Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Behmor coming?

Hi,

I was just gonna order the Behmor few days ago before I made a trip to Singapore. and when i checked beanbay again couple of days ago and its now sold out . but i did score a coffee roaster from my uncle there so that will keep me going for a while.

anyways it says that theres a new Australian build coming before Christmas, whatd be the difference between the new and the current version? i checked out sweet marias page and it said theres a new lower type chaff collector, side panels and smaller mesh on the drum. would that be it?

Re: New Behmor coming?

The new version with the shorter chaff collecter and small mesh has been in Australia for the past few years.

There is a newer version with a side fan, but not too sure if thats relevant for Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by 5251444248404D51404F5552210 link=1314419228/1#1 date=1314427386
      The new version with the shorter chaff collecter and small mesh has been in Australia for the past few years.
      Spot on.  The short chaff tray and the infamous "small mesh drum" have always been on the Australian build roasters. We have also always had the stainless drum, and not a chrome one (but please dont tell the rest of the planet that we have had a better one for years!)
      ;D

Originally posted by 5251444248404D51404F5552210 link=1314419228/1#1 date=1314427386
      side fan, but not too sure if thats relevant for Australia.
      Correct, the side fan is more about far hotter climates and serves no roasting difference, just more air over the electronics to protect them.  We dont have a problem with over heating so Im not sure they will be on our build (but might be).

Originally posted by 404D4344535546210 link=1314419228/0#0 date=1314419228
      theres a new Australian build coming
      The roasters that we have sold in the last year were built for the AU/NZ market, came with the Australian plug and met Australian Standards.  We had a whole container.

We will be getting another run of Australian spec roasters built at the factory sometime soon (I dont have dates and even if I did it would still be "soon" as until I can touch them they dont really exist)

So my reference to a "new build" wasnt about new features, just another "built for Australia" batch out of the factory.  We are spoilt, no other roaster is built for our market, others are just adapted to suit.

What might change in this build is the manual.  If anyone wants to write a better manual (or an Australian suppliment) that is more suited to our use then feel free to kick some ideas around in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 113E3429500 link=1314419228/2#2 date=1314450265
        What might change in this build is the manual.  If anyone wants to write a better manual (or an Australian suppliment) that is more suited to our use then feel free to kick some ideas around in this thread.
        Happy to give it a shot, if time commitments allow.

Where could I grab current manual so I know what is involved? I dont want to make any firm commitments before knowing if I could add any value.

Comment

thanks specialpants for replying.

and for the detailed info too Andy. its great to know that the behmor is already the "top" spec but yeah the newer side fan would be good for my use since i might bring it back to jakarta where the climate is generally warm n hot at around 25-30celcius.

ill just have to be patient.. or grab one if theres someone selling at the for sale thread.

Comment

surely an extra fan would be justified in the Qld summer? Even if it is to protect electronics only.

Comment

Sigh... after the roaster being used for 2+ years in Australia there are a total of none, zero, zip, nada cases of electronics failure from overheating.

If anything the addition of a fan on a roaster that doesnt need it adds another moving part that has the potential to fail.

The fan addition was for 40+ climates, not QLD or tropical Indo and it may/may not endup on the Australian build.

Originally posted by 2B232D25273D3D212D254E0 link=1314419228/3#3 date=1314453345
              Where could I grab current manual
              http://www.behmor.com/manual.html#240v

There is the manual and a pile of updates since.

http://www.behmor.com/pdf/english_manual.pdf
              http://behmor.com/pdf/Manual%20Update%202-06-08.pdf
              http://behmor.com/pdf/Manual%20Rev.06.20.08.pdf
              http://behmor.com/pdf/Manual_Update_3.1-Interior_Maintenance_and_DC_Fan.pdf
              http://www.behmor.com/pdf/Profile%20adjustmentsv1.pdf
              http://www.behmor.com/pdf/BT1000NV_Instructions_and_placementEnhanced_B_and_ W_copy_version.pdf

I would also be interested to hear of anything the owners found that was "quirky" or didnt transate from the US manual well.

Comment

only thing that bothered me was the fact that one of the screws holding the side panel on was one of those annoying star shaped ones (not philips)

managed to remove it with a small flat screwdriver, and into the bottom drawer it went and has stayed, would defenitely be nice for this to be mentioned in the manual

apart from that tiny omission ive actually found the manual to be quite good

good to hear for once that us aussies have the better version of something and dont get shafted as is too often the case..., dont let word of that get around please :P

Comment

Originally posted by 736B716C70777A616C6A030 link=1314419228/7#7 date=1314508678
                  one of the screws holding the side panel on was one of those annoying star shaped ones (not philips)

They are called a Torx. Annoying and pointless but alas its a requirement for the EU and AU certification so the end user cannot open it. :P The US dont get torx screws on theirs either so it doesnt appear in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by 7758524F360 link=1314419228/8#8 date=1314509304
                    They are called a Torx.  Annoying and pointless but alas its a requirement for the EU and AU certification so the end user cannot open it.
                    Wow. I have more Torx drivers than phillips/flatblade in my toolkit. I figured everyone had a set as theyre very common.

Now security Torx...theyre another matter >

Comment

Originally posted by 100F0D170E1B0C0D1A620 link=1314419228/9#9 date=1314519645
                      Wow. I have more Torx drivers than phillips/flatblade in my toolkit. I figured everyone had a set as theyre very common.

Now security Torx...theyre another matter
                      Got heaps of the security drivers - no point buying regular drivers as the security driver fits both styles of bolt.
                      It is the regular flat blade ones with the security bump in the middle (Mistral popper) and the triangular ones (Breville grinder) that are a pain, but I got tools for them too now.

Comment

Originally posted by 1639332E570 link=1314419228/6#6 date=1314504390
                        I would also be interested to hear of anything the owners found that was "quirky" or didnt transate from the US manual well.
                        Gday Andy....

Probably the "one thing" I get a lot of queries about, is the the use of profile customisation and how that translates to the manner in which it affects the subsequent profile.

Ive more or less satisfied myself on how this works but perhaps something with pictorial aids may be more suitable for the not so geeky home-roasters among us....

Mal.

Comment

Can anyone advise me on a really good value for money home roaster please.
                          Cheers
                          David

Comment

Originally posted by 3D3B38343B30590 link=1314419228/12#12 date=1314772489
                            Can anyone advise me on a really good value for money home roaster please.
                            I think the Behmor presents itself a home roaster that ranks well in the value for money department.

The hottop is $1000+ and it uses paper filters.

The behmor is $400 delivered and doesnt have any consumables. Just make sure you wipe it down and follow the instructions.

Comment

I agree...

The Behmor and Andys support for it are second to none.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X