Twin heat source KKTO roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin heat source KKTO roaster

Well today I roasted 1kg green in my KKTO roaster which I have added a deep fryer element and base to. This is to supplement the heat provided by the TO. I have roasted smaller batches previous with it but todays was the first of 1kg size. Went ok, very even but stretched out more than I would have liked. I didnt have the lower element up full untill late in the roast and this pot doesnt have a false floor. Changes that will be made in due course. I have attached the roast profile and will add images of the roaster tomorrow for those interested.

Steve

Re: Twin heat source KKTO roaster

Excellent
    I cant wait for the photos

KK

Comment

Ok images as promised. Bottom element is from a disused deep fryer, cut the arse oops, bottom out of it. Screwed into the bottom of the outer pot using the threaded bosses there for the legs. Had to cut a hole in the side to allow connection of the thermostat. Bottom element does cut in and out. As KK suggested a Variac would stop this and I could just set the desired heat level and leave it. @ $200-$250 I thought I would try it this way first. Thats 1KG of greens and the result. next step will be to cut away more of the remains of the DF and lift it closer to the bottom of the inner pot and put a false bottom in. I dont use any silcone tubing [although I have pieces of most of the sizes available in my shed] as the way the TO sits on top there is no where for the heat to escape.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by 7E5C5D5C330 link=1326366460/2#2 date=1326434671
        Ok images as promised. Bottom element is from a disused deep fryer, cut the arse oops, bottom out of it. Screwed into the bottom of the outer pot using the threaded bosses there for the legs. Had to cut a hole in the side to allow connection of the thermostat. Bottom element does cut in and out. As KK suggested a Variac would stop this and I could just set the desired heat level and leave it. @ $200-$250 I thought I would try it this way first. Thats 1KG of greens and the result. next step will be to cut away more of the remains of the DF and lift it closer to the bottom of the inner pot and put a false bottom in. I dont use any silcone tubing [although I have pieces of most of the sizes available in my shed] as the way the TO sits on top there is no where for the heat to escape.

Steve.

Steve
        Thats a great looking 1 kg roast

We will have to wait and see any fine tuning tweaks

KK

Comment

What a great idea Steve.

How did your current result compare to the previous batches roasted before the mods?

Still, a 18 minute roast is great for a KKTO.

Chaff, how do you handle that with the probe and element there?

Gary at G

Comment

Originally posted by 69737E7F6D7B6369691A0 link=1326366460/4#4 date=1326599850
            What a great idea Steve.  Smiley
            Thanks Gary
            How did your current result compare to the previous batches roasted before the mods?
            Aroma seems stronger[read better ] Visually, no difference, taste.....havent gotten thus far,still resting.

Still, a 18 minute roast is great for a KKTO.
            My times for 500/600g roasts are generally around 15 minutes and that is with the other set up using only the halogen TO.
            Chaff, how do you handle that with the probe and element there?
            The other perforated pot that I use still has the original single sided agitator blade but with a bearing race mounted below the floor of the PP.[runs smooth as silk] I have the probe coming in either from the bottom or the side. I also have a series of slits cut and bent in/out to catch the chaff. This system removes about 98% :-/ of the chaff . With the 1kg roast the PP I used had no chaff slits or anything and to my suprise very little chaff left behind. I will cut slits similar to the other PP but may use longer cuts and less of, will report back about that. I have a shop vac in my "man cave " and after a few minutes cooling I just vacumm the chaff up. The bottom element does make it a little difficult but once the changes are made to the lower element it shouldnt be any more difficult than the other set up.

Steve.

Comment

Nice mod.
              Thats what I did for my roaster.

I generally run it just to balance out the heat. Can kick it up if I want to push a larger batch.

I run it at about the same temp. as my drying ET until end of drying, for larger batches its from end of drying to 1st crack where the extra energy really helps keep a good progression. Then cut back or off to slow through the finish.

