Kaffelogic Nano 7 fluidised air bed roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone using a KL at home, some findings for me using CS greens:

I've had great success roasting the Shakisso using the Kaffelogic core profile for correct altitude in Ethiopia (Rest or RTD is fine) and roasting to level 2.8. I would describe it as Medium-light and a nice, complex shot. There's this berry - raspberry I'd say - that hits you and lingers for the first half of the shot before the shot brightens and finishes. It's really pleasing. I brew 1:1.5 with 16gms in and 24gms out at 93c - a 3-bar pre-infusion for 6 seconds (or until sweat) if possible.

Harrar seems to like this roast level too. 2.8.

Also, I took the Costa Rica Miel to 4.8 for a darker roast using the KL-crafted Steady and Dark II profile from their forum. Drop your temp to around 89-90 and you'll get a milk chocolate latte, or real cocoa bomb espresso without very little bitterness.

The Indos and the PNG Waghi are the other great performers. I'm letting them settle a bit more and am trying various levels, but around 2.2 for my sumatran and sulawesi beans seems to strike a nice balancew between sweet and acidic with all the usual notes between. Java is my least favourite of the three as espresso, but as a latte it is my fave of the three - very nice. I'll experiment with different profiles and roast levels for the Java, but so far my most enjoyable latte bean as an SO.

I'll keep a log and try to share it here and on the KL community for those interested. I'm getting good results overall using the core profiles. Not quite advanced enough yet to experiment with tinkering - but I've never learned as much about roasting, as quickly as I have, until using the KL and studing roast profiles, fan profiles etc. Amazing little roaster that has helped take my coffee at home to another level. I spend a bit of time outside on our property, so I typically fire the roaster up in the shed (ventilated) and leave it going within earshot and eyesight doing back to back roasts for the week. Capacity not an issue, and I'm impressed that the beans roast just as well back to back: it's a very clever roaster.

Comment

It is good to hear all of the positive feedback about this roaster. Personally I see it as an ideal roaster for lighter style roasts where the intended use is filter or pour over etc....
      Perfect for roasting high quality 90+ beans when you only want a small amount, and freshness is key. Getting the best out of such coffees can be a little tricky so small batch sizes are ideal for experimentation. Especially if you are paying top dollar for the green coffees.
      It looks like a good little sample roaster as well.
      For espresso, if your usage is low, it should be fine. I could not see myself trying to roast 2kg a week on it, but can see plenty of usage as mentioned above.
      Hoping to have a play with one in the near future.
      Thank you for all the feedback.

Comment

• ElShauno
        ElShauno commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it would struggle to meet your 2kg needs. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house, so I'm very fortunate. I would add to your comments around who it is best suited to, that it's ideal for anyone wanting to experiment and with minimal waste. One of the advantages of the small batch and repeatable profiles is you can roast to different levels and try (or cup) them all.

Originally posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
      It is good to hear all of the positive feedback about this roaster. Personally I see it as an ideal roaster for lighter style roasts where the intended use is filter or pour over etc....
      Perfect for roasting high quality 90+ beans when you only want a small amount, and freshness is key. Getting the best out of such coffees can be a little tricky so small batch sizes are ideal for experimentation. Especially if you are paying top dollar for the green coffees.
      It looks like a good little sample roaster as well.
      For espresso, if your usage is low, it should be fine. I could not see myself trying to roast 2kg a week on it, but can see plenty of usage as mentioned above.
      Hoping to have a play with one in the near future.
      Thank you for all the feedback.
      It is quite capable of roasting really well developed darker roasts (up to and just into 2nd crack) that are significantly less baked (or not at all) than most commercial drum dark roasts out there, the key is making sure you apply enough heat at the start of the roast which none of the "Auto" profiles do.
      But agree that if usage is 2kg per week you will struggle with it being your only source of roasted coffee.
      I would see it as an opportunity to get some high quality greens which conform to your personal specification for espresso and roast them accordingly.

Comment

• ElShauno
        ElShauno commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Steve, I have had some good results with the Steady and Dark II profile - very nice with the right beans. Keen to learn how you do your darker roasts

I am at 2kg per month consumption level.
      I really like the idea of Kaffelogic but 100g per batch sounds like "too much hassle" at this level.

250g or so per batch would make a difference for me. But I assume standard 10A power limit won't be enough for 250g.

Comment

• crazyhakins
        crazyhakins commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't see why 10A wouldn't be enough. There's a 1kg electric roaster or sale on this site that runs on 10A. I really just think the Kaffelogic has been designed as a sample roaster. That's what it is, that's what it does.

• ElShauno
        ElShauno commented
        Editing a comment
        It can be used as a sample roaster, but it's not a sample roaster. It's a profile roaster for home roasters, first and foremost. There is, and likely won't be any time soon, and roaster in its price category that does what it can do with such consistency and attention to detail. If the trade off is a smaller batch size then so be it - because what is landing in the cup is truly outstanding, and can be repeated effortlessly.

