Popcorn machines at K-Mart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popcorn machines at K-Mart

My daughter bought a K-Mart branded popcorn machine today for $12.
    She spotted them in a catalogue so they should be available at all stores.
    Ive checked that it has side vents in the roasting chamber so it is OK for attempting to roast coffee.

Shell be using it to make popcorn so Im afraid someone else will have to test it for bean browning.

$12 only!!!!! Amazing.

Re: Popcorn machines at K-Mart

here it is, lasoo has all catalogs online.

http://www.lasoo.com.au/offer/popcor...4kmtmqyu3.html

Comment

I purchased one last weekend when I was visiting my parents and roasted a couple of 80g batches - fairly quick roast unfortunately with 2nd crack being at about 4min. So I pulled it apart (took me a few minutes to find the the four screws hidden under the rubber legs) and drilled at least 30 8mm holes all around the plastic. 45min after the previous one I tried another batch and....this time 2nd crack was 4min 20sec!!! Felt like a bit of a waste of time, although it was worth it to see the look on my mothers face "what are you doing to that brand new popcorn maker?"   - I just thought for $12 you cant go wrong and its not like you need to be concerned about warranty!  

mmm maybe I need more fans or roast in the middle of the night? If anyone gets a slower roast with this one I would like to know how!

BTW, I put some popcorn through it later and it did a fine job even with all the holes!

Comment

Originally posted by 5A60617774767E6661677C7E7067150 link=1291530047/2#2 date=1291541677
        and drilled at least 30 8mm holes all around the plastic.
        Are there any other insulating properties, in the base or does it look like there are ways of reducing the amount of heat coming from the element? Im thinking about getting one tomorrow night if they have stock. I guess I cant really go wrong for $12, but if someone else has already decided its not worth it, maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by 6877756F76637475621A0 link=1291530047/3#3 date=1291541947

Are there any other insulating properties, in the base or does it look like there are ways of reducing the amount of heat coming from the element?  
          There dont seem to be any other insulating properties...not sure about reducing the heat coming from the element...there was another layer that I did not unscrew.

Attached is a pic of my aeration...more than 30 holes there - must be at least a hundred all the way round and on the bottom as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 7943425457555D4542445F5D5344360 link=1291530047/4#4 date=1291543573
            There dont seem to be any other insulating properties...not sure about reducing the heat coming from the element...there was another layer that I did not unscrew.

Attached is a pic of my aeration...more than 30 holes there - must be at least a hundred all the way round and on the bottom as well.
            Thanks for the post. At least I know what not to do to cool it off..lol. Well see how I go. Now to order a green starter pack.

Comment

Originally posted by 506A6B7D7E7C746C6B6D76747A6D1F0 link=1291530047/4#4 date=1291543573
              Youre on the right track.

This is basically how I increased the times on my Crazy Popper from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.

If at all possible you need bigger holes.

I only had a quick look; where did the air get in before you started drilling?

Even though I dont need another popper, for only $12 Im tempted to get one just to see how well I can improve the roast times with some air holes.

Comment

Originally posted by 7448554E444552474F44200 link=1291530047/6#6 date=1291547439
                This is basically how I increased the times on my Crazy Popper from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.
                Maybe better to use a 25mm hole saw and just put about 5 or so holes?

Comment

I did think the external plastic case could be done away with altogether if there was some kind of alternative case/cage that would provide more airflow. The roasting chamber remains attached to the black plastic upper rim and the white plastic slides off quite easily once the switch and all the screws (including those attached to the power chord) are removed.

To answer your question about original air vents Thundergod - they were around the edge of the base. See attached pic

Comment

I think a simple way to double the time would be to put a diode in series with the element, this will only allow half of the AC current to flow.
                    4 min > 8 min , You could even put a switch to short out the diode to switch from full power to half power.

• 240 VAC 50 Hz 1200 W

is there a how to or info on how to use popcorn makers as roasters?
                    is it as simple as just throwing in the beans and waiting for first crack ?

Comment

Originally posted by 143B2037223D253720520 link=1291530047/9#9 date=1291550320
                      is there a how to or info on how to use popcorn makers as roasters?
                      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1174699442

Java "A sticky under Roasters. Imagine that! :" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

thanks for the link, looks like i get one of these and experiment and hopefully  upgrade to coffee roasting snob

update: I purchased one of these

Comment

Originally posted by 66495245504F574552200 link=1291530047/9#9 date=1291550320
                          I think a simple way to double the time would be to put a diode in series with the element, this will only allow half of the AC current to flow.
                          4 min > 8 min , I know little about roasting so dont know if thats a good time or not.
                          I have tried that with a Tiffany Popper Fp but found it was too much of a reduction in heat output - Couldnt even make it into 1st-Crack as it happens. Probably worth trying on your setup though, no harm in giving it a go.... 8-) I discovered with my Tiffanys (bought a few of em years ago) that the ideal output was close to 1,000W, down from 1,200W.

That just took enough of the edge off to allow me to roast 150-200g batches right into the middle of Summer. In Winter, I had to throttle the exhaust a little to slow the airflow through the elements - Did this by restricting the exhaust opening with a short piece of fence paling; very high tech.... : I ended up rewinding the main element to a higher resistance with suitable gauge Nichrome Wire. Worked great until recently when the fan finally disintegrated. Same thing happened to my backup Popper as well. Ive got my little Behmor now so its not a concern any more...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 546E6F797A7870686F6972707E691B0 link=1291530047/8#8 date=1291548019
                            I did think the external plastic case could be done away with altogether
                            My Crazy Popper ended up with the top half completely removed.

Originally posted by 546E6F797A7870686F6972707E691B0 link=1291530047/8#8 date=1291548019
                            To answer your question about original air vents Thundergod - they were around the edge of the base.
                            Thanks; typically they are never enough for our purpose.
                            I removed the base plate completely on the CP for unobstructed airflow.
                            My suggestion for others was to replace it with plastic mesh to keep fingers away from wires.

Comment

Just bought one of these, and ordered 2.5kg of greens from beanbay. Will post back once I get the beans and will modify as necessary.

Just for reference, Kmart had at least 100 of these in my local store on display. Must be a big mover.

Comment

Working...
                              X