Wannabe KKTO Home Roasters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wannabe KKTO Home Roasters...

BigW have got a Turbo Oven (looks like the Quartz Halogen element variety) coming up on special as from the 30th of June...

Might be worth a look....

Mal.

Re: Wannabe KKTO Home Roasters...

Thats a fantastic price for a turbo oven
    By the looks of it. The more popular they are the cheaper they get

They are also very good for chicken roast   :-*

KK

Comment

Does anyone have experience of using both Halogen and Rigid element Turbo Ovens. If so, what are the pros and cons for the two different types?

I would imagine that Halogen ovens would have more direct radiant energy, and would respond to power changes more quickly?

BB

Comment

Originally posted by 5770747B4A57707467150 link=1308753426/2#2 date=1308800112
        Does anyone have experience of using both Halogen and Rigid element Turbo Ovens. If so, what are the pros and cons for the two different types?

I would imagine that Halogen ovens would have more direct radiant energy, and would respond to power changes more quickly?

BB
        I have only used the solid element thus far for over 400 roasts and counting
        I like the idea of the light in the halogen units

KK

Comment

BB, have used and own both, currently using the halogen one. Reacts more quickly to the thermostat & temp changes. The light is a HUGE plus. If I had to buy another TO I would be buying the halogen type again.

Steve

Comment

Thanks KK and Steve,

I put a lamp on the side of my TO (solid element type) to get consistent lighting inside, so I can see how the light from the halogen would be good, but doesnt the halogen switch on and off with the thermostat?

I suspect that like KK my TO will last hundreds of roasts but if there is some reason to change it’s only $40. The unit Mal linked to doesn’t seem to have the extender ring, which I think is useful.

BB

Comment

The element stays on up until the 1C region then I drop the temp and it cycles on & off. It is on enough of the time to keep an eye on the colour changes and you always have the ambient lighting. I also first brought the solid type and when I found these on sale for around $60 I thought why not. For $40 I dont think there ia a decision to make.........just do it . My solid type sits in the cupboard as a back up :
              Steve

Comment

Found another option in Woolworths Supermarket today. $40 halogen but instead of the glass pot a SS pot (they also have a glass pot version for $40).
                Since the TO is a neat fit in the top of the large SS pot, I am now looking to find a SS stock pot / pasta set to fit neatly into the large pot.

Greg.P

Comment

Originally posted by 3932332A296C6A5A0 link=1308753426/7#7 date=1310569064
                  Found another option in Woolworths Supermarket today. $40 halogen but instead of the glass pot a SS pot (they also have a glass pot version for $40).
                  Since the TO is a neat fit in the top of the large SS pot, I am now looking to find a SS stock pot / pasta set to fit neatly into the large pot.

Greg.P
                  I dont think they make a 32mm insert however I didnt look into the commercial range available

The stainless steel  type of TO will suit the original KKTO design

Same rules apply with volume ect

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3LoJtvgELc[/media]

KK

Comment

I saw yesterday in the delivered junk mail that Homeart have their halogen lamp ovens going out for either $29.00 or $39.00 :-/. I would be grabbing a spare if I didnt already have one.

Steve

Comment

Well I went and purchased a halogen Turbo Oven
                      Borat sent me a PM on a 24 hour special as a heads up

Now I will be roasting with "light"
                      When I get around to it  : as its a spare for now

KK

Comment

Im pleased you have "seen the light" and a moving away from "the dark side"

Steve

Comment

I have seen turbo ovens with a stainless steel pot.

would this be simple to work with compared to a glass pot?

Comment

Originally posted by 29222312232C243F234D0 link=1308753426/12#12 date=1312856792

would this be simple to work with compared to a glass pot?

This stainless steel type will only suit the older KKTO design roaster
                            Same concept but diferent and more complicated build

See the video above

KK

Comment

I have used one of these for my version and as KK has said construction is a bit different to the standard KKTO.

I think the pot size is a bit larger than what has been determined to be optimal but I find this is only a problem when doing larger batches.

Some pics of mine are in this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1310730958

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X