Comment

Thanks FR, im still learning the rope with this. It looks like your bottom element has replaced the bottom of the pot, is that the case? I didnt consider going that route due to the closeness of the agitator motor, not sure it would benefit from a regular dose of intense heat  :-?

Steve

Comment

Well I added my false floor & insulated below it with the ceramic insulation supplied with the kit. I inverted the lid of the sacrificed deep fryer as it was a neat fit and riveted it in place. I cut the bottom/element section of the DF down to allow better access to suck up the chaff. The floor reduced the volume to just over 9 litres including the TO. I also neatened up the outside insulation & where the temp probe & element control enter. Roast time was much the same at about 19 minutes for a kilo of green but first crack was reached about a minute sooner. Unfortunately the bottom element seemed to spend more time off than on. As KK suggested using a variac in place of the elements themostat so that I can control when its on and to what extent. That should give more control and shorter roast times [if desired].

Comment

Originally posted by 624041402F0 link=1326366460/7#7 date=1326835074
                    Thanks FR, im still learning the rope with this. It looks like your bottom element has replaced the bottom of the pot, is that the case? I didnt consider going that route due to the closeness of the agitator motor, not sure it would benefit from a regular dose of intense heat  :-?

Steve
                    My solid pot sits on top of the plate. I dont use the double pot system.

Comment

For the sake of a comparison earlier today I did a 600g [green] roast and used a earlier template as a point of reference of when I only had the TO as a heat source. Today the routine I  followed [as per usual] was preheat to 100c for 5 minutes, add beans & full power on the TO until the start of 1c, back the TO off to appr. 200c and burp to maintain a ramp of 4~5c and dump to cooler @ the start of 2c. The bottom element was on full for the preheat period and until 1c was reached and then it was shut off. Roast time was reduced by appr. 2 minutes with 2c starting at just under 15 minutes [plus the preheat period of course] Bottom element cycled on & off but was on very little. I am quite pleased with the result as now I have enough heat power to experiment. Currently trying to source a Variac as suggested by KK to let me control the heat from the bottom element. My idea is to leave it on @ maybe around 30-50% until 1c & then it is not needed. I will update when I have something further to add.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 183A3B3A550 link=1326366460/8#8 date=1327201469
                        a variac in place of the elements themostat so that I can control when its on and to what extent.
                        Hi Mono,
                        I like your approach with the TurboRoaster but suggest you consider a Simmerstat rather than a Variac to regulate your elements energy output.
                        Simmerstats are cheap new or may be salvaged from a disgarded electric stove or whatever, even a $30 hotplate would provide a new Simmerstat at a fraction of the price of a Variac.
                        Check out Wikipedia: "Energy Regulator (stove)".
                        Good luck Mate
                        Lindsay

Comment

Thanks Lindsay. I will check that out. I was actually looking this morning at our electric wall oven whilst eating breakfast and was wondering about the griller, if it was a thermostat or what I guess you call a simmerstat.

I will report back when I have something new to show.

Comment

Originally posted by 6E6B6C6671637B7063020 link=1326366460/11#11 date=1328534111
                            a Simmerstat rather than a Variac
                            Hi Lindsay, my research is a bit confusing. The information seems to suggest that the original control for the element [Kambrook] is a simmerstat. If this is so I wouldnt expect too much if any benefit by changing it to an external simmerstat. I am hoping some one here with more electrical experience than I can confirm if it is a simmerstat or thermostat control :-/

Steve

Comment

Well I found a controller on the "bay of plenty" for $15.00 AUD delivered from China. Bypassed the thermostat in the bottom elements controller and wired the "what ever you call it" in parallel & enclosed it in a non-conductive box as per a sparky friend of mine. Roasted 1kg of green Gambella Sundried. Bottom element @ about 1/3 heat until 1C then backed it off further, pulled at the start of 2C ~16 minutes roast time [plus 5 minutes preheat @ 100C] very happy with more than enough heat power and very controllable. Just need to learn to drive it now. A very happy camper indeed

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X