I-Coffee roasting experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-Coffee roasting experiences

I thought I would start a thread dedicated to experiences with this new roaster - I think it is more suited to this section than the Home Roasting one due to it being machine specific, but the mods can move it if need be!

Tonight I did a 250g batch of Nicaraguan La Gloria Las Bristas.

The profile from cold (15 degrees):

First crack start: 13:55
    First crack end: 15:35
    Second crack start (and roast end): 17:10

Turbo-cooled

A very even roast, smells great! I think that this machine actualy roasts better with 250g that it does with 150.

Re: I-Coffee roasting experiences

Based on the photo I would say that its an impressive roast result

Please post again with taste tests JayBee

KK

Comment

Looks very good, very even roast cant wait till mine arrives later this week.

Comment

I think mine will be here today

Comment

I agree with the others... 8-)

Great looking roast result mate, but you need to let us know how it tastes in the cup....

Mal.

Comment

Its the first time I roasted this bean, so I may do a popper version tonight for comparison - depending on how the Origin goes!

And in complete agreement with everyone - the taste test is the really important one.

Comment

Origin went badly - so did the popper roast!

Pulled at the slow onset of second crack after 8 mins (its cold in qld). Very ugly.

Comment

I guess that just goes to show that while a Popper will get you started, it isnt intended to compete directly with a factory roaster unless significantly modded.

Just the same, Ive had some beaut coffee from un-modded poppers so still happy to recommend that newbies give em a try.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Shows that the I-Coffee is pretty good. Go the Blues lol

Comment

Originally posted by 1B36323E335F0 link=1308062552/7#7 date=1308151264
                    Just the same, Ive had some beaut coffee from un-modded poppers so still happy to recommend that newbies give em a try....
                    Totally correct - Peruvian comes out much nicer. Some beans are just plain difficult to roast and that is where the equipment will really begin to make a visible difference I guess.

On that subject, I have tried a peruvian I roasted in the I-Coffee last friday and it has yet to develop its true flavour. I pre heated the machine before roasting and am beginning to think that this is a mistake and that the ramp up from cold would be a positive thing as far as the roast is concerned.

Comment

I had my first go last night with 200 grams of the Peru Ceja de Selva Estate.

It was my first ever go at roasting.

I dont have a photo on me as I had to finish cooking dinner and then watch State of Origin but I let it run a little long I think and it ran into a pretty good second crack as I started cooling it, a bit like the first video Sorrentina put up.

Next time I wont roast next to a running washing machine and will pull before second crack starts, rather than waiting for the first snaps of second crack and pulling, the momentum got me.

beans look pretty good though, may have some oil spotting on the surface, Ill try them tonight and see what I get, better go check the tasting notes in the cupping room.

and back ;D

Sounds like a lot of people find it better after a week and a few were roasting quite dark so it will be interesting to see how it develops. Might have to do another roast as 175grams brown wont see me through to the 6 day mark

Comment

Originally posted by 7E786F647E7961630A0 link=1308062552/10#10 date=1308185773
                        It was my first ever go at roasting.
                        Feels great, doesnt it!

I did another 250g batch from cold tonight - this time Peruvian too. I am drinking a batch from last friday now, which is ok but still a little young.

This one went 1CS - 13:55, 1CE 16:00, 2CS/PULL 17:45.

I think the moral of the story is that this little gem can produce a great even roast every time and is a nice entry level roaster. Of course we still have a propper tasting to come, but I doubt that my pallet will be able to pull those subtle flavours out like the pros - I will have to leave that to them!

Next batch, I may leave it to run a minute into 2C and roast a little darker...

Comment

had my first taste tonight as an espresso, great crema, looked really good in the glass but lacking in taste. Some nutty/chocolate flavours but nothing really. Tried it in milk and whilst nice still a bit nothing.

Like I said before the Peru is supposed to get better after 6 days so, I might have to do a couple of batches so I have some left that long ;D but be interesting to see if it gets good sooner like the baby roaster, given that a lot of the roasting is done by conduction rather than convection

Will have to do a KJM blend as well 8-)

Comment

Nice one Trentski,

It will be interesting to see if there is any left by the time it comes good ;D

Comment

Wow!

Thats another beautiful roast JayBee... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Youre going to be buzzing after taste testing these every day until theyre gone ;D

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X