Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in buying commercial roaster

Hello
    I am considering buying a 10kg Has Garanti machine,Toper, Roastmax, or joper coffee roster. Which is the best. Which gives the most consistent results and even roast.
    Last edited by johnsa; 17 July 2015, 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Help in buying commercial roaster

Hi Johnsa, Has Garanti from site sponsors (Mark of CSA and Chris of Talk Coffee) is very hard to beat. Having the pleasure of dealing with Mark and Chris, I can only speak very highly of them both. They are more interested in getting you the right equipment rather than peddling their goods. Do contact them if you haven't already done so, you will be pleasantly surprised as I was regards Arief

Comment

Hi there,

You have mentioned 3 x Turkish brands, which are at the budget price end of the market, and 1 x European brand, which puts it in a higher price bracket.

You ask, which is "the best"?

What do YOU want in a roaster? What is the definition of "best"...for YOU?

If it is price, then the Turkish brands are the best because they will undoubtedly be the most price convenient.

If it is the standard of build, then there will be no question it will be the european roaster.

If you are talking roasting/roaster technology, then as a general group you will also find that european brands are "the best", and the best of the best will go to two only brands: BRAMBATI or PROBAT, neither mentioned in your post.

Its really up to you and what you expect or want from a roasting plant, INCLUDING there is also what you expect in sales service and support, both before and AFTER the purchase.

Do you have the projected or real turnover to support the purchase of a 10 kilo plant?

EDIT:
      Suggest you talk to the importers of the machines you are interested in, to get a feel for the kind of service you can expect from them both before and after the sale.

Ask them also, for references to people in your area (and if not somewhere where you are prepared to travel to), so you can telephone and visit them and ask what they think of the equipment and the service they received from the importer/agent of the brand... A pro dealer will not object to that and may even take you to visit their clients, without obligation.
      Last edited by TOK; 17 July 2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Welcome johnsa,

I don't think that this forum is likely to provide you with an answer. "The best" will come down to a whole heap of variables including aspects of build and price, gas train and many other factors.

An example. Locally to me is a $50k+ 15kg setup. It's beautifully built and well and truly capable of producing brilliant coffee. Sadly the drivers of said roaster use it badly and produce garbage.

You need a roaster capable of producing great coffee. The intangibles in the process are beans and most importantly you.

Whilst we may choose brand X as "the best" car, for many I see on the road, the fact remains that many at the wheel would be better off catching the bus. The same analogy can be used with coffee roasting. You gotta learn to drive real well and if you think you know it all, it's back to the bus.

The best or the worst roaster could well be staring at you when you look in the mirror. Learn, learn and then do some more learning.

Chris

Comment

This is going around in circles and telling me nothing. Please don't give me airy fairy answers. I looking or coffee roaster not a dress.

Comment

Ok.

No airy fairy for you mate. You asked a ridiculous question and there is no answer. If you think that a 1 word answer will suffice, you're dreaming.

Good luck. You will surely need it.

Comment

I think I have the direct answer you are seeking.

Which is the best washing machine?

You choose what suits best your situation, needs and wants.

If you dont know what you need or want, then you need to speak with the importers of all the brands you mentioned, to try and work out what woill work best for you.

Walk before you run.

Cant get any clearer than that.

Comment

TOK, good analogy. At least in my opinion the potential range of capability and price is even wider for roasters than it is for washing machines!

Comment

The response I have received leads me to conclude that all machines are created equal.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsa View Post
                    The response I have received leads me to conclude that all machines are created equal.
                    Well then, please yourself, I would suggest....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsa View Post
                      Good luck with that... you'll need it!

Comment

If you don't already know the basic differences between the roasters you've asked about you're in for a long ride on a bumpy road. The reason you got "airy fairy" answers is because your question was so broad.

I would suggest you put that money you're about to spend on doing some roasting courses and getting more knowledge and experience in the field because it seems as if you're lacking in that area. Knowledge is key in this game. There's nothing worse than spending $25k-$50k+ on a machine you have no real idea about how good or basic it actually is as compared to its nearest rivals in the market.

You probably have no idea but some of the people that have responded in this thread have more experience than you're most likely ever going to have in your lifetime so don't be blunt to them, because when you reach out your hand next time for help they may not offer their help/services again.

Comment

Get a quote for each of the roasters you mentioned and the one that is cheapest is the best roaster for you since they all roast coffee beans and are all capable of making 'good coffee'. There's no point paying extra for different brands as they are all made equal as you say.

Comment

I'm more inclined to say check the second hand market to get a feel for resale value, as I don't think you'll be roasting coffee for long.

If you're this short with people giving you genuine, useful, free advice, I don't know how you'll go with unreasonable, demanding clients.

Comment

Originally posted by magnafunk View Post
                              If you're this short with people giving you genuine, useful, free advice, I don't know how you'll go with unreasonable, demanding clients.
                              I do....

Comment

Working...
                              X