Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do roasted beans lose significant weight with time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do roasted beans lose significant weight with time?

I just ordered some beans from a local roaster, roasting date 25/3. Received them today (28/3) and having only bought 250g bags before, thought this 480g bag felt a bit lighter than I would have expected.

So I weighed it on two sets of scales, and it was 460g, including the bag. The bag probably weighs 20g, so we're looking 40g short.

Is this to be expected after roasting?

Originally posted by simonko View Post
    I just ordered some beans from a local roaster, roasting date 25/3. Received them today (28/3) and having only bought 250g bags before, thought this 480g bag felt a bit lighter than I would have expected.

So I weighed it on two sets of scales, and it was 460g, including the bag. The bag probably weighs 20g, so we're looking 40g short.

Is this to be expected after roasting?
    In a word... NO

The bag should contain at least 480g of coffee

Comment

Not too concerned as it's pretty trivial but being the first time I've ordered from this roaster, I can't say it's got me excited to order again.

Comment

Re: Do roasted beans lose significant weight with time?

It might be understandable if they are huge beans and the bag is as full as possible, otherwise its a legal no-no. Once upon time that kind or thing was considered a serious issue.

Comment

I did mention it to the roaster which was tough as it feels petty, but there could have been good explanation and a bit unfair to buy elsewhere if so.

And there was a good explanation.

I'd asked the roaster if they could include something in the package I'd left there previously, so he down-dosed the bag so the weight didn't go over the satchel max of 500g.

Comment

Simonko, I am surprised you could feel a 20 gram difference. I am envious of your sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto View Post
              Simonko, I am surprised you could feel a 20 gram difference. I am envious of your sensitivity.
              40g difference, but I think it was more because I'd never handled a 480g bag before and expected it to be bigger and heavier than it was compared to the 250g bags I usually get. I've just discovered those 250g bags actually have 330g crammed in too.

Nothing to be envious of. I squatted a barbell the other day that I'd mistakenly underloaded by 20kg and didn't notice the difference.

Comment

Lol, would've been better the other way round, overload the barbell and not notice.

For my sins, or my health, I go for 4 km walks carrying a back pack with workout weights inside.

For months I thought they totalled 12 kg. Actually weighed them one day and they came to 16 kg.

Comment

Working...
                X