Shop coffee roaster advice needed 1-2kg LPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop coffee roaster advice needed 1-2kg LPG

Hi all! I'm looking into buying a small shop roaster to use at home to roast coffee for my wifes small cafe (but also to feed my obsesion with coffee but she dosn't need to know that!) I've been looking at the Akaneks 1kg LPG bench top roaster and have gone as far as getting a price to import one directly. Has anyone used or can recomend if this roater is any good I'm on a limited budget and don't want to make a mistake. I've also priced a Yang Chia 801n roaster which is a little bit dearer but has a cast iron drum and also has a lot of good reviews on verious wedsites. I'm open to suggestions and recomendations but my budget is tight I've been trawling the usual sites for a used roaster but they don't seem to come up very often if anyone knows of a second hand small roaster I'd be greatfull for the information.
    Thanks for looking

Hello Dylano,

Keep in mind that these two will very likely not comply with your local gas regulations and may well not be electrically appropriate either . You can easily spend some thousands of dollars having this work done.

You will also need a type B gas technician to submit your installation to the local authorities (Energysafe if Vic for example) once the installation is done.

Installation and the type B work will most likely gobble up well more than you spend on your roaster.

Comment

Sorry Chris but I have to disagree - not to suggest what you're saying is incorrect, but that its probably not a reality. For example, I'm sure there are a number of torrefattore 2 kg roasters without compliance certificates attached.

Comment

Hi there, I was roasting away on my Akankeks roaster when I read your post yesterday and now finally have some time to get back to you. My Akaneks 1kg roaster was the first one in Australia and if you asked me if I would do it all over again, the answer would have to be both yes and no. First of all, don't get the gas version of this machine. As Chris pointed out, it will cost you a small fortune, and possibly a great deal of time, to get it complianced. Mine is the electric version and compliancing and installation were both affordable and easy. For a 1kg machine, electric is all you will need.

The roaster itself presented its own problems. The Turkish motors it came with were absolute garbage and had to be replaced... multiple times. I should point out that the replacement motors were sent to me free of charge, and by express courier, by the manufacturer but replacing old garbage with new garbage just didn't solve the problem. I ended up installing far better, yet still very affordable, locally sourced motors and they are still working just fine 2 1/2 years since installation. The better motors and increased airflow (and new heating elements) have allowed me to upgrade the roaster to a 2kg capacity as the drum is rather generous in size. Having said that, I believe that Akaneks is now installing quality Italian motors on this roaster so perhaps this whole point is moot by now.

The only other issue I have had are the thermocouples. Not sure why but they just don't read anywhere near the correct temp. When the roaster is at 2nd crack and 224 degrees the drum thermocouple reads 160. I know of two other Akaneks roasters in AU and they both report the same problem. Easy enough fix as thermocouples are cheap but this should have been addressed at the factory in the first place.

Other than that I have no complaints of any kind. My roaster has gone through a few thousand batches and I am certain it will give me many thousands more. The cost was right, the fixes were relatively easy and didn't cost all that much to upgrade.

Bottom line... good roaster, great price but with a few headaches... all of which can be rectified if you are good with a shifter. Go electric and keep it simple. Simpler still... pay more, avoid the headaches and buy from a local supplier. Talk to Mark at Coffee Roasters Australia... he knows his stuff and has a good range to work with.

Comment

Great post Bruce- there is nothing like hands on experience to point out any possible pitfalls.

Agreed 100%. Electricity- should be fine....I would not however risk gas.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post
            Sorry Chris but I have to disagree - not to suggest what you're saying is incorrect, but that its probably not a reality. For example, I'm sure there are a number of torrefattore 2 kg roasters without compliance certificates attached.
            No doubt about it Den....

The risk (as you well know from your personal experience) is what an insurance company may have to say if there is a fire. I guess it is the decision of the individual as to how many letters should be dotted and crossed

Chris

Comment

Vinitatasse, thanks for the info, just what I needed to hear about the Akaneks. Did you import the roaster yourself or buy from coffee roasters australia?

Comment

As to the electric vs gas I'll have to say gas, I'm a chef and the thought of roasting anything with electricity send a cold shiver up my back. I should also add my father was a safety engineer for the Gas and Fuel corp in Victoria and was responsible for a lot of the safety standards back then before it all got sold off. I remember when I was 13 he certified the first commercial gas and wood fired pizza oven in Australia at the Stokehouse in saintkilder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylano View Post
                  Vinitatasse, thanks for the info, just what I needed to hear about the Akaneks. Did you import the roaster yourself or buy from coffee roasters australia?
                  It was a direct import.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylano View Post
                    As to the electric vs gas I'll have to say gas, I'm a chef and the thought of roasting anything with electricity send a cold shiver up my back. I should also add my father was a safety engineer for the Gas and Fuel corp in Victoria and was responsible for a lot of the safety standards back then before it all got sold off. I remember when I was 13 he certified the first commercial gas and wood fired pizza oven in Australia at the Stokehouse in saintkilder.
                    Good thing you're a chef then and not a roaster of coffee. As a heat source for batches 2kg and under electricity is far more cost effective, cleaner and reacts quickly enough (at that size anyway) for proper profile roasting. Don't forget, we're talking about roasting something less than a gram in weight per unit, and with a properly timed revolving drum and good airflow control there is more than enough convective and conductive heat to crank out a superlative roast.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                      Good thing you're a chef then and not a roaster of coffee. As a heat source for batches 2kg and under electricity is far more cost effective, cleaner and reacts quickly enough (at that size anyway) for proper profile roasting. Don't forget, we're talking about roasting something less than a gram in weight per unit, and with a properly timed revolving drum and good airflow control there is more than enough convective and conductive heat to crank out a superlative roast.
                      Hahahaha, good point! I'm sure I'll be fine if I can cook a pice of fish crispy skin and perfectly medium in a cast iron pan I'm sure I'll be able to tame a coffee roaster. Can I ask how you went about the importing? Did you use an agent? I'm a little worried about transfering money over seas to a foreign country with no type of insurance

Comment

I did all the legwork myself and then used a broker to handle the customs clearance, import duties, GST and other landed costs as well as for freight forwarding within AU. Being the first one in AU to directly import from this Turkish supplier was a bit of a risk but it all worked out in the end. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Comment

Thank you again for the info I think I'll go ahead with the purchase.

Comment

Best of luck

Comment

Good luck Dylano- you will need it.

I get calls each week or two from roasters seeking help. Most recent was a call from a bloke who trained with me some years ago and then disappeared. I had forgotten about him.

His self-import of a less common brand of roaster bypassed the Australian importer and he saved some cash. All went belly up when he found his roaster would need a completely new gas train to meet Australian regulations for gas compliance. He called me hoping that I could supply him all the technical information on my roaster in the hope he could use it. Sadly the line was really crackly and I couldn't hear him properly! The importer quite rightly told him to purchase a foreign language phrase book.

Buying a roaster which looks good is the easy part. Getting one which roasts well is a whole lot harder. Sadly almost all noobs to commercial roasting have little understanding of the dynamics.

I agree with Vinitasse. Whilst a small electric roaster might be possible, gas will be a whole heap harder and to assume that you can put a gas roaster on a boat from somewhere on the other site of the earth, hook it up, use it and get satisfactory results is one massive call.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X