Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Very First Coffee Roasting Experience (Behmor 1600 + Peru Ceja de Selva Estate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Very First Coffee Roasting Experience (Behmor 1600 + Peru Ceja de Selva Estate)

Folks,

It took me 1 hour to sweep through the forum for Behmor roasting hints and tips before making my very first roast of Peru Ceja de Selva Estate beans, which Andy sent along with the roaster last week.

I followed strictly to the safe guidelines of 1/2 lbs, P2, B with 225g of beans.

First crack at 8:32 minutes, followed by second at about the 12th minute.

I prolonged between 1st and 2nd crack time by opening the door slightly.

At about 20 seconds through the 2nd crack, I started the cooling cycle and cranked up my domestic-style primitive cooling system.

As a result of the help of all CoffeeSnobs roaster members, here is my final product:

Thank you all for the help you have given me!

Re: My Very First Coffee Roasting Experience (Behmor 1600 + Peru Ceja de Selva Estate)

thats a really nice looking first roast and a pretty good gap between FC and SC

Andy has been very good to provide many people with the peru to start with, helps newies get a handle on the behmor, as well as a really good reference point

Bet youve already tried it havnt you

Comment

Re: My Very First Coffee Roasting Experience (Behmor 1600 + Peru Ceja de Selva Estate)

Great first effort "mirx"..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Youve got to tell us how the brew tasted now

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E465C415D5A574C41472E0 link=1304225931/1#1 date=1304234256
        Bet youve already tried it havnt you
        Originally posted by 6A47434F422E0 link=1304225931/2#2 date=1304250452
        Youve got to tell us how the brew tasted now
        Yeah I did! It is light-bodied and it has a good balance of acidity. It may go well with milk, but I was just too keen to try it on its own before! However, I have to admit there are some grassy after-taste. Not a bad thing, I guess. Maybe its just a characteristic of its origins. Im still new to this whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 464259532B0 link=1304225931/3#3 date=1304252690
          some grassy after-taste
          Typically you get that when the roast is a little fast or a little light. Maybe add 20-40g more beans in the next roast which will slow it down a little and take it a little longer in time.

You should be able to roast the grassy flavours out and it will help with the body too.

Keep experimenting, learning and taking lots of notes and you will have the perfect roasts in no time.

Enjoy!

Comment

And thats as good an example you will ever find, on why its so important to taste your roast results. You just dont know exactly what you have ended up with unless you try it. Adjustments can then be made to refine future roasts and therefore, the main reason why good records need to be kept of each and every roast.

Still a darn fine roast outcome though "mirx" 8-).... Keep tasting it each day from now on too, so that you get a feel for how the flavour develops over time. An interesting exercise in and of itself...

Have fun

Mal.

Comment

I tried it out with milk this morning, and thought they complemented very well!

Will soon do a light roast for syphon!

Thanks guys, once again!

Comment

My first post ... I have just received my Behmor after limited popcorn popper roasting (enough to get hooked:-)).

The posts in this forum are fantastic.  I have just received my Behmor and the Peru Beans, so will be trying it out this weekend.

I wondered how Darryl (mirx) has progressed since his first post above?

Best regards,  Chris

Comment

Sorry for Hijacking the thread, but i thought it would be good to keep this info together for any futher people asking.'

While i cant see what the colour of the roast is above, i am going to assume 99% that i never even went past FC on my first roast.
                  I have done 2 100g roasts, as follows (with this bean)
                  First did a 60s warm up on P1 with beans in (then stopped the machine) selected 1/4 P2 B/C (10 min roast time) FC was at 5.30 and I put the machine into COOL at 7.30 (this should have been SC or very close to it) There was certainly no difference in sound.
                  Second roast, no Warm up Used 1/4 P2 A (8.30 roast time) FC was at 8.00 mins added 15s and and let the machine go into cool - this roast is probably VERY LIGHT. as i think i didnt even complete Rolling FC.

In both cases i opened the door during cooling.

By roasts however looked REALLY dark on a white plate and i thought i had over roasted them. This could also be bad lighting (so i will check again under good light)

The biggest problem is that i am not sure how to tell the diff between FC and SC, i might need to push it to the max to work that out. But I am paranoid becuase the UserGuide says DO NOT GO FURTHER than 10s into SC.

Comment

Working...
                  X