Happy first time roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy first time roaster

Having bought locally roasted beans for use in my Sylvia 3 for some time now, I decided it was time to experiment myself. I purchased a Behmor 1600 off Andy (nice, quick transaction), and, with some trepidation chucked in my first 250g's of Peruvian organic which came with the machine. I had expected the process to be really tricky, and also expected that it would take some time (and wasted beans) before I was happy with the result. Not so. I waited for 90 secs from hearing first crack before hitting the cool button, just as second crack started. The beans looked a little darker than I intended, but had that slight sheen which I like. I let the beans cool completely before bagging them up. I usually like to wait 4-6 days from roasting before using, but after 48 hrs, my patience wore out and I made my first cappuccino. My wife and in-laws, all barista trained, were all eager to sample. I made one cap with the beans I normally get from the local roaster (around day 12 from roast), and one cap with the freshly roasted Peruvian organic. All four of us agreed, my newbie roast was richer and smoother. I don't do exited (unless Liverpool beat Man Utd) but I'll admit, I was a happy bunny. Now I'm sure many of you are rolling your eyes at this newbies naivety, and know I'm in for a steep learning curve when my next batch crashes, but let me be naïve for a little while

Congratulations... it's never too early for things to be going well!

Comment

Welcome Burkey and congratulations on your first up success. Enjoy the journey but be careful as it can become an addiction :-).

Steve

Comment

great result Burkeboy. i still get alot of satisfaction knowing my little BM pumps out better coffee ( im my opinion) than generally available, dont be afraid to mix it up with a few different types of beans.

I do 375g/ P2/B now and often mix up 3 types of beans mixed for 3 roasts.- usually pick beans from different continents.

Make notes of what you do as sometimes you will just love a particular batch.

welcome & enjoy

Originally posted by Burkeyboy View Post
        Having bought locally roasted beans for use in my Sylvia 3 for some time now, I decided it was time to experiment myself. I purchased a Behmor 1600 off Andy (nice, quick transaction), and, with some trepidation chucked in my first 250g's of Peruvian organic which came with the machine. I had expected the process to be really tricky, and also expected that it would take some time (and wasted beans) before I was happy with the result. Not so. I waited for 90 secs from hearing first crack before hitting the cool button, just as second crack started. The beans looked a little darker than I intended, but had that slight sheen which I like. I let the beans cool completely before bagging them up. I usually like to wait 4-6 days from roasting before using, but after 48 hrs, my patience wore out and I made my first cappuccino. My wife and in-laws, all barista trained, were all eager to sample. I made one cap with the beans I normally get from the local roaster (around day 12 from roast), and one cap with the freshly roasted Peruvian organic. All four of us agreed, my newbie roast was richer and smoother. I don't do exited (unless Liverpool beat Man Utd) but I'll admit, I was a happy bunny. Now I'm sure many of you are rolling your eyes at this newbies naivety, and know I'm in for a steep learning curve when my next batch crashes, but let me be naïve for a little while

Comment

Cheers Brett. I tried my second batch yesterday using 227g P2 B. I think I hit cool a little early, just went from the timing guide. I would have liked a slightly darker roast. I need to look into blends and what works with what. I have no idea about bean hardness etc. I guess after I've tried a few and noted the results I'll see a pattern of times, colours etc and then be able to match suitable blends. Steve.

Comment

Working...
          X