It will roast 120 g. Very little hassle... I'd say very suitable for domestic use. Unless you're supplying your neighbours or relatives or have a dangerously high level caffeine addiction Particularly if you have a consistent roasting profile. Turn on, pour in beans, push roast button. Walk away and do something else. Come back to roasted beans.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushtocup View Post
        It will roast 120 g. Very little hassle... I'd say very suitable for domestic use. Unless you're supplying your neighbours or relatives or have a dangerously high level caffeine addiction Particularly if you have a consistent roasting profile. Turn on, pour in beans, push roast button. Walk away and do something else. Come back to roasted beans.
        well. Wouldn’t you need to rest them for a while. A week resting for 120 gm is a bit much. Would rather do 400 gm and have coffee for a week, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Rami View Post

well. Wouldn’t you need to rest them for a while. A week resting for 120 gm is a bit much. Would rather do 400 gm and have coffee for a week, no?
          Depends on what you're using to roast the 400 grams. I went from a Behmor 1600 plus (and I was very happy with it) to the Kaffeelogic. I used to have to keep a very close eye on the Behmor and if I got distracted, could easily burn my beans. Kaffelogic is just so easy. I can roast 3 x 120 grams in no time. You can get really detailed about roast profiles and change them if you want. But I found a roast that is consistently excellent, the machine remembers this even if power is switched off.

And the other way of looking at it is that, if you know the ideal time for resting for your beans... and if the window of perfect time to drink them is relatively narrow, roasting smaller batches more often leaves you drinking perfectly rested beans more consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushtocup View Post

if you know the ideal time for resting for your beans... and if the window of perfect time to drink them is relatively narrow, roasting smaller batches more often leaves you drinking perfectly rested beans more consistently.
            Yup this is how I do it. Roast enough for about a week while I’m cooking dinner and there is no problem at all. So easy to do small batches of different beans to really nail down what you want as a blend or single.

Costa Rica SHB on that new md3 profile at about 4.7is wonderful.

Only beans I can’t roast are some MASSIVE Ugandan robusta beans I have. Too big too hard to even get to first crack. I drop them in the baby roaster and cross my fingers. CS robusta is great on the KL. 3.0 Robusta profile is fine, darker even better.

Comment

• ElShauno
              ElShauno commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve also been sampling beans at different levels, so the ability to do small batches has led to less waste and more refinement. This weekend just gone, I performed two of my favourite roasts, and roasted around 350 grams of each - they had rested three days before I began to use one of them (which I’m seeing how it tastes throughout resting).

Dear Nano 7 owners

What would be your experience and thought around flavors comparison between roasted beans you purchased from coffee roasters you like and low to med price range green beans you bought and roasted yourself with Nano 7 with the standard built-in roast profile ? Are they the same or which one taste better consistently ? Thanks.

Comment

I'm answering here after you sent me a private message with the same question. To me, the coffee I make with my own beans tastes at least as good as that made with beans from local roasters. But I have to admit that it's very hard to be objective in these things. I don't use the default roasting profile any more. There are dozens of different profiles available on the Kaffelogic logic website and they're all just as easy to use as the default profile.

Comment

• SniffCoffee
                SniffCoffee commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with Beantocup’s comments. I’m producing consistently good roasts with the Nano roaster, but concede that I am no expert, and that speciality roasters produce better results than me. But for the ease of use and affordability it’s hard to beat.

I also use the many core profiles that Kaffeelogic has provided via their website.

Sniff

Bushtocup and SniffCoffee, Thanks so much and much appreciated That is exactly what i'm trying to find out, it gives me a clear picture on where Nano seats compare to professional drum roaster a few more questions if you guys don't mind

- how reliable is it? any hardware fault you have since ownership?
              - have you use other coffee bean roasters beside nano 7 and how they compare to nano 7 taste wise ?

Comment

• SniffCoffee
                SniffCoffee commented
                Editing a comment
                I had some early teething issues with the RoR rising too quickly but the firmware was upgraded and fixed the problem. Updates come out fairly often.

Re other roasters, I've used a Hottop, the Behmor and the Korean i-Roast.

All were capable of producing excellent coffee, the Hottop I think produced the most aromatic and flavoursome, with the Behmor close behind it, then the Nano and the i-Roast behind it. But that is more likely a reflection of my lack of tinkering with profiles with each.

All can produce beautifully roasted coffee.

In terms of ease of use, the Nano is by far the most easy to use. The i-Roast was straightforward, the Behmor and Hottop required the most attention (both require the user to be present for the whole roast).

The Nano and I-roast both were best for chaff removal.

Hope this helps

Sniff

Have had no faults in the few months I've had it. As I say a few posts above, I was happy with the Behmor 1600. It produced a very nice result too. But took a bit more work to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs View Post
                Dear Nano 7 owners

What would be your experience and thought around flavors comparison between roasted beans you purchased from coffee roasters you like and low to med price range green beans you bought and roasted yourself with Nano 7 with the standard built-in roast profile ? Are they the same or which one taste better consistently ? Thanks.
                The KL is a profile roaster. That means you feed it a profile, and it will roast to it, using a PID along the way to monitor and adapt in real time. There is no manual work, though you can babysit it to mark colour change, first and second crack etc. and marking first crack triggers a development time ratio (DTR) counter.

I have done back to back roasts of the same bean and level, and it is wickedly accurate. I combine these to make a larger batch to rest in my Friis containers.

I don't buy coffee anymore as greens are cheaper and roasting is a great way to exprience origins that just aren't available through commercial roasters.

Comment

I've had my Nano 7 for over a year and in fact I just this morning roasted my 269th batch ... no issues with it at all. Luv that it's set and forget ... I was originally concerned with the small batch amount ... but it's ease of use takes care of that issue!

Cheers Mark

Comment

Thanks so much for the info EIShauno and Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X