Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behmor cleaning cycle

Howdy Coffeesnobs,

Im curious as to how often folks are doing the cleaning cycle/dry burn for their Behmors.

At present Ive done it religiously every five roasts as per the manual, but Im not convinced (from a visual standpoint) its required nearly that often. So if I can save myself a bit of time and energy Im inclined to do it less frequently (~10 roasts).

Alternatively, I was thinking about a regular wipe down (between proper cleaning cycles) with a clean sponge and no cleaning products and thus no need for the dry burn?

Is this likely to be a bad idea?

And, for that matter, do people bother cleaning the drum and chaff tray? Or are they better off being seasoned?

Re: Behmor cleaning cycle

hmmm, I must admit- I never did one. I do wipe it down, and vacuum it, but never did a dry burn. No problem so far... never bothered cleaning the drum either... :-X

Comment

I have noticed a buildup of oil resides? on walls and the door and have been removing these with a quick wipedown with nifti after every five or so roasts. Then a dryburn to remove any residues. It certainly keeps the machine clean.

Comment

I wouldnt say I religiously clean out the Behmor; probably averages out to about every 8-10 roast batches.

Basically, I just keep an eye out for signs of coffee oils condensing on the hot side of the viewing window. Soon as I see any, at the end of the current roast session, out comes the Clean Green and I clean up everything in sight, including the drum and the chaff tray. The latter two components I just coat in the Clean Green stuff (its supposed to be organic), leave for a bit sitting on a concrete path then hose of vigorously with the hose.

After everythings been done, its all returned to the roaster for a Dry Burn. The whole process probably takes me no longer than 5 minutes 8-), plus the time for the Burn. Not a hardship I would say....

Mal.

Comment

I do it about every three sessions, which ends up being between 6 and 12 roasts. I personally find that the glass window is easier to scrub clean after a dry burn.

Comment

Originally posted by 223D3F253C293E3F28500 link=1312421215/4#4 date=1312456774
            I personally find that the glass window is easier to scrub clean after a dry burn.
            No scrubbing needed with the Clean Green... All the oils, etc just melt away and can be cleaned up with a paper towel 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Thanks guys. Looks like I can be a bit more slack, which is basically all I was hoping for.

Comment

A strong solution of Caffetto EVO in boiling water cleans the drum, mine is like new after a 30 minute soak in a deep casserole dish containing the solution. It's the first time I've cleaned the drum in 4 years, the paddles were covered in baked on coffee oil, the caffetto shifted it all. Might try the chaff tray in it, in another 4 years.

Comment

I use Clean Green also plus, now and then, put the chaff collector and drum in the dishwasher. Nervous about doing a deep clean, taking off the side panel but will have to I guess. Anyone know if this process is easy?

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme View Post
                    I use Clean Green also plus, now and then, put the chaff collector and drum in the dishwasher. Nervous about doing a deep clean, taking off the side panel but will have to I guess. Anyone know if this process is easy?
                    Very easy to do this more 'thorough' clean. Download maintenance update from Behmor website which leads you through it step by step. Takes about 15 mins to do clean.

Ssan

Comment

Working...
                    X