Hottop - beans stuck in drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hottop - beans stuck in drum

Does anyone else get beans stuck in the Hottop drum? After every roast I do I pick out between 2 and 4 beans from between the spiral and the little deflectors.
    It gets quite annoying when you are doing back to back roasts. It seems like they made a mistake with the design of the drum.
    Anyone got a mod that will stop the beans getting stuck in the drum?

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I've requisitioned one of my wife's old knitting needles which I use to dislodge beans after the roaster has cooled a bit. Different bean varieties (Brazil Pulped for example) are worse than others for sticking. On the other hand, I almost never find any Yirg beans left behind after a roast.
    It's just part of my routine now to check and remove beans and blow out the chaff.

There's a thread one of the other forums describing drum mods for the HT but I don't think it was intended to stop beans sticking.

Cheers,
    Paul.

Comment

I use a chopstick, and check after each roast. Its usually misshapen beans that get caught. Have not heard of a mod.

Graham

Comment

Pretty common in all perforated roasting drums and as mentioned above should just be part of your between roast process to flick the stuck beans out.

As an aside, the old Alpenroast had really big holes in the drum and was often called "the echidna" after a roast.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          Pretty common in all perforated roasting drums and as mentioned above should just be part of your between roast process to flick the stuck beans out.
          My beans get stuck between the deflector vanes and the spiral. If the vanes were longer and didn't leave a gap then the beans wouldn't get stuck.

Gavin

Comment

Working...
          X