Vital Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vital Grill

Hi All, this is my first thread about roastering. Two years ago I came across this grill by some flea market and since then I use it weekly to roaster Costa Rica Tarrazu.
    It roasters perfectly 500 gr. green beans in 50 minutes. I make much better shots (Cimbali) then with any other pre-roasterd coffee I can buy in Portugal.
    I wonder if any of you ever used this grill for roastering. If so please share your experiences. See picture.
    Attached Files

Hi Valimar, great to see you are enjoying your coffee roasting! 50 minutes is a very long roast time, are you able to apply more heat to the beans and shorten the roast time to around the 15-18 minute mark, you would get a lot better result, the longer roast tends to bake instead of roast the beans.
    happy roasting
    cheers gman

Comment

Maybe he does his chips at the same time (sorry couldn't resist).

FYI I find it incredible how many different devices people use to roast beans with. What's next? someone should try putting some on top of the engine manifold with the engine running @ 2k rpm (for agitation)... - Joking again btw.

Comment

Hi Valimar,
        it would be interesting to see how it would go with 100g of coffee instead of 500g.
        I expect you will get a far more even roast and the flavour should be better too.

I would suggest lowering the weight until you can get a roast finished in 20 minutes odd and see how that compares to what you are doing now.

Comment

Yes, I agree 50 minutes is long but it comes because I like dark roast and it's not possible to change the temperature. I'm going to try Andy's sugestion and roast less amount of coffee! I think is a good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by valimar View Post
            I'm going to try Andy's sugestion and roast less amount of coffee! I think is a good idea!
            Yep, He's very useful like that. Please let us know how you go.

Comment

Andy and greenman, thanks for your advise! You were right! I roast 100 gr of my Costa Rica and in about 10 minutes I had the first crack!
              Next time I will increase the weight till I reach the 15/18 minutes mark. 100gr is just enough for a couple of days!!!
              Now I am curious if I will find any difference in tast...
              Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X