My new KKTO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new KKTO!

After much research and "umming & agrhhing" I have finally decided to upgrade from the Behmor to a KKTO.

Tonite I ordered a fully assembled KKTO and the USB Temperature Data Logger
    from CSs.

I want to roast to sell to keen coffee drinkers in my little town, and maybe even a couple of cafes, I considered a HAS Garanti Electric 1KG but the cost was a bit too high to justify without testing the waters.

I figure I will see how I go with the KKTO, if its not up to the job, or sales are stronger than I suspect then I can reconsider.

I know the Behmor has well & truly paid for itself in the time I have owned it, so it shouldnt take long to return the investment in the KKTO.

I look forward to picking the collective brains of my fellow snobs about getting the most out of it!

Re: My new KKTO!

Hi there
    The KKTO is a great unit, I just past 235 roasts in mine and its still going strong

Mal

Comment

Congrats on the purchase & I look forward to your user review after a settling or learning in period

And a follow up after a few hundred roasts

KK

Comment

It seems second hand behmors are easy to sell If I didnt have a KKTO in the post my self i would be very interested.

Comment

KKTO finally arrived on the barge today, put it together tonite, drilled a hole for the thermocouple, threw caution to the wind and chucked the 1kg of Niguraguan beans that came with it in and roasted away!

It took a bit long with 1KG in to reach 1C, but very easy to observe what was happening with a head torch, probably ran away from me a little at the end to finish slightly darker than I would normally prefer, but I havent got my cooling setup installed yet so thats to be expected with such a bean mass.

http://galumay.smugmug.com/X100/Yumm...1_D8QXWBr-A-LB

Comment

Originally posted by 7375786179756D140 link=1309198263/4#4 date=1311078018
            KKTO finally arrived on the barge today, put it together tonight, drilled a hole for the thermocouple, threw caution to the wind and chucked the 1kg of Nicaraguan beans that came with it in and roasted away!

It took a bit long with 1KG in to reach 1C, but very easy to observe what was happening with a head torch, probably ran away from me a little at the end to finish slightly darker than I would normally prefer, but I havent got my cooling setup installed yet so thats to be expected with such a bean mass.

http://galumay.smugmug.com/X100/Yumm...1_D8QXWBr-A-LB

What a beautiful looking maiden roast on your brand new KKTO galumay
            Wishing you many hundreds of roasts ahead

On your photo link I also like those huge crabs a cooking
            Now thats a match made in heaven
            Coffee and seafood

KK

Comment

That is certainly a great looking roast for espresso galumay.

Let us know how it tasted after a few days.

OT. In that first pic, is that hollandaise sauce im guessing at with the crab?
              My mother lives in Port Hedland. Muddies up there.

Gary at G

Comment

Thanks! I was certainly happy for a first roast in the KKTO, I guess having roasted about 50KGs in the Behmor gave me the confidence first up with the KKTO.

Yep, Eggs ArnhemLand is a muffin with poached egg, mudcrab meat and hollandaise sauce!

Comment

Originally posted by 60666B726A667E070 link=1309198263/7#7 date=1311161556
                  Thanks! I was certainly happy for a first roast in the KKTO, I guess having roasted about 50KGs in the Behmor gave me the confidence first up with the KKTO.

I know you didnt wait to long for a first drink
                  How did those Sumatran beans taste

KK

Comment

They were actually Nicuraguan, the beans were good, this week I have been concentrating on building the roast bench, largely inspired by fellow coffee snob, wsully.

I have attached a few images of the unfinished project, it has yet to be painted and final installation completed, but I bought a 2nd hand desk, stuck some castors on it, made a box for the KKTO, lagged the KKTO with fire blanket, got a vacuum cleaner and prospecting seive off Feebay and a big plastic bucket from bunnings. I have a short thermocouple coming from Feebay, you can see in the pics that I just have the tip of the long one sticking into the bean mass, it doesnt really work because the rest of the probe is outside the KKTO so the short one should fix that.

Today i chucked a version of the KJM house blend in,
                    170g Peru Ceja de Selva Estate
                    140g Nicuraguan La Gloria Las Brisas
                    225g Ethiopian Ghimbi
                    170g Sumatra Sigararutang

Probably took it a little further than I would have preferred, say C10 - but couldnt resist having a taste straight out of the roaster - sublime! It amazed me with its balance and flavour, I am sure the Izzo Lever has something to do with that but still a very impressive result.

The vacuum cleaner to suck the beans into the cooler and then provide the cooling air flow is brilliant, as soon as I saw wsullys setup I knew I had to do the same!

Comment

Incredible
                      Why ohh Why doesnt my wife let me build something like that

A few roasts under your belt and the KKTO will be seasoned very nicely indeed

I sent you an email with a link of a good thermocouple lead

Regards
                      KK

Comment

The long thermocouple should be fine as its only the very tip that reads the temperature.

Having said that the manufacturer of the stainless probes is making us a run of short ones that will be in BeanBay. They should land in the next week.

Great looking setup and roasts too.

Comment

Thanks Andy,

Thats interesting, I had the length of the probe coming in from the side, over the top of the agitator blades, and it read the BT fine, but it was right at the top of a 700g bean mass, now I only have the last 15mm or so in so I can measure in the middle of the bean mass and its reading very low - hence not posting the roast profile.

Comment

The power was off today so I figured it was a fine time to finish the KKTO project with a coat of paint or two, also a pic showing the lagging.

It will never look this good again!!

Comment

You need to paint a clever "Logo" on the front of the box

Nice job  [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X