Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo

I have been roasting with my new setup for a couple a months now getting good results but off late it seems to take longer to get to first crack.

To day I thought I would give the old oven a run to see if there was a difference in brands seeing as they are both 1300..1400 Watt just gos to show that some brands are better then others.

Here is a graph of a profile with the GVA new oven and todays roast with the old CookingEssentials oven. The profile had a pre heat around 70+* and todays was started at 60* and the old girl still managed to over take and bring first crack in at 11:00min..

As you can see the DMM or the USB connection had a hissie fit just before first crack but it goes to show they can differ..

Chees Gra..

Cheers Gra..

Re: Turbo

Hi Gra,

Try it empty, with the temp on max and record the results. Look at the ramp rate, and the max temp it can get to.

Myself and others posted pics of the results (a while ago) on one of the pages in the KKTO beta testers thread.

Factors that influenced the heating ability were:

- brand of TO
    - type of element
    - Hi temp silicone ring between pots (or not)
    - External insulation (or not)
    - Shortest most direct route to power (or not. Eg a thin long extension lead, or via a power board gave poorer results)

However...........

Ive found that unless you want to do large roasts, the heating power will not limit you. MUCH nicer tasting roasts from the KKTO will result with gentle ramps (say max 15C/min) up to around 160C, then back it off to under 10/min to 1C. Try and hold it down then to no more than 2/min between 1C and 2C.

At the start, I also thaw for about 5mins at around 50C to even out the moisture content.

I find that with the KKTO, longer slower roasts are your friend.....

Comment

Originally posted by 777A677461242726150 link=1295073909/1#1 date=1295086708
      Try it empty, with the temp on max and record the results.Look at the ramp rate, and the max temp it can get to.

Myself and others posted pics of the results (a while ago) on one of the pages in the KKTO beta testers thread.

Factors that influenced the heating ability were:

- brand of TO
      - type of element
      - Hi temp silicone ring between pots (or not)
      - External insulation (or not)
      - Shortest most direct route to power (or not. Eg a thin long extension lead, or via a power board gave poorer results)
      Hi Borat
      I was involved in those test back then with my old unit but I will do a dry run with both ovens as you suggest and see what the difference is..
      Looking back on other profiles it seams that the new TO has a flat spot just before first crack where the climb rate drops back low numbers.

Cheers Gra..

Comment

Originally posted by 417467060 link=1295073909/2#2 date=1295094782
        Looking back on other profiles it seams that the new TO has a flat spot just before first crack where the climb rate drops back low numbers.
        Thats exactly where I purposely lower the ramp anyway, but I think its likely the simmerstat causing the element to be off, when you want it on....

I took it out and wired in a manual on/off switch. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1292925707

Comment

Originally posted by 6F627F6C793C3F3E0D0 link=1295073909/3#3 date=1295137959
          Thats exactly where I purposely lower the ramp anyway, but I think its likely the simmerstat causing the element to be off, when you want it on....

Very interesting I will have to look in to that would be handy controlling the element manually..

I have done a dry run with both ovens and the old one is fare more active as you can see in the graphs..

I will keep using it and keep the new one as backup..

Gra..

Comment

Hey Gra, how are ya mate!
            Ah ha, i know what your problem is Gra! its that bloody dog on your screen! its eating CPU power up! I experienced the same problems, with every TO i had, they would start out good and get worse from there, i put it down to wear and tear on the element/fan and or the seal of my TO deteriorating, i found it quite a battle to keep my TO running sweet so i ended up ditching the whole lot, now i just use the Behmor waiting for Andys super mod to be released! YAY!!! 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 12163029292C33242B450 link=1295073909/5#5 date=1295351178
              Hey Gra, how are ya mate!
              Ah ha, i know what your problem is Gra! its that bloody dog on your screen! its eating CPU power up!
              You could be wright there mate the little bugger is always popping up when not wanted ;D

I built a new setup with better insulation and paddle ect just for some thing to do so I got a new oven as well it was ok for half dozen roast the slowed up..
              The old girl still performs as she did out of the box goes to show if it ant broke dont fix it. :-/

Cheers Gra..

Comment

I am still using the original Tiffany Turbo oven that was purchased and used on the first KKTO design

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 4F6B626261615B4F6B77696B040 link=1295073909/7#7 date=1296821734
                  I am still using the original Tiffany Turbo oven that was purchased and used on the first KKTO design

KK
                  I only picked up the new TO as a spare when I built the second roaster it turned out that its not as good as the old girl So I back to using it now which is my original unit..

Cheers Gra..

Comment

Originally posted by 073221400 link=1295073909/8#8 date=1296878378
                    I only picked up the new TO as a spare when I built the second roaster it turned out that its not as good as the old   So I back to using it now which is my original unit..

Cheers Gra..  
                    I did read that on your earlier posts

I just wanted to post to make the point that with a little user care and due diligence a Turbo Oven can last many years and several hundred roasts

Different brands can perform differently and this is due mainly to the TOs thermostat set up parameters  

KK

Comment

My Galloping Gourmet top (bought used) has done over 1400 roasts since 2006. I take it apart and clean it every few months.

Comment

Originally posted by 4641524D524F415354200 link=1295073909/10#10 date=1297004359
                        My Galloping Gourmet top (bought used) has done over 1400 roasts since  2006. I take it apart and clean it every few months.
                        G Day farmoast

That ticks a few boxes with regards to Turbo Oven longevity [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 7572617E617C726067130 link=1295073909/10#10 date=1297004359
                          My Galloping Gourmet top (bought used) has done over 1400 roasts since  2006. I take it apart and clean it every few months.
                          Once apart what components specifically do you clean?

Comment

Originally posted by 707D7E70120 link=1295073909/12#12 date=1297078594
                            Originally posted by 7572617E617C726067130 link=1295073909/10#10 date=1297004359
                            Once apart what components specifically do you clean?
                            Be careful if you pull apart... ALL 240V and get it wrong any YOUR toast.

I just blow mine out with compressed air.

Comment

AM - that is what I do now with a reverse vacuum cleaner

Comment

Working...
                              X