Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average life of HG?

Morning all,

I've been having some real slow roasts of late, almost to the point of baking beans. My last had no first or second crack but pulled at around CS10 after 22 mins...should be an interesting roast seeing I've never been down this end of the profile before.

The culprit was a bosch Hg which after 10 months of roasting has suffered a partial (read almost all) engine failure and battles to get to 240C an inch from the nozzle. How long do "high quality" HG's last when used for roasts? I went the slightly more expensive option of the bosch to avoid replacing regularly but I seemed to have overestimated germany build quality (or maybe that designed in germany, assembled in china).

Wow. 10 months! Unexpected.
    There should be a 12 month warranty - can you return?

I've got the same gun - would be a bit dark myself…

Matt

Comment

I have to say the heat gun I had lasted 12+ months and is still going I hope to the lucky member I sold it to. For $49 after 4 months if it had have packed it in I wouldn't have complained. The misuse I put it through I'm surprised it lasted...

Comment

Yeah Bosch would have at least a 12 month warranty? Cant hurt to try and get a replacement.

My Exceed $40 HG is about to have its 1 year birthday, still going pretty good with at a guess a 450g roast every 7 - 10 days.

Comment

Ah :-)
          It took me two reads and then I noticed "bosch" to realise that HG was Heat Gun and not Has Garanti :-)
          I'd better go and make myself a coffee.
          MIke

Comment

I originally read it as the HG from HG One...

Comment

Have had my Bosch heat gun for over 20 years, been used for everything from stripping paint to roasting coffee, it's still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                Have had my Bosch heat gun for over 20 years, been used for everything from stripping paint to roasting coffee, it's still going strong.
                An oldie but a goodie.

I'd bet your Bosch heat gun was made in Germany.
                Not in China like most Bosch tools now.

Comment

Average life of HG?

Originally posted by Hildy View Post
                  I originally read it as the HG from HG One...
                  Me too :guilty and a bit silly...

BTW I am a builder and I bought a 'Black and Decker' HG maybe 30 years ago now and it lasted around 20 years of constant heavy use heating and bending PVC pressure pipe for swimming pools and spas...

It did die and I replaced it with a Makita 2spd and adjustable temp... So far so good...

Oh yeah, I would never use a HG for roasting beans or cooking steak for that matter...
                  IMHO the heat is harsh and drying, but I know many enjoy great success and I bid them well....

Comment

Originally posted by Ol_Grumpy View Post
                    Oh yeah, I would never use a HG for roasting beans or cooking steak for that matter...
                    IMHO the heat is harsh and drying, but I know many enjoy great success and I bid them well....
                    I follow the logic with the steak - but moist, tender, medium rare coffee beans? Not sure that I understand the appeal!
                    I'd have thought they're quite different end results - so require very different cooking processes… :-)

Enjoy the day
                    Matt

Comment

Can you tell us a little more about your heat gun harsh heat theory, sounds interesting.
                      Cooking a steak with a heat gun! guess it's possible although the need has never arisen.

Comment

Originally posted by thundering_gerkins View Post
                        An oldie but a goodie.

I'd bet your Bosch heat gun was made in Germany.
                        Not in China like most Bosch tools now.
                        You piqued my interest, just wandered down to the shed to check, the label proudly proclaims "Made in Switzerland"

Comment

Average life of HG?

Sorry Guys, the above paragraph is very poorly constructed and contains double meanings I did not recognise or intend. Let me try again....

Steak: I would not use a hot air gun to cook steak and do not know anyone who has done so- successfully, or not.

Beans: I personally would not use a hot air gun to 'roast' beans- although I am aware many do and I wish them well and no disrespect.

My reasoning is that beans are mostly sugars and in any cooking of sugars- eg making caramel, melting chocholate, etc the heat must be gentle and not peak at too high a temperature or scalding or burning is so easily the result.

Now, I am the first to say that the proper use of (any tool) must be learnt and I know a hot air gun can be used with care to avoid scalding- it's just not my preference, that's all.

I prefer to use a drum roaster like my fzr-700 which is very much a hand tool that I am still trying to master... AND which is still very easy to scald and burn the beans if one is not careful.

That's all...

Comment

I use Bosch Heatguns. My first I changed after 3 years but found there was nothing wrong with it. The new one is just over a year old and going strong. If yours is not running to temperature then it is faulty and I believe that there is a 12 month warranty on them so I would check to see if they will replace it. Like all heater elements they are subject to degrading with age. It might be that yours degraded quicker than it should have.

Comment

Average life of HG?

Just on this Bosch Tool Talk... I own and use quite a number of Bosch Blue tools. Lately (last few years) Bosch has had an extended warranty of 3 years if you register your purchase online, etc. I had a premature failure of a 100 mm grinder and it was cheerfully replaced.... Just sayin.... They do seem to honour genuine warranty claims...

Comment

Working...
                              X