Behmor or I-Coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behmor or I-Coffee?

Having used a popper for a year now Im ready to move on. I have narrowed my choices to either the Behmor or the I-Coffee. Ive read every thread about the two but am still undecided.

One of the main reasons I want to move away from the popper is that I can only use it outside. With the weather lately this has meant no coffee roasting for weeks on end. Therefore, apart from general comments about the relative merits of either roaster Im mostly interested in feedback as to their suitability for use in the kitchen.

From what Ive read both roasters will catch chaff, so they wont be making the same mess as a popper. What about the smoke, though? Will they set off smoke alarms? Do they need to be operated under the range hood? That would be a bit of a concern to me because my range hood is quite noisy and I guess it would interfere with my ability to hear 2nd crack.

Id be grateful for any insight as Im ready to buy either of them.

Cheers
    Steffen.

Re: Behmor or I-Coffee?

Ive used my Behmor in the kitchen, in the garage (enclosed) and on the back deck.

I normally roast on my back deck. The main reason is that I can spread out a bit more easily. Things like pedestal fan, scales, sieve, colander and foil pans. I cool with door ajar and blow past the behmor with the fan. After a few mins I dump to colander then shuffle and split the cooling beans between  colander and pans in front of the fan. In the wind and rain today it was hard to initially hear 1st crack but once rolling all okay. I mention my technique because if you open the behmor during cooling cycle, chaff will blow everywhere. Ambient temp can be an issue outdoors.

Ive also done it under a range hood indoors. My rangehood is loud on high speed but could still hear more easily than todays effort outside. HOWEVER opening the door will result in smoke (and maybe) chaff. And it does set off my smoke alarm (one anyway). I disconnect it temporarily and reconnect when done. But this particlar detector is easily removed so I just place it near everything so its obvious when packing up.

Dont use the garage much cos I dont want beans to absorb the smells from wood oils and stains used in my restores and builds.

If you operate the Behmor without opening the door and hit cool at the right time, smoke is negible. If you stop cool before opening, chaff is no issue either. Just remember to hit cool button again to let the behmor do its thing.

Im very happy with my Behmor. I think the technique and habits you develop are part of the past time itself.
    Im also sure youll be happy whatever you decide.

Comment

I use my i-coffee indoors all the time. Chaff i wrap in newspaper after the Roast so no mess. I use the i coffee cooler fan for cooling of the roast. I then bag straight from the Roasting pan using the funnel that came with my Aeropress. Only get smoke if i roast well into second crack which i try to avoid now. If you want simple roasting i can only recommend it.

Comment

Same here. I do all my roasts indoors, about 2m from our smoke detector. Has not gone off yet and Ive done over 2 or 3 dozen roasts. I cool my roasts off with a home made cooler, i.e., a cheap vacuum and 20 litre bucket with a s/s bowl mounted on top. Cools the roast off in under a minute.
        Cheers.

Comment

Another recommendation for the i-Coffee, I roast indoors all the time. Started off under the rangehood but no longer bother as there is no smoke at all.

Comment

i-cofee recommendation form me too. I cool on a metal tray so I have it under the range hood and when I hear second crack, I turn on fan, pour the beans onto the tray, then turn off the fan after around 30 seconds.

You dont need the range hood on while roasting.

Chaff goes down the sink.

Comment

Perfect profiles out of the box - iCoffee

Comment

I roasted some Tanzania Uru last night and it is chaff monster The iCoffee contained all of the chaff no problems

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments. It seems the scale is tipping in favour of the I-Coffee.

One follow-up question, if I may. So far (with the popper) Ive been cooling beans by tossing them back and forth between two colanders for about 2 minutes. How helpful is the I-Coffee cooler accessory in this regard? Is it worth getting?

Cheers
                  Steffen.

Comment

Save the extra money and build yourself a turbo cooler, the fan in the pan cooler is pretty small.

I would say the I-Coffee if you want to roast 250g of raw and under and you want something no fuss.

