Gene Café - energy usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Café - energy usage

OK, the engineer in me had his power measurement kit in his hand this morning, so I couldnt resist measuring how much juice it takes to roast in the Gene!

Preheat from cold to 250C (empty) = 0.24kWhr
    Roast 1kg - 4x250g batches = 0.978kWhr

All this essentially outdoors - with 15C ambient temperature.

So I guess if youre trying to figure out how much your roasted beans cost you, the electricity is a relatively twee part of it!

Cheers
    /Kevin

Re: Gene Café - energy usage

Good one Kevin.

20c / kg or less is not much and the bonus of greater savings on a warm day.

A fraction of air-con or other power hungry devices around the home and you end-up woth yummy, fresh roasted coffee. Money well spent!

Comment

Re: Gene Café - energy usage

Originally posted by 18373D20590 link=1290821728/1#1 date=1290844261
      Good one Kevin.

20c / kg or less is not much and the bonus of greater savings on a warm day.

A fraction of air-con or other power hungry devices around the home and you end-up woth yummy, fresh roasted coffee.  Money well spent!
      Ahh - but you also need to cost in the roaster, the beans, the inability to drink crap coffee from your "average" coffee place, the grinder, the espresso machine......

All data points that need to be concealed from your SO

But on a serious note - it is actually a lot less than I thought itd be. The Gene is not terribly thermally efficient, but even so an on-cost of $0.20 per kg would probably even work on a commercial basis... It is in the "noise" category.

/Kevin

Comment

Working...
      X