Another Drum Roaster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Drum Roaster.

Hello everyone, I am a thirteen year old boy and I love to roast my own coffee at home. I have been using a popcorn popper for a few months now and I have enjoyed the experience very much. I have been following your adventures for quite some time now on this forum. From your adventures and experience I have gained a huge amount of enthusiasm and inspiration. The problem is I am very low on knowledge, advice and experience but I would like to build a coffee drum roaster. I would like to have my coffee roaster obtaining features such as:
    • 1kg batch.
    • paint tin with perforated end that can handle about 1kg of beans.
    • funnel for dropping the beans.
    • sight glass and trier.
    • dump chute in the front.
    • oven fan to supply airflow through the drum.
    • cooling tray with something to stir the beans.
    • gas burners of some kind.
    • thermocouple with digital display.
    • chaff and smoke removal system.

What I am really looking for though is any knowledge or advice that could be spared. I just thought that someone could put me on the right track. This project might be a lot more than I can handle with the tools I have but I would like to give it a go anyway. Besides if anyone is going help me through this project it would be you guys because I know you have a lot more experience in this area than I do. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Hi stickybeak101,

And you're how old?!!!! 8-D
    There are plenty of people who would love to be able to home build a drum roaster with all those features.
    In fact, all the features of a fully fledged commercially built unit, well, maybe with the exception of the paint tin ;-)
    There is a lot of machining and fabrication involved in a home project such as this, not to mention sourcing components.
    To get an idea of what's involved it would be handy to talk to a fabricating engineer, they will be able to explain the processes involved.
    The Snobbery is the home of the only 'built from scratch' roaster that I know, of the type you want to build and tho' it's a 10kg, the principles of the construction are the same.
    No paint tin tho'.

In the meantime, check out some of the home made drum roasters on this site and have a yarn with some of these innovative and clever types
    about the challenges they have come up against.

It might be an idea to start off with something a bit more simple but along the lines of a revolving drum, this way you might get
    a more complete understanding of what's involved and be able to think problems through and overcome them with the determination you have.
    You will also build up a skill base that will help you in everything that you do. Who knows, maybe in a few years time you will be
    the manufacturer of the best 1kg home drum roaster on the Aus market.

Follow your dreams!!

p.s. And don't forget Google!
    Last edited by chokkidog; 19 December 2012, 01:37 PM. Reason: add p.s. & fixing punctuation!!!

Comment

You have some of the best grammar and punctuation that I've ever seen on a forum. Also, your post is really well formatted. Your parents and school are doing a good job

The roaster, quite a bit of info around... sadly, after all the research, design, prototyping, it's cheaper to just buy a roaster.

Mind you, where's the fun in that!? Have fun and be sure to keep us updated with your project!

Comment

Hello and welcome Stickybeak101,

I am impressed!

I built a BBQ roaster about 6 months ago and are very happy with the results, but i am 38 not 13,
        a bit of advice might be to get the basics going then start looking at extras like a sight glass, cooling tray with a stirrer, etc.

I started with a perforated drum on a rotisserie and a cooling bucket setup, Once i started to understand what i needed, i started to improve on my current setup.
        I can do 1 kg in my roaster without much problems but choose to roast 500g, mainly because i like to keep my beans fresh.

I have now made a cooling tray instead of a bucket which cools the beans a lot quicker than the bucket when doing +500g. (See Photos)
        and i have also done modifications to my roasting drum for extracting the beans quicker.

I am still improving my setup and enjoying every minute of it!

For ideas take a look at some of the following posts;
        "Upgraded BBQ Roaster."
        "A few questions for building a new roasting machine" (There are designs/Ideas here which might be what you are looking for.)
        "DIY Bean Cooler - Step By Step" (this has a lot of cooling bucket designs).

there is nothing more satisfying than building something yourself on the cheap and then having the contraption Work.
        I wish you all the best and good luck!

Themurphs.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you everyone for the extra encouragement and thank you again for not telling me that this project is impossible because I have heard it a thousand times. I now realise that there is a lot of thought that will be needed to complete this project, however I will keep thinking and designing my dream roaster while following your fabulous projects.

Comment

Have a look at this design. Haven't tried it but it looks good.
            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/2...+built+roaster

Comment

Hey sticky brake
              well I have to admire your enthusiasm and what u are trying to achieve. Having just finished building a drum roaster from scratch I know how much is involved (lots) and I have my own machine shop! But keep working on it bro it's that sort of creative energy that will get u there in the end .
              I'm having problems uploading photos but when I sort it out there will be a good bunch of shots of the build process and how I went about it,thay may give u some inspiration

Comment

Yes please post some photos, I always love to see someone else's creative inventions.

Comment

Thank you for the encouragement I am waiting eagerly for your photos.

Comment

Originally posted by stickybeak101 View Post
                    Thank you for the encouragement I am waiting eagerly for your photos.
                    His photo's can be found in this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/3...ts-photos.html

Java "Hmmmm....pictures!" phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X