Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly Modified Toddler Roaster + First Roast

Hi all,

I thought I would share my first ever roasting experience - it happened to be today .

After a bit of lurking in the Roasting sections of CS I decided to give home roasting a go. I bought a toddler roaster (stove top) from Syndey Rd in Brunswick, a butane powered camping stove from Bunnings along with some odds and end to build a vacuum powered bean cooler.

Bean Cooler: Stainless Steel colander was fitted to a standard plastic bucket buy cutting out some grooves with a dremel. A hole was cut in the side near the bottom to fit a vacuum cleaner nozzle and voila! one bean cooler...

The slight modification I made to the toddler roaster was to plug the steam nozzle/shaft with a hex bolt and teflon tape (I tried the dome nut option but unfortunately the thread was stripped on the end of the shaft - although no complaints for a $25 roaster!) I then drilled a 5mm hole in the lid to act as the new chimney for the smoke. Total coast for this set up is just shy of $50 including 4 butane bottles that should last over 6 hours of constant burning. I set this all up in my tiny garage as shown in the pics below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1065.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	754761 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1066.jpg
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	754762 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	754763

1. Coffee Roasting in my garage!
    2. Steam nozzle plug mod
    3. New chimney hole in front, away from my hand!

I also bought 500g of green beans of unknown origin from the place I got the roaster. Literally unkown as they were in a vacuum sealed plastic bag with no label!! I thought this would be a cheap way to roast the drum in - sacraficial first roast and all. I have since placed an order on Bean Bay for a starter pack - excited to recive this during the week in readyness for next weekend's roast-a-thon!!!

So I finally set up and was ready to roast!! Below is the details of the roast:

Green Amount: 250g
    Roasted Amount: 208g (with at least 10g spillage post-roast thanks to my clumsy self!)
    Ambient temp: 9 degrees centigrade
    Total roast time: 14:30
    1st Crack: 10:30
    2nd Crack: 14:15

I pulled the roast just after hearing second crack and dumped into my bean cooler - down to handling temp in under a minute! Also helped to remove a lot of the chaff as did using a combo of mixing the beans in the wind to help lift the rest of the chaff out. All in all I was very happy with the first roast! I picked out maybe 5 under-roasted beans from the batch, other than that it was a pretty even roast. Finished product below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	754764 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	754765

I read on here about the ability to try the beans immediately post roast in drum roasters so I couldn't resist . Double shot hand ground on my porlex and put through my Breville 800ES with single wall baskets. I fudged the grind and it was way over-extracted @ 50 secs (tasted bitter but still palatable). But let me say - the crema! My Lord the shots were at least 70% crema and not bubbly! I have never seen such crema from my Breville before! I am totally sold on home roasting and fresh beans! I have stored the rest and will allow to de-gas and will try again after 4 days. If I am this impressed with cheap unkown greens imagine when I get my hands on some Bean Bay Beauties!!!

Very sucessful day and a whole new world has opened up. I can now spend years trying different origins and different blends!! I will stick with this toddler roaster for the next little while and will definitely look to upgrade to a corretto or KKTO in the near future as my skills and confidence grow.

Thanks to all CSers for this absolutely brilliant online community!! Thanks to Andy for the vision and in advance for beans and gear coming my way!!

Cheers,

WG

Well done, a fine DIY effort. The kit looks a lot like one a friend built using a caterer-sized old teapot for the drum. The teapot rotates suspended over a gas burner, and the spout serves as the chimney. Quite a laugh to see the gadget in action, nevertheless it produces a nice roast.

Comment

Thanks Bernsbrew Certainly can see the funny side with using a teapot to roast coffee. After scouring these forums I am amazed at the inginuity of CSers...some of the DIY roasters/coolers are quite elaborate - and effective.... ah damn this hobby is becomming an obsession!!

WG

Comment

No Toddlers were harmed in the making of this thread

Comment

What do you use for grinding toddlers? I haven't got to the roast-my-own stage yet but yours is certainly an inspiring story... How long did it take to roast them? Did you have to stand there turning it constantly or is it an every-so-often action?

Comment

Lol no toddlers were harmed! Indeed! No adults were harmed either!!!

it is a hand crank roaster so you have to turn it constantly. I think this model can be purchased as a manual or auto with a 240v motor attachment. I prefer hand cranking the roaster as it engages you in the whole roasting process. I was there turning it for the full 14 and a half minutes my first roast took. I aimed for one revolution every 2 seconds (30rpm) as this seemed to be about right . It took a little while to work out the right technique to hold the roaster on the hot plate whilst turning it - it was a two handed affair using my left hand to apply downward pressure on the wooden carry handle whilst my right hand turned the roaster. Seemed to work quite well by the end and the resulting roast looks promising and is developing a really nice aroma while degassing.

WG

Comment

Anybody found a supplier of these in Sydney, or even on line ?

Comment

Hi Blend,

not sure about online but you could try the Auburn/Lidcombe areas as they have a high concentration middle eastern supermarkets (which is where I bought this albeit in Melbourne).

failing that I would be happy to buy one on your behalf and ship it to you if you're ok with the extra postage costs.

WG

Comment

Hi wyldgrind can you let us know the address in Syney Road. I have the duluxe powered roaster (use at own risk and always stick around!!)and am interested to see the beans and another roaster for spares.

Comment

Hi Freddy,

i can't remember the exact address but it was called Yassino International - a small shop located between Victoria and Albion streets. Good luck and happy roasting!

WG

Comment

Thanks will find it.

Comment

I picked up one of these on the weekend and got a nice even roast from it. I took your advice and plugged the hole internally with some tinfoil and drilled a hole in the lid and had no issue with steam coming out the handle end.

Comment

Working...
                        X