My New Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Turbo

I was looking for something to do so decided to build a new roaster.

Basically the same principle a my old one with a few refinements I am very pleased with the results and the roasts are spot on..

The paster set and extra boiler came from Kmart and they go together perfectly  heres a few pics...

Cheers Gra..

Re: My New Turbo

Crikey

That all looks pretty flash 8-)

Comment

That twin agitator blade looks like a Ninja weapon (insert Ninja sound here)

You were one of the first converts to this design Gra and you have found it to be reliable enough to stick with the same principle

Keep on roasting on [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 70545D5D5E5E6470544856543B0 link=1290398302/2#2 date=1290402268
        That twin agitator blade looks like a Ninja weapon(insert Ninja sound here)

You were one of the first converts to this design Gra and you have found it to be reliable enough to stick with the same principle

Keep on roasting on

KK
        Cheers KK

Like they say if it aint broke dont fix it ;D So I just fine tuned the build a bit and changed the agitator and made the motor shaft drop in with out pinning for ease of unloading I can now lift the basket out with out a drama..
        Gra..

Comment

Sorry if I havent seen your previous design, but what is the heating method in that? Is that just a standard deep fryer, or a pressure cooker???

Comment

Originally posted by 435C5E445D485F5E49310 link=1290398302/4#4 date=1290590938
            Sorry if I havent seen your previous design, but what is the heating method in that? Is that just a standard deep fryer, or a pressure cooker???
            The heat source is a Turbo Oven

More info here

Beta testers kit roaster
            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1261484678

Original Concept
            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1282658531

Plus you will also find individual and unique builds using the KKTO design principal in the Roaster section

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 07232A2A29291307233F21234C0 link=1290398302/5#5 date=1290597686
              The heat source is a Turbo Oven
              Thanks for the link. Its good to see that the halogen heating is working well. I have an unlimited supply of halogen heaters at my disposal, so this gives me promise of making an array of them in a quite different design. Looks like my weekend will be a write off.....

Comment

Originally posted by 223D3F253C293E3F28500 link=1290398302/6#6 date=1290599066
                I have an unlimited supply of halogen heaters at my disposal, so this gives me promise of making an array of them in a quite different design.
                Post your results so we can all share

Originally posted by 223D3F253C293E3F28500 link=1290398302/6#6 date=1290599066
                Looks like my weekend will be a write off.....
                Its all for a noble cause
                Although people will say its an addiction

Good luck
                KK

Comment

Originally posted by 143039393A3A0014302C32305F0 link=1290398302/7#7 date=1290600138
                  Although people will say its an addiction
                  who said that KK? they must be crazy! ;D

Great looking setup there Gra, love the extractor fan! have you insulated between the inner and outer pot? what sort of quantities are you getting out of her, and what times are you hitting FC?

Cheers
                  warren

Comment

The extractor fan is a great idea. Staring into the glass, through the smoke and burning eyes Id often said Id build one...

Doesnt the the lower grill SUCK air in, and the upper vents EXTRACT?

On my TO, I only seem to notice the smoke exiting via the upper grill.

Does your extractor cover both?

Comment

Originally posted by 0501273E3E3B24333C520 link=1290398302/8#8 date=1290893418
                      who said that KK? they must be crazy!

Great looking setup there Gra, love the extractor fan! have you insulated between the inner and outer pot? what sort of quantities are you getting out of her, and what times are you hitting first crack?

Cheers
                      warren
                      Hi Warren ( good to see you back Mate)

Yes on the insulation I raped with a fire blanket then insulwool I had for the garage ceiling works fine..I have only done 4 roasts so far at 600g first crack is in the 11--12min around the same as the old unit.

I have picked up some Insulbrite that I will roll up to make a collar for the top of the basket which is the only part not insulated it will be interesting to see if it makes a differance.

Originally posted by 303D203326636061520 link=1290398302/9#9 date=1290899986
                      The extractor fan is a great idea.Staring into the glass, through the smoke and burning eyes Id often said Id build one...

Doesnt the the lower grill SUCK air in, and the upper vents EXTRACT?

On my TO,I only seem to notice the smoke exiting via the upper grill.

Does your extractor cover both?
                      I thing all Turbos work the same re:the airflow as for dose it work a big YES ;D it has made roasting in doors more pleasant no more smoke filled garage and very little after smell if any and the big benefit is I can roast with the doors closed if the winds up..

Cheers gra..

Comment

Originally posted by 02262F2F2C2C1602263A2426490 link=1290398302/2#2 date=1290402268
                        (insert Ninja sound here)
                        HHWOARYAAA!!

Seriously clean and efficient set up Graham.
                        That vent looks like it will suck a brain of an alien into the next dimension. ;D
                        A very good idea as you have said about roasting indoors, as the gold coast would i presume get its fair share of inclement weather, as well as away from prying eyes of the neighbours.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by 2A303D3C2E38202A2A590 link=1290398302/11#11 date=1291007799
                          Seriously clean and efficient set up Graham.
                          That vent looks like it will suck a brain of an alien into the next dimension.
                          A very good idea as you have said about roasting indoors, as the gold coast would i presume get its fair share of inclement weather, as well as away from prying eyes of the neighbours.
                          Gary  
                          Right on Gary they cant work out where that roasting smell coming from ;D ;D ;D

Gra..

Comment

Hi. Just a question for you guys who have been brave enough to go the turbo oven route.  I initially was going to go the convection oven route, you know, the ones that have a rotisserie and can grille, bake, etc.  But noticed that Andy tried the Aldi unit many years back and found that it lacked the ability to build up and maintain good heat depth.  So with this turbo unit, is it good enough to provide the necessary heat to roast coffee beans successfully?  Also, do you need to preheat the unit or do you just put the beans into the cold unit and then turn it on?  Ive researched the site the best I could and did not find the answers that Im seeking!

By the way, I bought my turbo oven the other day for $41 - delivered.  Last night I cooked frozen chips and within 20 minutes they were cooked very evenly.  Today, I cooked spinach and ricotta filled pastry parcels (the pastry was frozen and raw).  I put them into the cold oven, sprayed them with olive oil spray, turned it onto around 200 (packet said to preheat your oven to 250!) and in a round 20 minutes they were fully cooked throughout and were puffed - top and bottom.  

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 5A78747476747E7978170 link=1290398302/13#13 date=1291442634
                              Hi. Just a question for you guys who have been brave enough to go the turbo oven route.  I initially was going to go the convection oven route, you know, the ones that have a rotisserie and can grille, bake, etc.  But noticed that Andy tried the Aldi unit many years back and found that it lacked the ability to build up and maintain good heat depth.  So with this turbo unit, is it good enough to provide the necessary heat to roast coffee beans successfully?  Also, do you need to preheat the unit or do you just put the beans into the cold unit and then turn it on?  Ive researched the site the best I could and did not find the answers that Im seeking!

By the way, I bought my turbo oven the other day for $41 - delivered.  Last night I cooked frozen chips and within 20 minutes they were cooked very evenly.  Today, I cooked spinach and ricotta filled pastry parcels (the pastry was frozen and raw).  I put them into the cold oven, sprayed them with olive oil spray, turned it onto around 200 (packet said to preheat your oven to 250!) and in a round 20 minutes they were fully cooked throughout and were puffed - top and bottom.  

Thanks
                              See reply number 5 above and teh links included in the said post.

If you just have a TO, then that is not enough

Comment

Working...
                              X