New drum roaster Rotate Fun 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New drum roaster Rotate Fun 300

I got a friend come from Taiwan to visti me.
    She asked me if she can brought anything to me, then I found this drum roaster

They have two version, with heating element and without heating element.
    I pick the basic/cheaper one which I feel it will be more fun by using fire to heat the drum (Seller suggest me the same)

Although end up I ask friend to ship it (too heavy to carry), it just arrived few days ago.
    I use the portable stove to heat the drum, but feel its difficult to tone the heat.
    I may need to find something better.

Try three different bean for first time, its much easier to tell the first crack compared to the heat gun/breadmaker.

I have not taste the bean yet, I will update the result in the next couple days.

Colin

Re: New drum roaster Rotate Fun 300

Hi colin, great little roaster.The roast looks quite good also, maybe the heat source your using is ok,Can you tell me what happens to the chaffe. X Man..

Comment

The portable stove is difficult to adjust the heat.
      I have not found any better heat source yet.
      I have been google other possible info around the website, I saw some people add the heat gun to this kind of drum roaster.
      I will see if I can fit mine either.

The most of chaff down from the bottom, half of them falling on top of fire and get burn.
      Some of the burning chaff fly around and it scared me a bit about firing issue.
      So I choose to roast inside a hood and outdoor.

Some other chaff come with the roasted bean.
      So when I cool them down with my DIY fan box, the chaff blow out from them too.
      Not a big issue but I feel its not suitable for indoor use (although the reason I bought it is for using in the kitchen).
      Now I feel its not possible.

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by 68646762657C6E650B0 link=1329608210/2#2 date=1330220742
        The portable stove is difficult to adjust the heat.
        I have not found any better heat source yet.
        How about a variable temperature heat gun with the flared attachment to disperse the heat across the base of the roaster??

Comment

@greenman
          That is a great idea.
          I have my heat gun for previous "corretto" already.
          Now I just need to make a frame to let this drum sit on the top and attach the heat gun in the bottom.
          I roast another two batch in this drum roaster yesterday.
          The roasting is even worst than my first one.
          I bring it to outdoor and the temp is more difficult to adjust the proper one.
          Temping increase so quick and the nob from the portable stove is useless.

I need to spend some time to hunt some alternative heat source at the same time.

Comment

If thats your 4wd in your profile pic then you should have an LPG camping stove, that would be worth a try.

They are usually a bit easier to fine tune than the butane ones.

something like

Comment

Hi Colin,

This is an interesting looking roaster.
              Looking at your third photo, makes me suspect you are not delivering the full heat produced by your stove.
              I wonder whether you could construct a shroud to funnel the stoves heat into the opening on the underside of the roaster.
              The heat gun idea also sounds good.
              Looks like you have many options to play with.
              Also wondering what mass of greens you have roasted in this device and what are its length and diameter and weight?

Lindsay

Comment

Colin this looks sweet. Where do i get one and how much?

Comment

Thanks all,
                  I was busy on my thesis writing, I have not really got the time to photo the roaster.

Now I came with three different setup.
                  One is I using brick to lift the roaster to get less het.
                  Then I used trentskis idea about better camping stove. But its two stove set, a bit diffcult to find the best direction to setup.
                  Then I put the roaster on top of brick and use heat gun to roaster.
                  This one is easier to adjust the heat but long time roasting seems to melt the heat gun a bit.

I also roast a PNG one with stove and heat gun in similar level to try the different flavor between them.

I did not have any business with the seller of this roaster.
                  But if people want to contact with the sller and some detail of the price.
                  I can either help to translate or comunicate.

Colin

Comment

Did a bit of research and it seems like these come in two styles - the one pictured above for about $500 large, or one that has electric elements for about $600 large.

I really dont think its worth that much money!

http://ravecoffee.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=roast&action=display&thread=33

Comment

I agree.
                      I wont spend 500 for that either.
                      So thats why I did not spend 500 for that.

Comment

I just found this roaster for around 300$ , that seems to be a good price for a 300g roaster.

Colin, are you satisfied with the roaster ?

Comment

Originally posted by 0807090D0404620 link=1329608210/11#11 date=1335546509
                          I just found this roaster on alibaba.com for around 270$ , that seems to be a good price for a 300g roaster.

Colin, are you satisfied with the roaster ?

here is the link
                          The question is what would you do with 60 of them? the price is for a minimum order of 60

Comment

Found them for 300 a piece

Comment

Originally posted by 2827292D2424420 link=1329608210/13#13 date=1335547497
                              Yes i just noticed that, but if you check this link
                              That reads like two cracks at a spam post to me. At the very least is is in breach of site sales and posting policy which you might read: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?virboard=roasters;num=1115338530

Links to ebay ads or other similar off-site promotion to any sales related material are not welcome on CoffeeSnobs.
                              $18k + freight + duty + freight forwarders fees + airport/dock fees is a pretty hefty slug.

You can only hope that theres a transformer on the end of that power cord. 240V and open flame....

Id reckon youd find a behmor a whole heap more useful and ultimately about $25k less expensive.  :-? :

Comment

Working...
                              X