Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tefal ActiFry

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tefal ActiFry

    Hi Guys

    Can I use a Tefal Actifry to roast green beans?

    Thanks

    Gil

  • #2
    Originally posted by GilR View Post
    Can I use a Tefal Actifry to roast green beans?
    It might be possible but I doubt it. You need to ensure it gets hot enough to roast the beans preferably in under 20 minutes and the beans ideally should be agitated to ensure even roasting. Try out a couple of hundred grams but don't use oil.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Gil,

      I had to look up the tefal actifry first before making a comment and after having a look im sure you could give it ago. The only thing is if you haven't roasted beans before your version of them turning out great maybe very different to someone who has had roasting experience. I see this thing turns and heats up so its a start. Things you will need to ensure are..

      -Make sure the beans can tumble and a fast enough rate consistently so they come out even and dont burn.
      -make sure you can get required heat into the beans and adjust it as you go along.
      -aim for a roast between 10-14mins
      -Hear first crack and be able to see what is going on

      This is just a start, it might be worth your while to look up roasting basics before starting. Then go and give it ago.

      Get back to us and let us know what happens...

      Chris

      Comment


      • #4
        It was briefly considered a few years ago.

        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/2...l-actifry.html


        Gary

        Comment


        • #5
          Tried an Actifry last night...
          200g Harrar
          Started with 17m on the fryer, but had to keep adding time because the beans weren't getting to first crack.
          After 35m, gave up and dropped the beans into a wok. The roast was all done within a few minutes.
          Conclusion: It doesn't get hot enough. There was also a build-up of chaff on the extraction grate in the fryer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Full points for giving it a go, most wouldn't have.

            Look out for a second hand popcorn machine on gumtree or charity shop. Should cost no more than $5-10. Lots of info on using them to coast.

            Comment


            • #7
              most of the youtube vids using the poppers suggest second crack is going to be around the 4 to 6 min mark, obviously depending the type of popper and bean being used. Is there an issue in roasting beans that quickly (ignoring consistency in roast etc etc) .

              Comment


              • #8
                The short answer is yes. Longer roast times are preferable, but when using a popper without modifications, you are usually restricted to quite a small quantity (~80g).
                The longer answer is yes...but you can still get good results.

                The way I view popper roasting is that it is a great way to try out coffee roasting. You can get good results, and it's a cheap way to find out if coffee roasting is something you want to continue with. If you do, then you can look at moving to a different roasting method with larger quantities and more traditional timings.

                I roasted with a popper and then an Imex (glorified popper) for over a year before moving up. Even though the timings can be fast, it was still better than a lot of other stuff out there!

                Brett.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fatboy_1999 View Post
                  The short answer is yes. Longer roast times are preferable, but when using a popper without modifications, you are usually restricted to quite a small quantity (~80g).
                  The longer answer is yes...but you can still get good results.

                  The way I view popper roasting is that it is a great way to try out coffee roasting. You can get good results, and it's a cheap way to find out if coffee roasting is something you want to continue with. If you do, then you can look at moving to a different roasting method with larger quantities and more traditional timings.

                  I roasted with a popper and then an Imex (glorified popper) for over a year before moving up. Even though the timings can be fast, it was still better than a lot of other stuff out there!

                  Brett.
                  Thanks for that Brett. Youre a champion. Exactly what i was thinking. we have had the popper in pantry doing nothing so no harm in trying a small batch and see what happens i guess.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks MrFreddo. I have a Behmor, so no need for a popper.
                    My brother wanted to test out his Actifry, so I was happy to sacrifice some green beans for a good cause. Apparently the Actifry is pretty good for its recommended purpose.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
                      Look out for a second hand popcorn machine on gumtree or charity shop. Should cost no more than $5-10. Lots of info on using them to coast.
                      Actually, Target have them permanently available for under $20...

                      Mal.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X