Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions please, no 2nd crack.

Good evening all,

I have had no success in getting my beans to a 2nd crack. I am using a Behmor roaster and have tried different weights and profiles without success even when extending the roast time to the max.

I would really appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

suggestions please, no 2nd crack.

What color are the beans when they come out and are they oily or dry?

Comment

There are lots of variables that could be causing this.
      If you could provide some more info, it might help the diagnosis , like which bean, what weight, which profile/time, when did it reach 1st crack?
      Cheers

Comment

Welcome to CS.

I dont know anything about the behmor but I guess you must be a relatively new operator because what you are describing is what can often occur when an operator hasnt got the modus operandi / basic profile sorted yet for new, small roasting equipment (which can be much more "powerful" than commercial roasting units and therefore requires a "tighter" level of control from the operator).

Suggest a PM to your friendly Behmor supplier for some advice, or renaming the thread to something like "Behmor Advice Needed", to direct the discussion to other Behmor users that may be able be able to point you in the right direction more efficiently.

Comment

Yes I am new to this and thanks I will rename the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Coffee View Post
            Suggest a PM to your friendly Behmor supplier for some advice, or renaming the thread to something like "Behmor Advice Needed", to direct the discussion to other Behmor users that may be able be able to point you in the right direction more efficiently.
            Or you could simply read the thread listed immediately next to yours/this one on the roaster forum. i.e. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/3...hmor-help.html

Java "Ah-ha! Solutions!" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Well done JP !

Comment

It doesn't seem to matter what bean, weight or profile it only seems to get to the 1st crack with about 2mins to run. The only time I have had a roast go to the 2nd crack was when I started the roast, reduced the time and then increased the time again.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions I will have a look at that other thread and see if this helps.

Comment

Might be worth looking at the Behmor site as well.

"Important - Critical maintenance updates"
                    Coffee Roaster, Home Brew | Incline Village, NV | Update / Manuals

Tech Support articles
                    Coffee Roaster, Home Brew | Incline Village, NV | Tech Support

Comment

First crack with about 2 minutes to run is pretty common irrespective of the bean. After first crack, keep your eyes and ears peeled. after two or so minutes, if second crack has not occured--- with some beans it's not always that obvious---add 15 seconds. Then another 15...and another if the timer is flashing and about to enter the cooling cycle.

If about 3 minutes have passed since first crack, and the beans look the right colour, should be pretty right anyway.

I find it ideal to have second crack happening a few seconds into the cooling cycle.

Comment

I don't own a behmor, but I have hear many talk about the power output. Is your behmor running at 240v?

Comment

I will check this but I did set it up correctly initially that is, pressing the "C" button whilst plugging in the power cord. I have read that extension cords can affect the machine and I was wondering whether a double adapter could have the same effect. I am using a double adapter, nothing plugged into the other side, as the cord on the roaster is about 10cm too short.

Comment

Working...
                          X