Help needed with my DIY KKTO project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with my DIY KKTO project

Im working on KKTO roaster and discovered that the pot i am using is a bit smaller than the standard pot that comes with the kit.

THe insert steamer is somewhat closer to the bottom of the pan by 2cm...
    I was planning to use the motor,shaft and agitator from KK, but now maybe i have to change my plan to use something else.
    COuld someone give me the length of the shaft and the diameter of the shaft?
    i thought there are some alternatives using the double bladed agitator with spring and the motor, instead of buying everything because my pot is shallower ;D
    How and what to use to hold the agitator in the roasting chamber?
    Any thoughts ??
    Here are some info of the pot and the insert steamer:

all in cm
    insert
    height :15.5
    top; rim to rim: 22.5
    inside diameter: 20.5
    bottom diameter:20

pot
    top diameter:23.5
    bottom:22
    height:19.5

steamer in position:
    2cm from the top, 1.5~2cm from the bottom

pics

Re: my DIY KKTO project

Looking good. Im about to start my own mostly DIY build also. Got the pots, bought the liner and silicone tubing off KK but Ill be sourcing everything else elsewhere.

Thinking a wrecker and a wiper motor is the way to go, although a friend helping me with the build has a fan to sacrifice.

Interested in following your progress.

Comment

Re: Help needed with my DIY KKTO project

Hello Carlie & fellow Brisbanian

The shaft is made to lock into the insert as it fits in from the bottom & the agitator blade locks it in from the inside

The bottom of the shaft can be cut to the required length you require
      Its easy as its aluminium

See drawing for measurements

The main shaft is 14mm dia
      KK

Comment

KK showed me the driveshaft and agitator BTW. Very nicely constructed. If I wasnt an inveterate cheapskate I wouldve purchased on the spot.

Comment

KK, thank you for the diagram of the shaft and nice picture of the shaft from different angle
          I just havent made my decision yet.....

I was going to do all DIY, but couldnt think how to make agitator, connect to shaft and then to motor.
          I knew Eds version KKTO seem to be quite good too.
          Will update when i can source a motor that could rotate around 50-80rpm and enough torque( i found one motor that has 17kg cm,80rpm,12V!) with correct components.

Im aiming for over 800g average in a batch
          So need to find my way to make a gear box or reduction motor by myself and then somehow connect with the shaft...

Comment

Originally posted by 6E656C7F6164683D3C3C3D0D0 link=1322278969/4#4 date=1322310946
            Will update when i can source a motor that could rotate around 50-80rpm and enough torque( i found one motor that has 17kg cm,80rpm,12V!) with correct components.

Im aiming for over 800g average in a batch
            So need to find my way to make a gear box or reduction motor by myself and then somehow connect with the shaft...

80 rpm is OK and will work well with larger batches
            It can be slowed down if required with a lower amp power supply

Also note that the motor will slow down with a load
            80rpm is free spinning

KK

Comment

KK,
              I couldnt think a way for a possible easy DIY connecting the motor shaft(6mm) to agitator shaft in two piece construction so that the agitator will be with the beans when i dump to the cooler?

To make the whole roaster shorter, is it ok to drill a hole on the bottom of the pot and attach the motor? of course i will insulate inside the pot and outside too.

Comment

Originally posted by 6A61687B65606C39383839090 link=1322278969/6#6 date=1322374264
                I couldnt think a way for a possible easy DIY connecting the motor shaft(6mm) to agitator shaft in two piece construction so that the agitator will be with the beans when i dump to the cooler?
                My system its designed to have the shaft lock into the motor and become a direct drive system
                And enable the shaft and agitator to be coupled to the roast chamber (perforated pot), thus nothing is loose to tumble off, except the roasted beans of course

Originally posted by 6A61687B65606C39383839090 link=1322278969/6#6 date=1322374264
                To make the whole roaster shorter, is it ok to drill a hole on the bottom of the pot and attach the motor? of course i will insulate inside the pot and outside too.
                I have already designed this system
                But I have taken precautions to protect all critical parts 
                It may make it as part of a new version of the KKTO that is in the planning stage

KK

Comment

The way I did it on my first version of the KKTO was to use a drilled out socket back to front for the coupling.

Gary

Comment

Im in the process of building a KKTO type roaster. I am much indebted to posters on this forum - much respect. Here are pics of the build for those that are curious. It still needs a motor, and I plan on adding insulation.

I am a student on a budget, so Ive managed to make it with parts on hand.

Keen to get roasting soon!

Comment

Originally posted by 283F27254C0 link=1322278969/9#9 date=1325754623
                      Im in the process of building a KKTO type roaster. I am much indebted to posters on this forum - much respect. Here are pics of the build for those that are curious. It still needs a motor, and I plan on adding insulation.

I am a student on a budget, so Ive managed to make it with parts on hand.

Keen to get roasting soon!
                      Make sure you reduce your volume in the outer pot
                      Or you wont be able to roast large batches

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 17333A3A39390317332F31335C0 link=1322278969/10#10 date=1325755917
                        Thanks for the tip KK, I am in your debt. I notice it is bigger in volume than some others. I might start it on some small batches, and look toward a volume reducing mod.

Comment

Originally posted by 6B7C64660F0 link=1322278969/11#11 date=1325758808
                          Originally posted by 17333A3A39390317332F31335C0 link=1322278969/10#10 date=1325755917
                          Thanks for the tip KK, I am in your debt. I notice it is bigger in volume than some others. I might start it on some small batches, and look toward a volume reducing mod.
                          Aim for 9 litres in air volume including the dome of the TO

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 7B5F565655556F7B5F435D5F300 link=1322278969/12#12 date=1325759187
                            Koffee Kosmo wrote Yesterday at 7:31pm:

Aim for 9 litres in air volume including the dome of the TO

KK

Thanks again for the tip KK. I measured the outer pot at 11L to the brim, plus the volume of the glass dome - could be up to another litre. Looks like I need to cut down about 3L ideally.

Comment

Also start thinking about external insulation
                              Also a high temp silicone seal for the Pot Rim to TO connection point

Every bit of heat that is prevented from escaping is utilised for roasting

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X