hottop B roast profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hottop B roast profiles

So my shiny new hottop arrived today. Just the 2 roasts so far but pretty happy with the results straight up.
    I was thinking about the saved profiles and wondering how the hottop stores them. Does each adjustment get noted according to time or temperature. I know the P does all the adjustment in time sectors.

Regards
    Gavin

Pretty sure it's time based, is this your first attempt at roasting? What beans have you done so far? Show us a profile

Comment

Not my first time. I have been been roasting since 2007: Gene cafe -> Corretto -> FZ-RR 700 ->Hottop
      It makes sense that it is time based. It would be nice if it was temp based but the stock sensor on the hottop is not measuring bean temp so wouldn't work too well.
      As soon as I get my multimeter talking to my laptop I will put up the profile. It sends info through but its all gibberish.
      Basically I dropped in at 75C then full power until 145C where I do a 50% power for a minute then back to full power until 170c where I start added some fan. From 185C gradually reduced power and increased fan and ejected at 212c (bean temp) with 2nd crack getting started. Roasts finished around 17min.
      I am really impressed with the evenness of the roast and lack of any noticable defects.
      I tasted the two roasts in the syphon this morning. 2nd crack roasts are not ideal for the syphon but I am really happy with the results. I will give them a run in the minore one they have rested a little.

Comment

If you have a newer -B it should have a better probe, do you have an actual probe or is it more like a flat sensor?

From the sounds of your profile notes I could say I do something quite similar. I usually drop higher than 75 by a few minutes to try and make the drying/turnaround faster.. It is a great little roster, my only gripe is that I wish I could obtain greater heat input for fast 200g+ roasts.

To be honest in 100+ roasts I barely use the saved profiles, I've got too much experimenting to do for that!!

Anyway will be good when you get the logger working, you didn't mention the bean?

Comment

Hi Gavin,

The B's profiles are time-based. I'm much the same as insomnispresso... I rarely use the memory locations. I have one profile saved to one memory location if I ever need it, but 99% of the time I run it as a manual roaster, which is the whole reason I got my Hottop in the first place. Means you can cater for any slight variations in bean volume, ambient temperature, power supply etc.

Yep show us some profiles and roast shots!

Greg

Comment

The first 2 roasts were a Tanzania and the Guatamala. Today I roasted a PNG and a Columbian with the P controller in the roaster. The first was the profile recommended by Greg in his notes he sends out with the roaster. The roast was pulled at 210C on the bean mass probe and looks great. The second was a profile i created from my B roasts. IT was quite aggressive and second crack rushed up on me. The beans still look pretty good and taste will tell in a few days. Even a bad roast looks pretty good.

What I am learning so far is that the saved profiles are a 'shape' that guide your roast and that you still have to watch and pull the roast when you think it is ready.

Gavin

Comment

It can be easy for the roast to run away leading up to 2C, it feels like the thermal mass of the roaster and exothermic reaction in the beans is a lot of heat!

Of course you can, as you mention max out the fan and drop the heat. This will still take a few minutes to slow down, another way is to partially lift the filter, while very effective it does cause some kind of scum to build up on the fan so I'm not sure Greg will approve

Comment

Here is the tanzania roast I did first. I had it in a cappuccino this morning and it was excellent. Tomorrow I will try it as an espresso to get an accurate assessment of the roast.

Gavin
                Attached Files

Comment

Comparing my profile to the one that Greg has in his notes I can see that my temps were too high towards the end. I forgot that the environmental sensor actually falls behind the bean temperature at the end. Once I have tasted them I will see what adjustments I want to make to this profile.

Gavin

Comment

@insomnispresso: I do that too as a last resort if the roast is racing away from me Generally only happens though if I'm distracted or roasting a different batch size to what I'm used to.

@fulcrum: Yep both models' built-in sensor drops behind the bean temperature at the end of the roast. If you have a B-2K model (which I think you do) the difference is greater but the shape is closer to that of what the beans are doing. If you've got the bean mass probe built-in you can largely forget what's showing on the control panel (apart from the safety warnings). Nice roast, can almost taste it from here, be interested to know how it tastes as the days go by!

Greg

Comment

So yesterday I tasted the Tanzania and Guatamala. The tanzania turned out well with a balanced acidity. The guatamala on the other hand was very acidic. I haven't roasted Guat for years so not sure if this is normal. Would a longer gap between 1st and 2nd crack mellow this acidity?
                      Today I tasted the PNG Kone Ka and Columbian Volcan Galeras. The PNG was excellent, well balanced and good flavour. That profile from Greg is definitely a winner. The Columbian was OK but quite acidic towards the end. This was the roast that got away from me.
                      Overall I am amazed that I am getting such good results straight up. I have also noticed that my extractions are better looking which I guess will help the flavour too.

Comment

Hi mate, good to see your really enjoying the hottop as someone with a pretty diverse background already!

I think your assumption for the profile change on the Guat would be correct, I think acidity will burn off most after 1C and especially leading up to 2C where the beans are smoking. I haven't roasted many centrals and I would guess its best pre 2C but since you seem to have already gone to 2C maybe don't go any lighter!

Any idea what the times were in the Guat profile for dry/1C/2C/dump? You mentioned the roast duration of 17 mins which as things go I'd say is already as long as you need to go.. Maybe you were quite late reaching 1C?

I could be wrong and it's just a super high acid bean that you need to stretch out more!

Comment

FC was at 13.5 minutes and 2C was 30secs before the end.
                          What do you mean by dry?

Comment

Dry, when they are yellow.

So your 1C to 2C was only 3mins? You could make 1C earlier or stretch 2C out. Personally I usually aim for 1C earlier, can you hit it easily? If you are already at max power you would need to decrease the bean volume. How much out of interest? Guessing above 200g?

Comment

These are the stats of the last Guatamalan I roasted. - Using a HottopB with 250g & measured with a Bean Probe; As far as I can recall tasted Good.

Bean: Guat Camona Estate (COE) - Origin: S. America - Roaster Prog: AD1 - Weight: 250g
                              Load time = 0.366 min : Load Temp = 125 C
                              First Crack time = 12.386 min : First Crack Temp = 193.6 C
                              Second Crack time = 17.101 min : Second Crack Temp = 214.5 C
                              Unload time = 17.131 min : Unload Temp = 214.6 C
                              Total Roast Time = 16.765 min
                              Time Between Cracks = 4.715 min

I normally find the Bean probe catches up & overtakes the Hottop Built-in sensor coming up to 2C. Not sure if that is of use to you?

GrahamK
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by GrahamK; 30 November 2012, 03:33 PM. Reason: Extra notes

Comment

Working...
                              X