KKTO/Coretto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KKTO/Coretto

This is my new DIY roaster. I started roasting a few weeks ago and till now I've been using a bread machine. I had a coupla frustrating experiences with the stirrer stopping before the end of the roast so I made this mostly with stuff I had lying around at home. Also, my wife was seemingly only reluctantly agreeing to let me use the bread machine.

I used it for the first time this weekend. Worked a treat. Only thing I may yet change is the motor, which is WAY overkill. I don't have temp monitoring, but would love to get it rigged up to be able to graph the profiles, that looks like fun. I'm just going for a fairly generic profile using a timer and going by sound & colour, adjusting the heat to get first crack at roughly 12 min and finishing somewhere around 15-18 min depending on the bean and intended colour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395654620905.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	756075
    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395654705850.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	756076Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395654737939.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	756077

Nice one, is that a bread maker motor and drive? They spin pretty fast don't they? I am looking at what variable speed controller i can fit to mine. Thinking maybe a ceiling fan controller might work but need to speak to someone more in the know about these things first.

Comment

Hi Dubbadan
      Nice work - certainly won't have any issues stalling that baby!
      Matt

Comment

Yeah bread machine drive, motor from a clothes dryer. I added the lid after a test run threw beans all over the deck!

Comment

I think (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) in most cases where you want to retrofit speed control to an AC motor you need phase modulation, which can be expensive, and some motors such as those for ceiling fans are made with speed control in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubbadan View Post
            I think (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) in most cases where you want to retrofit speed control to an AC motor you need phase modulation, which can be expensive, and some motors such as those for ceiling fans are made with speed control in mind.
            Not phase, I meant frequency modulation.

Comment

It's actually called a Variable Frequency Drive Dd...

Can actually buy one in kit form from Jaycar, and possibly others. Would need some experience before commencing something of this complexity though...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
              X