Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restarting a roast after cooling (Behmor), or how to trick it

Two related issues:

Firstly, restarting from a cool roast. I've had a terrible time roasting yirgacheffe on my behmor. I always overshoot and get burnt or boring coffee, or undershoot and get grass. Anyway while I think I hit the sweet spot, I wanted to know whether there's anything massively wrong with getting under roasted coffee and just putting it in the roaster again. I've never produced anything amazing this way but I haven't used the behmor long (maybe 30 roasts) so I haven't produced much that's amazing.

Secondly, sometimes the power trips when I'm roasting (old apartment). The behmor doesn't let you start again right away - it has to cool first. Any ideas how to trick it into letting you start again right away?

Thanks!

Dana

Hi Dana
    I haven't got a Behmor - but are you using a multimeter & probe? Ideally, if you are logging the roast temp each time, then you go through your whole roast procedure, noting the drop temp. If it tastes like grass in the cup later - then take it 1-2° higher next roast. If it's burnt - 1-2° lower. It's really the only way to get consistent repeatability in the long run - otherwise it will be very hit & miss.
    As to re-roasting - I haven't heard of anyone raving about the outcome of such a venture - but might be worth a try. But can't comment on the tech side of making it happen in the Behmor though!
    All the best
    Matt

Comment

Good point re multimeter and probe. I am being scientific but not enough, and a temp measure would translate more objectively to other roasting devices too. I need to be recording ambient temperature too actually as that fluctuates a lot where I live. May as well bite the bullet as I need a temp sensor for the Silvia anyway. Wonder how I can get the sensor into the Behmor...

Anyone with any hints on what kind of probe to get and where to attach the sensor?

Maybe this relates to the above. There's no doubt some kind of sensor in the behmor itself that doesn't let me turn it back on immediately. I wonder if I could use the same signal... unless it's just a thermally activated switch or a timer...

Comment

there is really no way of restarting BM after its stopped short of tricking the internal thermistors.

and i have 2nd roasted some beans a while back and they were actually ok- i baby sat them for the second roast though.

if you do 2nd roast them i think drink them straight away, dont wait 1-2 weeks.

Comment

Had same issues a couple if weeks ago. I had some expensive beans in the roaster and power went off around 15 mins in (Was a 1lb run...).

I managed to power up and run a cool cycle (the machine refused to roast immediately). I then started a P1 roast and pulled the beans as soon as they 'looked ok'. I picked the P1 as it ramps up the head as fast as possible.

Beans were usable, cant comment on how close to the original they would have been because I've never tried the blend before but it was worth the effort - they have been described as very nice by the family group and I tend to concur.

Either way it was a saving of $14 of green beans which would have made me very sad...

Agree with the above, if you're doing this then do it as soon as you can after the 1st run.

Comment

Originally posted by danahooshmand View Post
            Good point re multimeter and probe. I am being scientific but not enough, and a temp measure would translate more objectively to other roasting devices too. I need to be recording ambient temperature too actually as that fluctuates a lot where I live. May as well bite the bullet as I need a temp sensor for the Silvia anyway. Wonder how I can get the sensor into the Behmor...
            Anyone with any hints on what kind of probe to get and where to attach the sensor?.
            Hi Dana
            You can get the probe and Multimeter through beanbay - and if you look at this thread here:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...-software.html

you can get info about the DMM & probe, plus the free roast monitor software (although you don't have to use this) and how to install in the Behmor :-)
            Cheers Matt

Comment

Working...
            X