My take on a turbo oven roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on a turbo oven roaster

Hi, I have been playing around in the shed for the last few weeks, putting together a coffee roaster based on a Turbo Oven ( not taking any credit for the idea).
    Gave it a test run Sat morning, 18.5 min to hit a medium roast. It certainly is a big improvement on my pop corn popper.
    I still have a few improvements to make regarding chaff collection and cooling, a few pics of my build so far attached below. - Cheers
    Attached Files

Brilliant. Very stylish. The roast looks even better. Such techno breakthroughs could topple Breville and sunbeam combined. Keep a watch for black helicopters, not that I'm paranoid, but you can't be too careful.

Comment

That's a really nice looking work ! Congrat

Comment

Looks great Notaclue, what weight in green beans did you roast in a go?

Comment

The weight of green beans was 300grams, finished weight was 254grams, which is the right amount for me for two weeks of coffee.
          Once I have made a few changes to improve chaff collection and cooling, I will see how far I can push the weight.
          I will post pics of my mods in the near future, I will be working regionally for the next two weeks so it will be quiet on the shed front - Cheers

Comment

Nice looking setup, one of benefits is that there is an infinite # of variations possible...........have fun experimenting.

Steve.

Comment

Having used turbo roasters for some years now and witnessed as well as assisting DIYers in countless variations
              I have to say that the design will roast consistantly for years just as others have found out just by taking the plunge and build one

Many great roasts ahead of you - Good Luck

KK

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee_Kosmo View Post
                I have to say that the design will roast consistantly for years just as others have found out ...
                I have one of the original beta tester models that KK put out in December 2009. It is still going strong more 32 months on with the only change a new agitator and mod to the main drive cog in the gear box.

Comment

I had mine since early this year and it is currently going very well.

This is one of the roasters to have when the top of the upgrade tree has been reached without having ( due to financial constraints) or wishing to go into serious commercial roasters like the Has Garanti, Probat, Diedritch etc.

Only item that needs replacing so far is the heat proof silicon tubing of which is easy to fix.

On mine, most of the chaff is blown into the outer chamber and is removed simply with a vacuum hose.

The same vacuum hose is also used to extract the beans from the roaster into the bean cooler, thus keeping the roasting station and floor almost chaff free. A little chaff do escape when lifting the lid to burp the oven during the roasting process.

Been regularly roasting 3 kilograms per week since using the KKTO and i feel it will keep on roasting for at least a number of years before like Flynn said about the windscreen motor or the agitator needs attention.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Folks, Just roasted a KJM blend in my roaster and planned to take some pics of my mods to improve chaff collection an cooling which worked better than expected, unfortunately the the batteries where flat, to many work pics last week. Very very happy with the results and even SWSBO, raised an eyebrow in approval.
                    If there is anybody in Adelaide who might have a couple hundred grams of India Monsoon Malabar Gold that they can part with, happy to pay, I would like to try some in a blend before I commit to buying a couple of kilos - Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by sidewayss View Post
                      I had mine since early this year and it is currently going very well.

This is one of the roasters to have when the top of the upgrade tree has been reached without having ( due to financial constraints) or wishing to go into serious commercial roasters like the Has Garanti, Probat, Diedritch etc.

Been regularly roasting 3 kilograms per week since using the KKTO and i feel it will keep on roasting for at least a number of years before like Flynn said about the windscreen motor or the agitator needs attention.
                      A very inexpensive roaster for the weight one can roast at home
                      Three kilos per week Mr Sideways - Hmmm, You roast more than me per week

Just a quick note about the main drive gear on the KKTO
                      The motor is rated to push up to 1.5 kg but the speed reduces with extra weight
                      All motors including Sideways has been has been modified for a permanent fix
                      Flynnaus sent his main drive gear up to me by mail and even after 2 years of use I completed the upgrade modification
                      The modification is a permanent fix and will last the life of the motor

Now back on topic
                      Notacleu
                      Experiment a little here and there until you are satisfied with your build once it's set up as you want it you can roast with confidence to your hearts consent

KK

Comment

Hi Folks, I have made a few changes to my Turbo roaster. I have fitted a chute on the inside of my roasting pan, to catch any chaff that that is spinning due to the action of the oven fan.
                        I have fitted my cooling fan to a piece of 6mm acrylic that is the same size as the top collar. I have also fitted a small vent in the side to allow the warm air to escape while cooling.
                        I used the roaster tonight to roast a 50/50 blend of PNG and Columbian beans, all went well, proof will be in the cup later this week.
                        Pics of my mods attached, disregard the date stamp, just changed the battery and forgot to reset the date - Cheers
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi, A few extra pics of mods - Cheers
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice work, keep the updates coming...........

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X