Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a Type T thermocouple work with Victor 86B DMM?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will a Type T thermocouple work with Victor 86B DMM?

    Anyone know if a type T thermocouple will work with a Victor 86B digital multimeter (once sold through Beanbay) or will only Type K work properly?

    P.S. Can't find a selection for it so I guess Type K only?

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Victor 86B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	762689
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 20 April 2019, 12:35 PM. Reason: P.S. added

  • #2
    Pretty sure (from memory) that this meter is calibrated for type 'K' only.
    If you wanted to use type 'T' for a specific purpose, you would need to calibrate the output against a known accurate independent instrument throughout the temperature range you want to measure and chart...

    Mal.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Dimal View Post
      Pretty sure (from memory) that this meter is calibrated for type 'K' only.
      If you wanted to use type 'T' for a specific purpose, you would need to calibrate the output against a known accurate independent instrument throughout the temperature range you want to measure and chart...

      Mal.
      Thanks Mal.

      Comment


      • #4
        K-type. ...like the probes in BeanBay.

        T type won't work, different off-set.

        Get yourself a HeatSnob, works a treat and the batteries don't go flat.

        Comment


        • #5
          Whilst on the subject of temperature monitoring, I've been wondering if the Heatsnob can be connected to to a digital readout other than a a PC?

          I don't use or want any form of graphing or monitoring equipment/software, all I need is a consistent and reasonably responsive temp monitoring device, have been using a Victor MM for many years, does exactly what I require, however have wondered what I can replace my current MM with if/when it eventually fails?
          Last edited by Yelta; 21 April 2019, 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling error

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Andy View Post
            Get yourself a HeatSnob, works a treat and the batteries don't go flat.
            It's on the list. Am I correct in assuming that the HeatSnob is calibrated for use with K type thermocouples only?

            Originally posted by Yelta View Post
            Whilst on the subject of temperature monitoring, I've been wondering if the Heatsnob can be connected to to a digital readout other than a a PC?
            Good question. It would be interesting to know if they can be used in this way.



            I've been toying with the idea of making a DIY Scace insert for my bottomless portafilter. The price of the genuine article is too prohibitive for home use. (Close to $500 aud shipped just for Scace insert).

            This water tight fast response K type thermocouple seems like a possible starting point - https://www.tcdirect.net.au/Default....ment_id=180/43




            Genuine Scace insert
            Click image for larger version

Name:	scace insert.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	749892 Click image for larger version

Name:	scace insert 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	749893 Click image for larger version

Name:	scace insert 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	749894
            Last edited by CafeLotta; 21 April 2019, 11:20 AM. Reason: Additional information included

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Yelta View Post
              I don't use or want any form of graphing or monitoring equipment/software
              If you don't need USB or serial output then any digital temperature gauge will work for your application fine, just make sure it goes high enough.


              water tight fast response K type thermocouple seems like
              Too complicated, I've used this in coffee boilers, group heads, brazen baskets... etc etc
              https://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/V...rmocouple-bead
              Fast to react, cheap, works perfectly!

              You can use it with your multimeter too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Andy View Post
                Too complicated, I've used this in coffee boilers, group heads, brazen baskets... etc etc
                https://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/V...rmocouple-bead
                Fast to react, cheap, works perfectly!

                You can use it with your multimeter too.
                I tried that one clamped between the group gasket and basket (poking into filter basket) and had water leak between the wire and insulation, dripping onto the multimeter at the plugs. That's why I thought the water tight one might be an option. Not sure what you mean by too complicated?
                Last edited by CafeLotta; 21 April 2019, 11:50 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What are you actually trying to measure?

                  I've measured water on top of the basket by running one between the seal and the group.

                  I've measured temperature in the puck by notching the group handle and drilling the side of a basket.

                  Both easy!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Andy View Post
                    What are you actually trying to measure?

                    I've measured water on top of the basket by running one between the seal and the group.

                    I've measured temperature in the puck by notching the group handle and drilling the side of a basket.

                    Both easy!
                    Intent was to measure Brew water at the top of the puck similar to Scace. With minimal leaking the pressure in the portafilter (9 bar nom.) currently causes water to leak up inside my BeanBay bead thermocouple wire when clamped between the filter basket and silicone group seal.

                    An insert that works in a bottomless portafilter like the Scace is appealing to me. The Bottomless Portafilter stays unmodified and its a quick insert when measuring temp. A spare basket and a few fittings, a bit of tinkering around (usually a bit of fun) and I'll be happy enough I think.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      when clamped between the filter basket and silicone group seal.
                      nah... better off the other way

                      running one between the seal and the group
                      There is only a few mm contact between the basket and the seal and the basket is curved, if you go over the top of the seal you get 8mm of flat surface and on mine it sealed fine.

                      ...but yes, not hard to Jerry-rig something in the shed to get some data.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X