Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaster: Home Use

Hello

I am thinking about roasting my own beans for personal use only.

Few things I would love to know;

- recommended machines to make approximately 1-2kilos a month.
    - recommended reading on how to successively roast
    - recommended courses on roasting.

Thanks
    P

I have just started Roasting and converted a bread maker into a roaster.
    The Corretto here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/2...beginning.html

The roasting spreadsheet and graph is a good start.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roast...eet-graph.html

Cheers

Comment

Most people start with a popcorn machine to begin with as it is really cheap and easy. Having myself roasted on 3 poppers over the course of a year and a half I just moved onto the heatgun/dogbowl method which is just holding a heatgun over the bowl and stirring the beans with a spoon. How on earth I spent so long using poppers before upgrading I will never understand. The results and larger batch times are so much better so I say skip the poppers unless you have one already or can find one really cheaply. I think phil is spot on with the corretto but if you can't find a breadmachine just get a dog bowl and do it.

Here's the method: Heatgun and Dogbowl Coffee Roasting

Here's some good tips: Roast Coffee | Sweet Maria's Coffee Library

Comment

I started with the Behmor and didn't do any courses. The Behmor makes roasting very simple and you can find pretty much anything you need to know about roasting on this site (also buy the machine from CS too). Depends on budget of course but you will get a return on your investment in a year or two depending on how much coffee you drink.

Comment

Hi Peter
          I started growing and processing my own coffee about ten years ago and I searched for a cherry pulper and eventually bought one from Colombia: I searched for a huller and eventually bought a 'peeler polisher' from India: I had trouble finding a roaster at a resonable price so I wok roasted over the stove at home for a year or so. Then I saw the Behmor 1600 on Coffee Snobs website. I spoke to another small operator who told me the Behmor worked for him, so I bought one. I have been very satisfied with the Behmor, in fact I have just finished roasting up a small batch (half pound). If you do buy a Behmor I would merely suggest adjusting the default roast settings to get it right. I found the default settings either burnt the roast or under roasted so, what I do now is program the unit for a half pound at setting P1 but actually put about 7oz in the drum: perfect dark roast. Behmor talk in pounds and ounces because the machine comes from USA.
          Hope this helps.....................wantok

Comment

Hi Peter,

You can spend anything from $30 to $1500 to achieve the basic function of turning green beans into brown beans. I started with a corretto and many CSers still use it. It didn't work for me but that was because of the configuration of my bread maker. The Behmor is popular because it's a tidy dedicated roaster for about $400 but you're limited to the built-in roast profiles, and only one of those is at all close to the profile I like to follow. Up from this is the Gene Cafe ~$700 which gives you manual temperature adjustment but only inaccurate ways of measuring that temperature to work out how hot the beans are. We sell the Hottop which is about $1200 which is what I normally use myself (I own and occasionally use the other two), which is by and large a commercial drum roaster scaled down to domestic size, i.e. full manual heater power and fan speed, plus dedicated external cooling and accurate bean temperature measurement. You might want to do some googling to find more information on those different roasters if/when you get to that.

Which is best for you will certainly depend on budget, how 'pretty' you want it to look and how far you're wanting to explore different roasting methods and the resultant taste differences. A trap for young players is that spec sheets aren't always the whole answer so make sure you get some feedback on the experiences of users.

Greg

Comment

Are you a fiddler who likes to play with things?

How much time are you prepared to spend on roasting?

A bemore would be the straightforward solution.

Other solutions will give more control but probably introduce more variabals.

While a popper is limiting with the batch size they are a good way to learn.

If you drink 2 Kg a of coffee a month you must drink a lot of coffee or have a lot of friends helping you.

I am self taught

Comment

Working...
              X