Thermocouple in popper .... Location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermocouple in popper .... Location?

I do a bit of home roasting using a couple of popcorn poppers and get great results, keen to start to monitor temp v time. Seen thermo couple mentioned in a few threads, how are thse used? Is the probe simply dangled in amongst the beans or is it attached to the chamber some how???? Also what is the suggested thermo couple to use?

In my popper I put the probe through the case angled down into the beans.

Some pics in this old thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/2...ontroller.html

The thermocouple was the long one available on Beanbay.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by ldm720 View Post
      I do a bit of home roasting using a couple of popcorn poppers and get great results, keen to start to monitor temp v time. Seen thermo couple mentioned in a few threads, how are thse used? Is the probe simply dangled in amongst the beans or is it attached to the chamber some how???? Also what is the suggested thermo couple to use?
      Hey LDM720,

Got any pics of your final result?

Cheers,

Al

Comment

I use a glass bead k-type thermocouple poked into the bean mass. Keep it with some extra slack and it will rotate with the beans. Don't last forever, but a much more representative measurement.

Comment

Can you direct me to where you can find them? I got a bead thermocouple with my multimeter, but it's only plastic shielded so wouldn't handle the heat.

Comment

Beanbay has them from memory. They are a dime a dozen on ebay though. Also the likes of RS Components or Jaycar.

Comment

Oh - that's the one I have (the beanbay one) didn't think it'd be suitable though?

Comment

Working...
              X