohhhh! 1 kilo.

Aaaahhhh! Quick external cooling.

Uuuummmm! Smoke control.

Wwwwoooo! Chaff collector.

Mmmmmmmm! $3000US.

Waiting for reviews.

Greg

Comment

Re: Designing a dream Coffee Roaster, Ideas?

The new Gene Cafe is one wicked looking machine!

I think ill be buying one if they are offered here.

Comment

Originally posted by 7B5C57666A390 link=1271836517/2#2 date=1271845281
                      wow - that looks awesome (but not cheap)
                      Well... it is cheap when you look at all the other commercial 1kg options that range from $4000-$10,000 and those dont have an afterburner.

This one is also multi voltage so the whole world can run the same model (which is a nice change).

And yes, a 1kg roaster at that price point could be a home roaster....

If you were roasting 6kg a week for friends, family and workmates you could expect to break even on the purchase price in just 6 months odd.

It was a good looking, well built roaster and if the final production version works as well as it should then these will pop-up in plenty of cafes and eventually in CSrs homes too.

Originally posted by 7E4B5C5E6E564B5458555D390 link=1271836517/8#8 date=1271932829
                      Waiting for reviews.
                      Sadly, that is the only one built until they start their production run.

They are a very switched-on company taking feedback on their previous models very seriously. This one has a pre-heat cycle, external (fast) cooling and the afterburner... all things requested in the small version.

The company might be sending me a test machine from the 1st production run so if that happens we can all give it spin to see what it can do.
                      8-)

Comment

Yep, I reckon it looks like a terrific CSers home roaster.... 8-)

Definitely going to keep an eye out Andy

Mal.

Comment

Will this allow for a bean mass temperature probe and internal/computer profiling?

Comment

I doubt it!

Comment

Originally posted by 58777D60190 link=1271836517/13#13 date=1273331983
                              I doubt it!
                              What! ..... dont they read CoffeeSnobs?

Comment

Working...
                              X