Burnsy's KKTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnsy's KKTO

After spending some time with Stickleback roasting on his KKTO last Saturday morning (thanks mate) I was definitely sold on what I thought was already a great idea for a roaster. Given I love to build stuff this roaster seems perfect for me - Thanks KK.

A bit of hunting around and I have located everything I need for the build including the saucepan and steamer which I just happened to have in my shed. Picked up a tiffany oven for $15 off gumtree, a breadmaker for the motor off roadside chuckout (was initially thinking corretto), a fan for the cooler from a skip bin and then did some further hunting around the workshop before locating a suitable length of stainless for the shaft (from the steering arm on a big outboard) and some stainless for the agitator (from an old sink).

So far I have the breadmaker motor stripped out for re mounting, the agitator roughed out, the saucepan and steamer drilled out and I machined the shaft for the agitator. I did this using an old Douglas shaver, was a bit of fun. No pictures yet but will post up as it progresses, I do have a vid of the shaver in action on the shaft though

Douglas Shaver - YouTube

Welcome to the club - after building a KKTO you may never want to part with it
    Just follow the tips I have posted about - Available heat, volume, and a good mixing agitation

KK

Comment

Thanks KK, I have been doing heaps of reading and will line it and restrict volume to the 7-9 litres you suggest, agitator will be as close as I can get to yours without laser cutting. Heading away this weekend so likely be next week before I make any further headway.

Comment

I have been fiddling away when I get the chance and was testing the agitator this arvo when I thought I would throw some beans in and give it a run. No insulation, no false bottom, no seals and the base is not finished. The breadmaker motor has been wired though a switch and it rotates pretty fast, around 90 rpm from a guess and even without cutting out the agitator centre as per the KK design everything spins fast enough to keep the roast even.

I think I missed 1st crack completely even though I was watching and listening keenly, even turning off the agitator for a second or so to listen. I got smoke then a few pops so think that was second crack. Had burped it previous to this based on colour believing I had missed first crack. All up it was around 19 minutes. I think my $15 turbo oven died though, will have to wait and see if it fires up again once it has cooled down (edit found you need to push the handle on the Tiffany ovens down to de-activate the safety switch, oven is all good).

All up I am pretty happy with the result, just have to wait a week to taste it - 250 grams (green) of KJM blend.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Burnsy; 13 March 2014, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Had another bash at roasting this arvo. This time 200g of Tanzania Machare Estate. Did not hear first or second crack again and no noticable smoke this time. 24 minutes in total with the oven set at 200 degrees and no preheat.

Picture of it along side the 4 day old KJM blend (starting to show some oils) that I let go to far (I think) with some 5 Senses espresso beans in the espresso cup for comparison. Will have to wait and see what it tastes like. Plan on starting to use the KJM roast tomorrow.

Keen to hear any feedback on what the experienced roasters think based on the colour and time.
          Attached Files

Comment

Finished a bit more of the KKTO, boxed in the top and added some feet for air flow. Still need to get a false bottom and sides, insulation and some seals. The agitator is still solid and I don't kow whether I should cut the centre out of it as per KK's design.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey Burnsy,

That Machare looks as tho' it's somewhere around first crack. If you compare the beans from the two roasts
              you can see that the Tanzanian isn't fully expanded, chaff is still adhering to quite a few beans and the centreline silverskin is bright and intact.
              My guess is that the Machare will be quite sour. It looks more like a cupping roast than an espresso roast.

The blend roast looks pretty dark but photos don't always show the true colour. If I have to choose between the two, I'll have a cup of the blend. ;-)
              There is a bean at the front of the blend roast (in the centre, a bean above the bottom row) that has a divot. if it's only one bean in the batch
              don'y worry but have a look to see if there's more.

To see what I mean about being 'expanded' you could take a few beans from each roast, line them up, on their round backs, flat side up.

If you then get down level with the flat surface you will see that the Machare is indeed flat while the blend flat side is actually pushed up
              and slightly plumped or rounded. Notice also how the centreline in the blend roast is darker, more open and has more fissures at each end of the crack.

The bean surface is also smoother and fuller than the Machare roast, which looks a little 'dry' ( and I'm not referring to the oily sheen on the blend).

24 minutes for the Machare is way too long, just from the photo you should be reaching that stage at around the 11-13 minute mark.
              19 minutes on the blend? Try the same profile on two roasts and pull the roast at 17 mins, then 18 mins.

Using the 5 senses as a guide could be misleading. If it's an espresso roast.... it looks a little light but that depends on your taste.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                24 minutes for the Machare is way too long, just from the photo you should be reaching that stage at around the 11-13 minute mark.
                19 minutes on the blend? Try the same profile on two roasts and pull the roast at 17 mins, then 18 mins.
                Thanks for the great feedback. I was starting to think I pulled the Machare to early looking at the chaff still attached and the lack of fissures. I guess you can't re roast?

From your feedback in the quote above do you think I need to preheat the KKTO and get the temp up higher quicker? Maybe I need to get some insulation and a false base sorted as a priority??

No telemetry here so roasting by the seat of my pants, need to get a probe and software so I can more accurately replicate things. Where do others put the probe in a KKTO?

Comment

I have no idea how the KKTO 'works' ....... preheating can be useful but if you overdo it tipping and divots can result.

It would be more how the heat ramp up to temp is being managed.

Hopefully someone with experience on this type of roaster will chime in with some thoughts.

Comment

Thanks again, I think I did not have the turbo oven turned up high enough (only had it at 200) so temp ramp up was not as rapid as it should have been.

Comment

Great build. I'm actually in the process of building something similar, also using bread machine parts and a pot but for heat application I'm using a heat gun. I like the oven idea though. I bet once you get familiar with this roaster you could do a fair volume in it.

Should I post some pics of my roaster here or should I just start another thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Dubbadan View Post
                        Great build. I'm actually in the process of building something similar, also using bread machine parts and a pot but for heat application I'm using a heat gun. I like the oven idea though. I bet once you get familiar with this roaster you could do a fair volume in it.

Should I post some pics of my roaster here or should I just start another thread?
                        Probably best if you start your own thread. Especially as yours is not a KKTO.

Java "Modders 'R Us!" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hi burnsy - you will learn more as you use the roaster more
                          Organise the false bottom as the volume is critical
                          Add outside insulation to minimise escaping heat
                          Check that the beans are agitating / mixing and not just pushed around in one big blob
                          As a general rule you can pre heat the roaster but I recommend to run the roaster at full strength till first crack

Probe can be placed on in 2 ways
                          1) Over the rim or from a hole on the side

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
                            Probably best if you start your own thread. Especially as yours is not a KKTO.

Java "Modders 'R Us!" phile
                            Oh ok. I'd better look up KKTO then. I didn't know it was a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee_Kosmo View Post
                              Probe can be placed on in 2 ways
                              1) Over the rim or from a hole on the side
                              Thanks KK, if you put the probe into the side, does it matter much what height it is at? I was thinking directly under the basket or does it need to be in the basket above the agitator?

As far as mixing goes I am pretty sure they are mixing but I need to do the "red bean test" to check.

Comment

Working...
                              X