The Behmor would have a little more of learning curve but you can easily add a temp probe and muck with the profiles and it will do more than 250g

Comment

Originally posted by 14332221212229470 link=1332140736/8#8 date=1332416347
                      Thanks everyone for your comments. It seems the scale is tipping in favour of the I-Coffee.

One follow-up question, if I may. So far (with the popper) Ive been cooling beans by tossing them back and forth between two colanders for about 2 minutes. How helpful is the I-Coffee cooler accessory in this regard? Is it worth getting?

Cheers
                      Steffen.
                      Hi Steffen,
                      I am new to the iCoffee (only had it just over a month or so) but can whole heartedly agree with the above statements. Very little smoke, all the chaff caught in the catcher. The one thing that I will say about the cooling fan is that it doesnt cool very quickly when the roasting dish is first pulled as it takes too long to draw the heat out. I use 2 collanders under the range hood for initial cooling. However, if airflow is modified to fit a collander or dish of adequate shape it [the cooling fan] would be quite capable of cooling very well......I am working on a plan at the moment......I will post some pics when I do have it done. Sorrentina Coffee on the other thread has devised a plan for cooling that seems quite good too.

Do I think it is good to have? Yes, I am glad I have it. It doesnt draw the heat out of the dish very quickly but it can flow quite adequate amounts of air to cool the beans in a cool dish that has good ventilation.

Regards, frank.

Comment

Originally posted by 193E2F2C2C2F244A0 link=1332140736/0#0 date=1332140736
                        Im mostly interested in feedback as to their suitability for use in the kitchen.
                        I dont think that any roaster is suitable for use in the kitchen.  Carport, verandah, shed, garage... are far more suitable places to roast coffee.  Roasting in any device is a messy business, even though you are catching the chaff it will still escape when you empty it... better off on the garden than finding it inside the house.

If you live in the snow then maybe you will roast under the rangehood in the kitchen but most of Australias climate shouldnt require it.

Originally posted by 193E2F2C2C2F244A0 link=1332140736/0#0 date=1332140736
                        Will they set off smoke alarms?
                        Yeah, maybe.
                        More so if you open the roasters at the end of the roast before the cooling cycle has finished.

The Behmor1600 will leak some smoke around the door seals sometimes, not much but it will.  Both the i-Coffee and the Behmor1600 will burn off "most" of the smoke but not all and it will depend on the sensitivity of your detectors.  Both have certainly less than a popper at the end of the roast.

The volume of beans that you are roasting and the roast depth you want will determine the amount of smoke in any roaster.

The Behmor has a larger capacity so a full sized batch should produce more smoke.  Ive had the two roasters running side by side on a 100g roast and I think the smoke looked the same to the eye, both afterburners do a good job of getting rid of nearly all of it leaving the smell of baked bread not BBQ.

I think an important missing question here is the taste.  Same bean in the two roasters will produce a different profile. In my side by side tests the Behmor1600 gives more body to the roast, the i-Coffee is brighter but not as bright as a popper.

The other thing to note is the physical size.  The i-Coffee has a very small foot print (200mm wide).  The Behmor1600 is twice the width (450mm) making the i-Coffee much easier to store in a cupboard.

Whichever roaster you choose will work well and produce great coffee!

Obviously I sell the Behmor so will have some bias towards it even if I try not to ;-)
                        8-)

Comment

Steffan,
                          Originally posted by 5770616262616A040 link=1332140736/8#8 date=1332416347
                          Thats due to more people with I-Coffee commenting!

Im in the same boat as you, but i think i like the Behmor as it can roast more.

Comment

The Behmor gives you more control.

The iCoffee is put your beans in and take them out when done.

The Behmor is put your beans in, choose your roasting profile, adjust stuff if you want, open the door part way through the roast etc. Its more work but you can vary your results more than you can with the iCoffee. If you want to tinker then get the Behmor.

I wanted easy and the iCoffee does that very well.

Comment

To add to all the comments, my only gripe with the iCoffee is batch size. I often find I am doing 150-200g and would like to do 300-400 batches.

I am now tipping to upgrade to the Gene for the larger capacity and still the simplicity.

Comment

Working...
                              X