Another Happy KKTO Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Happy KKTO Owner

Just when the feeling of contentment is complete with the coretto, it was not long before this roaster was dangling in front of me like a carrot.

Have read all about it based on owners positive feedback over here, on other forums and Beanscene magazines Coffeesnobs Corner. So the thought of having one of those has always been on my mind.

Took the plunge and bought their demo model from Barazi.

A Homeart turbo oven was sourced for $39.

After what seemed like 8 long days and thinking the truck must have taken the coastal road round to WA, i received it and promptly got about setting it up.

First roast was the Peru De Selva 600gm green to produce 500gm browns.
    25 minutes later was the most even roast ever done on the Peru.

Decided later to wrap the KKTO with a double wrap of the fire blanket as well as a towel for added insulation properties.

Bought times down to 22 minutes.

Based on the times achieved, the recommended step of pre-heating the oven for 5 minutes for 250 deg celcius as well as maintaining that temperature for the duration of the roasting process achieved the best results for me.

Koffee Kosmo has been helpful in providing friendly support when needed, and quickly.

Could not hear any cracks unless i lifted the oven up due to the insulating properties of the roaster coupled with the thick glass of the oven.
    After a while i got the hang of it, and the new vacuum bean cooler sucked up the beans in under 12 seconds and cooled in 50 seconds.
    The cooler also came in handy for extracting chaff from the bin liner and keeping the work bench neat and tidy.

Speaking of tidy, i never saw the need for the DMM logging due to the gentle heat and intuitive nature of the roaster. Just the senses of sight and smell.

What can i say about the result in the cup. . .
    put it this way, the samples i gave to my work colleagues and friends has resulted that i am now currently roasting 5 kg a week to keep up with demand.
    Now i know how Smokeydeck feels.

I thought id share my experiences at this stage of my coffee journey and show what is achievable for a result that can be on par with commercial offerings.

Here are some pics of the basic and simple, but effective set-up.

Gary at G

Re: Another Happy KKTO Owner

Under the bench lives a plastic container with beans, bags, book for taking notes and a set of measuring cup/scale hybrid.
    Like i said before, the PC and logger is not needed any more, so the station has been reduced to an area of1.2 metres by 1.2 metres.

The vac cooler will be discussed in the bean cooler thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 302A272634223A3030430 link=1323682741/0#0 date=1323682741
      Just when the feeling of contentment is complete with the coretto, it was not long before this roaster was dangling in front of me like a carrot.

Have read all about it based on owners positive feedback over here, on other forums and Beanscene magazines Coffeesnobs Corner. So the thought of having one of those has always been on my mind.

Took the plunge and bought their demo model from Barazi.

A Homeart turbo oven was sourced for $39.

After what seemed like 8 long days and thinking the truck must have taken the coastal road round to WA, i received it and promptly got about setting it up.

First roast was the Peru De Selva 600gm green to produce 500gm browns.
      25 minutes later was the most even roast ever done on the Peru.

Decided later to wrap the KKTO with a double wrap of the fire blanket as well as a towel for added insulation properties.

Bought times down to 22 minutes.

Based on the times achieved, the recommended step of pre-heating the oven for 5 minutes for 250 deg celcius as well as maintaining that temperature for the duration of the roasting process achieved the best results for me.

Koffee Kosmo has been helpful in providing friendly  support when needed, and quickly.

Could not hear any cracks unless i lifted the oven up due to the insulating properties of the roaster coupled with the thick glass of the oven.
      After a while i got the hang of it, and the new vacuum bean cooler sucked up the beans in under 12 seconds and cooled in 50 seconds.
      The cooler also came in handy for extracting chaff from the bin liner and keeping the work bench neat and tidy.

Speaking of tidy, i never saw the need for the DMM logging due to the gentle heat and intuitive nature of the roaster. Just the senses of sight and smell.

What can i say about the result in the cup. . .
      put it this way, the samples i gave to my work colleagues and friends has resulted that i am now currently roasting 5 kg a week to keep up with demand.
      Now i know how Smokeydeck feels.

I thought id share my experiences at this stage of my coffee journey and show what is achievable for a result that can be on par with commercial offerings.

Here are some pics of the basic and simple, but effective set-up.

Gary at G
      Welcome to the KKTO family Gary, the latest Koffee Kosmo roaster owner
      I hope with continued use and familiarity you will be roasting like a pro

But Roasting 15kg of greens in 3 weeks is quite a grueling break in period   [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

I am sure everyone would be following this thread with interest.
      Please  keep us updated on your progress and milestones

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

KK

Comment

Cheers KK.

