Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Roasting - Should I Or Shouldn't I???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Roasting - Should I Or Shouldn't I???

My husband has offered to buy me a coffee roaster for my birthday - I'm really, really interested in getting into home roasting and think one of Andy's Behemor's would be a great buy after reading all the positive feedback on this site. My other thought is that with lots of people on here having taken the plunge and bought one there is likely to be some kind soul around to help me out if I get really stuck.

I guess what I'm wondering is how much of a learning curve is there on the roasting front? Have others with no previous roasting experience got something at least drinkable within a reasonable period of time??

I'm perfectly happy to persevere long term with roasting and don't expect to become a master overnight but as I've never tried anything like it before I'm feeling slightly nervous. With my little one often playing up my real concern is having the concentration to approach things methodically. I have severe baby brain (coffee helps though!!).

Any thoughts / encouragement / discouragement accepted and very much appreciated from any experienced souls - coffee has kept me sane whilst on maternity leave. At least my brain has been learning and working - very important

I'm no rocket scientist and I roast coffee that everyone loves. Roasting is really simple and even if you get it slightly wrong it won't be too bad. The Behmor makes it very easy and it is well supported by Behmor and CS if you run into issues.

Comment

If you can follow a recipe Kirsty and duplicate the process when you need to you can roast coffee.

Go for it.

Comment

Agree with comments above. It is really easy to get something good on the Behmor. There's plenty of advice on getting good roasts on this site, and plenty of people to help out if you do have any problems.

The only bad roast I've had on my Behmor was when I got carried away doing something else and the roast ran too long.

Comment

Home Roasting - Should I Or Shouldn't I???

I'd never roasted before and bought a behmor after emailing Andy and asking a few questions. A few months later I'm supplying workmates with fresh SO beans and getting paid to do so! It's so simple go for it

Comment

You will make some mistakes in the beginning, but like anything you learn from the mistakes you make. After roasting your own i'm 100% sure you wont go back.

Chris

Comment

even though my coffee sucks, it's still drinkably sucky, and i can't improve if i keep drinking other peoples beans.

Comment

Thanks everyone The encouragement from others who have started roasting is a real confidence booster. I make my own bread and ice cream so I guess the process will be similar in terms of trial and error - plus this is going to be the best present my husband has ever bought me! He doesn't even drink coffee either (can't stand it or tea) so it's entirely altruistic. This time a year ago I was drinking coffee made from those horrible supermarket bags - I can't believe I'm now at the point of jumping into roasting. Who'd have thunk it?

Comment

Working...
                X