Turbo Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Oven

Hi, Great forum and I am looking at doing a home roaster based on Koffee-Kosmo plan. (fantastic idea)
    I purchased a Homemaker Halogen Turbo Oven from K-mart and here is my concern.
    I have not been able to get the oven up to temperature. (it switch on and off which is apparently normal)
    When its set on 250 deg c and with a temperature probe touching the metal perforated plate it only records 230 deg c
    If I just measure air temperature it only records 215 - 220 deg c.
    Testing has been done in an insulated aluminium frying pan that is fairly well sealed and approximately 6 cm in depth.
    I am not sure if this is strong enough to roast coffee ?
    Will the air circulating as per KK plan increase the temperature ?
    Can any simple modification be done on the Turbo Oven ?
    Thank you

Welcome Pm...

Probably better to ask about this under the "Roasters" category, where plenty of KKTO builders will see it...

Mal.

Comment

Okay thanks.
      I will re-post in that category..
      John

Comment

Originally posted by Postmaster View Post
        I am not sure if this is strong enough to roast coffee ?
        Will the air circulating as per KK plan increase the temperature ?
        Can any simple modification be done on the Turbo Oven ?
        I have been using a KKTO ever since the beta release back in 2010. At first I had problems with temp and roasting times were long - sometimes as long as 25 mins. I'm now up to my 4th turbo oven but my roast times are usually 15 - 16mins. The mods I have used are high temp silicon rubber tubing to seal gaps, a fire blanket for insulation and, at one stage, a metal plate to reduce the volume. The biggest difference to roast times has been pre-heating the oven before adding the beans. Other have used mods to insert additional heat such as electric frying pan bases or drilling holes in the heat shield of the turbo oven to increase air flow.

I don't think your temperature measurements will give a proper indication of the effectiveness of your turbo oven. You really need to measure the temperature of the bean mass.

As Mal suggests read through the Roaster posts on the forum. Use the Search function to search for KKTO. Here's one thread:,
        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/3...en-issues.html

Comment

Thanks flynnaus, I have and still having a look through the Roaster posts on the forum. Its has some great ideas and information. What you have mentioned about the temperature of the bean mass makes good sense as they would
          naturally hold the heat.
          Once again tks
          John

Comment

Postmaster, in short your concerns are completely unfounded. KK style builds are many and varied and unless you have a very badly sealed roasting chamber or are using something completely unsuitable (a 6cm deep pan isn't going to work well at all in terms of allowing chaff removal etc - but you;ll have no issues getting it has hot as required) temperature is NOT an issue with any TO's I've encountered.

I have my own build thread but I recommend you refer to the one done by Readeral.

Do things vaguely correctly and temperature will definitely not be an issue. :-)

Comment

I have a Kmart Turbo Oven - and I definitely don't have temperature issues... well, not ones where it doesn't get to temperature. What I _do_ have is temperature control issues - in that I'm sometimes scorching beans due to too much energy! (Flynnaus, any wisdom on this would be grand).

You will be fine with your turbo oven unmodified, I promise. The suggestions of flynnaus like silicone hose, fire blanket and volume adjustment are all things I've implemented on the back of the collective efforts of many in this forum.

That being said - given how cheap the TO was, I suspect quality control is very low - and it could be that my TO is overpowered, and yours is not.. but you'll only know it if you use it in situ. Build a KKTO and see what happens :P If you need a new TO, then just return it to Kmart suggesting it doesn't hit it's 250 degrees and they'll replace it, but my Kmart one is perfectly adequate.

Also, I don't think the username is supposed to be Postmaster, surely that's just from when the posts were moved to the right place?

Comment

Originally posted by readeral View Post
                Also, I don't think the username is supposed to be Postmaster, surely that's just from when the posts were moved to the right place?
                As usual the nick was not changed when the thread was moved.

Java "Change what?!" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
                  As usual the nick was not changed when the thread was moved.

Java "Change what?!" phile

Will John see these replies in his notifications?

Comment

... I'm sometimes scorching beans due to too much energy! (Flynnaus, any wisdom on this would be grand)
                    Scorching means too much heat is being applied. Without knowing your roasting methodology or your set up, I couldn't advise. The bean type could also be a factor.

I can tell you what I do. My tried and trusted method is to pre-heat to about 160 degrees. Add the beans and try to maintain a 10 degree/min rate up to first crack then 3 - 5 degrees from first to second crack. I always stop my roasts on or just before second crack. I control the temp via the controller on the TO to maintain the 1odeg/min ramp (+/- 2 degrees)

I use a Coffeesnobs DMM with a k-type probe inserted through the side. My batch size is always 400-500 grams.

It had some scorching on some Maui Mocka beans last time so I think a softer lowland bean will need a gentler profile.

Comment

Will John see these replies in his notifications?
                      If he doesn't it's not because of any Moderator action and seeing as he's responded to this thread since it was moved he clearly knows it's here.

Java "See what?!" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Thank you for the encouragement Nikko.the.scorpio. I have actually read all the threads from yourself and Readeral and I totally agree with you. I will emphasis again, what a fantastic forum.

Comment

Hi Readeral. I have actually read all your posts and well and nikko.the.scorpio and now tend to agree with you on that subject. In regard to the name I actually worked for Australia Post for 46 years and my designation was "Postmaster" before they decided to change the tile to "Postal Manager" so yes I do use that username.

Comment

Username is correct thanks guys

Comment

Yep no worries thanks have seen all the replies

Comment

Working...
                              X