New Korean Home Roaster soon avialable in Australia- I-Coffee-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Korean Home Roaster soon avialable in Australia- I-Coffee-

I have been using one of these Korean I-Coffee roasters at home for a few years whilst I went through the long process of getting them approved (electrical certification) for use in Australia. Approval has finally been granted and Sorrentina Coffee will soon be offering them for sale.

These machines are very well made, weighty, and nicely finished as we have come to expect from Korean made products. The aesthetic appearance is highly unusual and has been described as SteamPunk. The Roaster is finished in wood paneling...

The I-Coffee roasts primarily via conduction but also convection- a large circular element heats the base of the non-stick teflon coated roast pan- and a fan keeps air circulating in the roast chamber. The beans generally roast very evenly.

The fan also sucks all the chaff into a highly efficient chaff catcher that catches and separates virtually 100% of the chaff easily. It is a breeze to clean. 

The Roaster features an afterburner
    that removes virtually all smoke when roasting on the automated cycle- meaning roasting indoors is possible. The nice smell of the coffee is strong and clean- but only a few whisps of smoke can be seen.  The Automated cycle offers various roast lengths and a cooling cycle. The cooling cycle can be initiated early if desired and the roast length can be reset manually to add more time.

The Roaster can also be used manually (my preferred method) but there is some smoke when the beans are removed for cooling (as you would expect). There is a nice matching accessory bean cooler for manual roasts (you can always use two metal colanders if you want- or make a simple electric cooler).

You cannot make many adjustments to the roast- only having control over its duration. In use though this works well- the motor is quiet enough that you can easily hear first and second crack and the large clear glass viewing dome means it is easy to visually assess the roast as it progresses. Average roast times for 150 grams of beans vary between 12 and 14 minutes. There is usually good time separation between first and second crack (1 to 4 minutes). Most green beans can be roasted to any level desired.

The Roaster has a maximum capacity of 150 grams- making it one of the smaller domestic roasters. Good for a small household and also an excellent roaster for sample/blend testing.

I will post more information here - and answer any questions anyone may have as best I can. For the time being the best introduction is this little video which I made on the weekend. Forgive its commercial cheesiness if you can... Enjoy:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjU9rTw6x6s[/media]

if anyone can let me know how to embed this video directly here I will do it

Re: New Korean Home Roaster soon avialable in Australia- I-Coffee-

I guess the big question is going to be price?

Comment

a special introductory price to be announced very soon ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by 524D4F554C594E4F58200 link=1306903767/1#1 date=1306906247
        I guess the big question is going to be price?
        Yes, completely agree.

I suspect what will limit this when compared with the various other offerings will come down to the capacity of this machine versus cost.

By my rough estimate the finished roast would yield approximately 120 grams.

Comment

the roast in the video yielded exactly 127 grams. I am hopeful the biggest limit on this roaster will be the capacity... and not the price :-)

Comment

Some google-fu indicates that recommended volume is about 100gm coffee (I assume green).

Of the prices I could find mentioned - Ill edit and avoid spectulation - and leave it at waiting for temptation.

That said - if the price is down around Behmor money - it might be a goer - even with the small(ish) batch size from the stuff I found. Cant wait to see more info about it, love the look, the minister of War and Finance may even be swayed by some good arguments . :

Comment

I found 150 grams works fine- except perhaps with a very few beans that demand a great deal more roasting than normal. Actually the only such bean I found was an Indian Robusta from Green Bay. But even then 150 is fine if you add time at the end of the roast program and manually cool the beans.

Comment

I love the look of it

Comment

It looks like a Dalek had its way with an old valve radio ;D

Comment

LMAO Bean Bear

I just watched the video, I tell you if there is something Id buy just on coolness value regardless of the fact that I have a fully functional modified popper that does a fantastic job, it would be this

Comment

Originally posted by 534F5252454E54494E41434F46464545200 link=1306903767/0#0 date=1306903767
                      if anyone can let me know how to embed this video directly here I will do it
                      All done mate....

In the list of html tags, select the one to the R.H. side of the Email tag and all will be revealed. Its titled "Insert Media"....

Mal.

Comment

Looks like a great little roaster for those (like me) who dont involve ourselves in roast profiles. I bet it would take 250g - there looked like plenty of room in there!

That would be my perfect batch, a full weeks worth.

Im up for one... Send it up and Ill test it for you!

Comment

Thanks for embedding the video Mal. I actually tried what you did but failed. I will figure it out...

Not sure about 250 grams- there is plenty of room but I am not sure if there is enough heat and how even the roast will be. It is calibrated for 150. I will do a test. 250 may be OK for beans that roast fast/easy, or for lighter roasts.

I often roast three batches on a weekend and end up with around 350+/- grams of coffee which is enough for 8 days at our place... Its nice for blending small quantities.... I do wish they had made it ever so slightly larger capacity- but we cant have everything.

Comment

Cant wait to see the price, nice looking device larger than I first thought.

Comment

It does look interesting (well not visually interesting!). The timber doesnt particularly float my boat but its not really an item you keep on the bench so it doesnt matter too much.

The 100-125g does seem fairly small but it looks easy enough from the video.

I will follow with interest the cost of the unit and the cooling accessory.

Comment

Working...
                              X