Appreciate your advice and help during the dial in period. Was easy to do.

Could not roast today as thunderstorms sent a pool of water through the garage.

Next challenge, how to de-rust a de-commisioned 15 kg roaster and have it sent across the Nullabour. . .

Gary at G

Comment

gary would you be by any chance talking about one from evil bay lol

i recall seeing one on there

Comment

Thats the same one mate. Shes a beauty aint she?

Comment

oh wow, yes she is

when are you getting her

Comment

We will be expecting a KKTO roasting demo at a bean pickup early next year Gary
                lookin goooooooood

Comment

Originally posted by 444D454747280 link=1323682741/6#6 date=1323733057
                  when are you getting her

Hi lemoo,

Shes all yours mate I suppose i could have taken another plunge even darker into the deep depths of upgraditis, but no, as long as i can see the bottom of my very shallow money piggy bank, Ill have to be content with the current situation.....for now. . . .

Originally posted by 4F5A4D4D46454946280 link=1323682741/7#7 date=1323736349
                  We will be expecting a KKTO roasting demo at a bean pickup early next year Gary
                  lookin goooooooood

Maaate!! Howdy Greenman,

Yeah, well see if Simon can add yet another toy to his stable.
                  Will be interesting to gauge how they all react to this in the flesh.

Will be great to catch up again after a long hiatus.

Gary at G

Comment

Hope you dont mind Gary, but rather than start another happy KKTO customer thread, I thought Id tack onto yours.

First, many thanks to KK for sourcing the bits, answering silly questions and the development of a great product/system. Ditto on the development to Andy ... you only just missed out on the silly question, after I came perilously close to not re-reading the instructions (damn you Bill Gates and your Sydney summer home!!) Also thanks are due to the many beta testers no doubt.

The set up?

Works great. Still needs a dedicated light source on the beans (rather than the Maglite torch. Slight hitch with the cooling - it works so well I have to turn the vac off briefly so I can get the lid off! ;D

The first roast?

500g of Ghimbi and pretty good considering the major limiting factor ...

... the idiot at the controls.

Comment

Congrats Java Junkie, glad it all arrived safe and sound
                      And I hope my assembly instructions were easy to follow

With a little practice & familiarisation It wont be to long before you will be your streets best person to know

Tasmania is now KKTO-ed [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 5F7B727271714B5F7B67797B140 link=1323682741/10#10 date=1324372729
                        It wont be to long before you will be your streets best person to know
                        You mean I wasnt up till now??

Tasmania is now KKTO-ed   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
                        And your (not so) evil plan for world domination is one step closer!

Comment

Originally posted by 303E2E3F3128382E5D0 link=1323682741/11#11 date=1324373886
                          You mean I wasnt up till now ??
                          Yes but now you can extend it to the surrounding area
                          Its the coffee aroma that will attract them

Originally posted by 303E2E3F3128382E5D0 link=1323682741/11#11 date=1324373886
                          And your (not so) evil plan for world domination is one step closer!
                          The only places lagging behind is the ACT and The Principality of Hutt River

KK

Comment

Thats a darn fine looking system you got there Java.
                            No dramas on the tag team ride on this thread mate.

From what i see, yours and Galumay seem to share similar features in terms of cabinetry to house the KKTO.
                            Looks really neat.

That vac cooler certainly makes life easier dont it?

What part of the house is that in, and how do you deal with smoke extraction?

Welcome to the KKTO community.

Gary at G

Comment

Originally posted by 3B212C2D3F29313B3B480 link=1323682741/13#13 date=1324406691
                              Thats a darn fine looking system you got there Java.
                              No dramas on the tag team ride on this thread mate.

From what i see, yours and Galumay seem to share similar features in terms of cabinetry to house the KKTO.
                              Looks really neat.
                              Ive stolen ideas from a few people here ( its why we come to a forum after all). Galumays cabinetry did appeal, but I think my under bench option is a step up!

That vac cooler certainly makes life easier dont it?
                              Yes, again stolen from (I think) WSully? - but when I came to think about it, I have built one before ...

- its called a "thein cyclone" (also stolen from the net) and works a treat even after the 44 and the overflow bag are full ... (hence the mess :-[), but as I said above, 3 horses seemed overkill - the little shop vac is more than enough!

What part of the house is that in, and how do you deal with smoke extraction?
                              Its in a corner of the garage. Smoke extraction? What smoke extraction? Does a window count?

Welcome to the KKTO community. 
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X