Little issue with my Gene Cafe: need advice how to fix it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little issue with my Gene Cafe: need advice how to fix it

The little problem is - in the glass drum, on the opening door, the grid which is separating beans from chaff collector has come off (see picture).
    Anyone had this problem with their Gene Cafe? I suspect soldering iron is of no use, because I think tin will not hold at the roasting temperatures... Drill little holes and put screws? I am not sure... what else?
    Id hate to replace the entire glass drum because of this pissy little grid, but I cant roast without it...

Re: Little issue with my Gene Cafe: need advice how to fix it

Hi chartres,
    I cant help with a gene-specific answer because I dont own one. But solders are available for higher temps than your gene can produce. Look for hard solder or silver solder (it has other names too but I cant recall right now). Im sure google will clarify.

The bigger issue might be owning an iron that reach the temp necessary for brazing/soldering metal to metal.

I dont think the fluxes and metals or alloys used in solders would be an issue once cleaned but you might need to check that too.

d.

Comment

I used a high temperature silicon sealant for a ptu ignition module to seal up a plastic join on it- this was mounted to the front of the engine - is called Silastic. Dont know if this would be effective for the roaster.

Comment

Why dont you send an email to Avacuppa (click sponsor link <--------). He may be able to offer a simple solution as he sells the Gene.

Comment

Maybe you can use a paperclip, bend it into a bracket to hold the grille in place?

Comment

ok, I have drilled a couple of 2mm holes and put a couple of self tapping screws for sheet metal
            it fixed the issue for the moment...
            thanks for replies

Comment

Originally posted by 383338202B366C6E590 link=1328435897/3#3 date=1328448331
              Why dont you send an email to Avacuppa (click sponsor link <--------). He may be able to offer a simple solution as he sells the Gene.
              Agreed, certainly would have done this prior to drilling any holes

Comment

Originally posted by 2B223C7978480 link=1328435897/6#6 date=1328862311
                Agreed, certainly would have done this prior to drilling any holes
                well, naturally I did send email prior...
                basically its replaceable for 40$ plus postage..
                or its fixable by selftapping screws for under 1$...
                for the moment its fine and roasting well ;-)

Comment

My Gene Cafe has done the same. It's 6 years old and has probably roasted about 50kg of coffee in that time. (I go through phases depending on employment and living arrangement).

I think Ill do the screw trick too.

Comment

Working...
                  X