TJ-067 1kg electric drum roaster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ-067 1kg electric drum roaster.

My new roaster. Had first 2 roasts today. Very impressed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1404468495.848839.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	756406

Name:	ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1404468525.087832.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	756407

And the results of a roast of Columbian Volcan Galeros:

Name:	ImageUploadedByCoffeeSnobs1404468611.443641.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	756408

Great stuff Pb. Nice roaster and an excellent looking result.
    What were the batch sizes and times for your roasts?

Comment

Gotta love a new toy!

Java "" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

It's a great machine. I've had mine a little over 1 year now. Here's my set up. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4635.JPG
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	737517Click image for larger version

Name:	roaster.JPG
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	737518

Comment

I put a 1kg green batch of Peru Ceja de Selva in first go. I backed off the heat too early and too much and ran to 20 mins.
          The 2nd batch was 1kg green Columbian roasted to about 10 secs past beginning of 2nd crack at 16 mins.

Comment

What is your charge temp?

Comment

I dropped at 190C.
              What are your tips Saoye? I've only just begun so what I'm doing isn't very useful to anyone yet.
              Especially tips for going up to around 1.25 green so as to yield full kilo brown batches.

Comment

1.25kg don't be afraid to charge up to 240deg especially for hard beans. Your roaster will take a few more roasts to season I'd say after 10 roasts your roaster will be fully seasoned so until then nothing is really as it seems in terms of profiling.
                Never just turn the machine off without allowing it to cool down under 100 deg or you will warp the barrel. I use the pid reading for my charge temp not bean temp. Hope that helps.

Comment

Sigh I had one of these sitting in sydney waiting to be picked up after a long wait from order day.........but had to let it be I sold as we have had to move to a rental property due to unforeseen circumstances....... I was really looking forward to using mine. Good luck pavoniboy subscribed to watch and learn as you go

Comment

Pavoni congratulations on your new roaster, impressive looking unit!! I'm sure you will have many hours of happy roasting and experimentation--enjoy!!!!

Comment

Sorry for your disappointment LukeMC.

I'm beginning to get the hang of the roaster and how it responds. Roasts are already improving. Getting good results in the cup already too. Today's roasts smelt amazing, the best yet.

I'm overcoming my fear of backing off too much too early that happened in the very first roast. With good momentum I can still back off a lot, quite a bit before 1st crack.

I've been too involved with learning, to be taking photos but will try to remember next weekend.

Comment

Thanks for the help Saoye. It's good to know about cooling the drum. I had been anyway as felt it would be good but didn't know how cool I needed to get it. I had been coming down to 60 to be safe.
                        I still haven't increased my batch sizes but am really starting to nail the profile I'm after on the 1kg green batches.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavoniboy View Post
                          Thanks for the help Saoye. It's good to know about cooling the drum. I had been anyway as felt it would be good but didn't know how cool I needed to get it. I had been coming down to 60 to be safe.
                          I still haven't increased my batch sizes but am really starting to nail the profile I'm after on the 1kg green batches.
                          I typically leave the door open, turn off the elements and leave the drum rolling with the air on full blast to suck the heat out. By the time I weigh, label my roasts, clean up etc, is about 30 minutes it's reasonably cool. I didn't go past 800g until I had at least 20 roasts on this machine. There is really not a lot left in contingency once you roast at 1.25kg in terms of controllability/power. Then again most 1kg roasters are really meant to roast 800g or 1kg green at maximum. I have seen 1 other tj067 locally and found some differences including the depth of the drum. I'm not sure if the buyer had requested smaller drum size to reduce the price etc, but would be interested to know the diam and depth of your drum compared to mine. My drum has ample room, at 1.25kg it's probably 1/4 or even less of the volume of the drum. The only problem for me to go past the 1.25 kg is really the power output and controllability of the roast.

Comment

Just out of curiosity Saoye , what is your minimum recommended green bean batch the TJ067 can handle comfortably?

Comment

comfortably 400g but that's only because I haven't tried anything less. I've heard others quoted numbers around 250g.
                              Originally posted by Pretzal View Post
                              Just out of curiosity Saoye , what is your minimum recommended green bean batch the TJ067 can handle comfortably?

Comment

Working...
                              X