Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exciting Hottop news - bigger and better roaster coming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting Hottop news - bigger and better roaster coming!

After feeling like I was beating my head against a brick wall for the past two years, I got a reply today from the top brass in Hottop with some fantastic news! Hottop plan to release a bigger and better version of their KN-8828 series roaster!

Bigger because its expected to have a capacity of 600-800g. Better because theres talk of a number of improvements to both the (already excellent) control system and overall design. I understand the control system is based on the KN-8828B but theres some talk of a two-way USB interface which, if I understand correctly, means theres the possibility the roaster will not only export control data to a PC but will be able to be controlled by the PC too, out of the box. Im pretty sure its going to run a stock bean mass probe too but dont quote me on that. There are also improvements to the filtration system.

The unit is still in prototype so specs and final design are not bedded down yet, but heres a happy snap of the prototype. It obviously owes a lot to its predecessor and while Im not sure how close this will be to the real thing its nice to see something concrete at last on this!

Its slated for Q2 2012 at this stage. Not sure on pricing but given its significantly bigger and heavier all round than the 300g unit currently in production that lists for $1500, its obviously going to be somewhat more. So I see this more as a parallel product, rather than a replacement for the current KN-8828 v2 series. But for those who want the extra capacity without spending $5k+ on a 1kg gas roaster this could just fit the bill.

I dont know a whole lot more about it but feel free to ask if theres anything specific youd like to know and Ill see what I can find out.

Greg

Re: Exciting Hottop news - bigger and better roaster coming!

Blimey,Ive just finished unpacking my new HottopB-2 not less than 20 mins ago.....still, I am content with 250grm roasts...better opportunity to play with profiles.

The prototype looks a bit like a silver 3801 steam train.

Thanks Greg for your excellent service.
    JL

Comment

whoa!

Comment

@JL: Your B-2 is a great unit as it is, dont worry too much about this new one just yet. As I said I dont think this new one makes the current range obsolete. The control system does sound exciting, in fact its possible theres a PID in the control system for implementing profile data read from the PC; but it remains to be seen whats conjecture and what actually ends up in the final cut.

Greg

Comment

I will be interested in the price. I normally roast 2 x 600gm lots once a fortnight (and that is just for me and the wife). I will wait with baited breath for the release, I will then assess how far my Snob budget will stretch.

Comment

Try home-barista.com for the 3801 photo
            JL

Comment

Someone needs to get on this home roasting marked with a roaster wired for usb etc!

Luckily the photo hasnt gone too far!

Comment

I am also interested in the price

Comment

All will no doubt be revealed when the unit is either in production or available. However while Im heartened by the news its closer than its ever bee, Ive known its been coming for a long time now so I wouldnt be putting life on hold waiting for this one.

Comment

Thanks Greg

Seeing as I have only just started looking into home roasting, and not wanting to wait years, I might talk to you about one of your current models... as you did a great job with my tampers!

Comment

Working...
                    X