Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behmor Alternatives?

First the pre-amble...

My Behmor turned 3 years old last Sept and whilst it's been reliable I've become more sensitive to it's 'foibles' over time, and now it has developed some kind of an issue with it's smoke (chaff) remover which has resulted in (1) a burnt top casing and (2) concern that i cant even leave it for 30 seconds just in case it repeats and catches fire.

I'm not by any means complaining, it's been a trusty soul, used to roast about 1 1/2kg ever two weeks and long runs pre-xmas as i supplied workmates with their Christmas specials.

I bought it back in 2012 simply because I wasn't happy with the cost profile of ordering roasted every week or two and paying for repetitive delivery charge (and not to mention couriers being a pain in the a$$ in my area).

If i had to quantify the save it would be in excess of $3-$4k over the life of the machine (i.e. over $1,000 a year) even after removing the $400 cost, a very satisfying result.

What I've never been happy with is simple, it was the display - I roast outside, in a country which is lets face it, a fairly bright environment on the whole and I've always struggled to see the readout whether it be when programming or the actual run. The upgrade to the 1600+ model made things worse, whilst i agree with the need to confirm the roast 2/3 of the way through it's a real pain when you cant see the display.

Other gripes are less of an issue, the original keypad's digits wore off, albeit the +1600 model keypad lasted much better. I've had it jam a few times, essentially the drum for whatever reason deciding to jump off it's left hand side support (most likely by hitting the chaff collector), but they were pretty rare. Another would be watching the roast.. the window has always been too small and the bulb too dim to compete with the open or glass cylinder roasters as a result i just listened for the 'cracks'.

The ask...

I'm not aware of any, but what would be the equivalent in the market - say $500-$1k with a roast simular to the behmor i.e. 400-500g?

I've tried smaller (I have a ancient iRoast2 which is 150g) but I end up spending too much time roasting - 10 times in a weekend is excessive.

Or is there a Behmor with a different display? that would be good for me.

Thanks in advance?

Atomic.

(EDIT: Gah - just realised i posted in wrong group, maybe someone can move this to the roasters section?)

For the volume and price point I think the Behmor stands alone in its market segment.

Java "Roasting away" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Yeh, your only option to match or exceed the Behmor's payload at a comparable price is to build a 'Corretto' or 'KK turbo oven' type roaster using a variety of bits and pieces (breadmaker, heat gun, particle accelerator etc).

Comment

hot top maybe?

Comment

I switched from the Behmore some six months ago, to a KKTO build, haven't looked back. The Behmore I purchased 2010, a great little workhorse, a bit restrictive, now roasting is a piece of cake ..

Comment

$700? Who's selling them at that price? The cheapest price I see is $USD1,100. Which at the current exchange rate is over $AUS1,500. Over 3 times the price of the Behmor with almost half the capacity. And FYI there's no need to buy a 110v model and run a transformer as there are 220v models available in AUS, with the cheapest price I see in AUS is over $1,700, plus shipping. $700?!? Better grab all you can of them and on-sell them and make a mint MrFreddoFrog!

Java "Not even close to being in the same market segment" phile
            Last edited by Javaphile; 9 December 2015, 04:20 PM. Reason: more info
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Gene Cafe, iCoffee or some sort of DIY (Corretto, KKTO, BBQ drum rotisserie) are the only other options that I found while I was hunting over the last few months. I've ended up with the Behmor.

Comment

Both the Gene and the iCoffee have significantly lower capacities than the Behmor (both nice little roasters though), and the OP wanted something that could do 400-500g in one go.

Comment

If you can make do without the bells and whistles I think you'll find as a long term roasting solution a KKTO build (either done from scratch yourself on the uber cheap or via buying the hard to get parts from KK himself) is pretty much a pound for pound champ. Not much I can say that already hasn't been said about the design concept many times - it works exceedingly well.

Comment

I've never heard of the keypad wearing out but I guess they could over that much use and as for roasting "outside" I would suggest that under a veranda or in a shed is where most people roast and the display is fine for that purpose. Maybe try a different spot?

Regardless of the idiosyncrasies of each of the mentioned roasters the reason we sell the Behmor and the reason it's won more gold medals than any other roaster in the Golden Bean Home Roasting competition is that it has the right balance of radiation and convection heating to produce the best body and best bean development of any home roaster.

Every other roaster mentioned in this thread doesn't have the right balance of convection and radiation and some only have one or the other (regardless of price).

When you ask a "what else question" you will always get replies from people that have one roaster and love it, there are couple of people in this thread that own multiple roasters and can do a better compare but typically you need to understand you will get a bias reply.

The difference between the original Behmor 1600 and the Behmor 1600 Plus is the addition of manual overrides. These were added (with much nagging from me) to give a huge amount of control over the roast and allow better development between first and second cracks. Again, the blind tasted results in the Golden Bean year after year speak for themselves.

Best bang for buck, best volume, best results... not hard to tell why we sell only one type of home roaster in Beanbay.

Comment

I bought my Behmor roaster from Andy a few years ago and it hasn't skipped a beat. I upgraded it to the plus spec front panel and the manual override is worth getting

Comment

For what it's worth....

I experienced a similar issue with an original Behmor with respect to the unit's display being flooded by ambient light outside. Overcame this with a simple fix, of folded up thin cardboard into the shape of a shroud, similar to that which you see on TV Cameras covering sporting matches. Just stuck it on with Blue-Tac and removed afterwards.

The KISS principle in action...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                          For what it's worth....

I experienced a similar issue with an original Behmor with respect to the unit's display being flooded by ambient light outside. Overcame this with a simple fix, of folded up thin cardboard into the shape of a shroud, similar to that which you see on TV Cameras covering sporting matches. Just stuck it on with Blue-Tac and removed afterwards.

The KISS principle in action...

Mal.
                          Thanks for the replies everyone.

I pretty much roast outside the front of my house, it's under cover (just in case of rain etc...) and partially shaded but regardless of the direction i face it there's not much joy with the display. Even if I shroud it with my hands it's hard to make out. I don't think it's the particular display i had the same with the display before the + model.

I could try roasting in the evenings but in the summer i'll get eaten alive by the mossies... lol dont i paint a harsh picture of sydney life.

I'll ponder a little... i'm tempted to do a build... by trade i trained as an electrical/electronic engineer and have picked up strong mechanical skills over the years. The biggest challenge I face is the burner source - I'd prefer to make it gas but sourcing the burner to match the size is a challenge (and I suspect something i'd want checked over by a gas fitter).

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
                            $700? Who's selling them at that price? The cheapest price I see is $USD1,100. Which at the current exchange rate is over $AUS1,500. Over 3 times the price of the Behmor with almost half the capacity. And FYI there's no need to buy a 110v model and run a transformer as there are 220v models available in AUS, with the cheapest price I see in AUS is over $1,700, plus shipping. $700?!? Better grab all you can of them and on-sell them and make a mint MrFreddoFrog!

Java "Not even close to being in the same market segment" phile
                            Edit (again); Take a chill pill Javaphile, all I was trying to do was help the OP.

US$699 https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ho...8b-2k-open-box
                            Last edited by MrFreddofrog; 9 December 2015, 09:53 PM.

Comment

$699 US not including international shipping for a 120v roaster that is out of stock. You won't be landing that for "500-1k" and you'll still have to buy a transformer and pay to have it shipped back to the states if anything goes wrong. That's if they choose to honour the warranty in a machine running through a transformer at a different frequency.

I think the Behmor has this section of the market cornered.

Comment

Working...
                              X