Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different roasting heat sources - Gas - Heated air - heat bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different roasting heat sources - Gas - Heated air - heat bar?

Just curious if anyone knows what if any, the differing types of heat applied to the roasting process has on beans?
    Ie Ive seen the smaller home style units gene/popper using hot/heated air, the hottop using a heated rod(I forget its correct name) so heats right next to rotating beans, and some that use a flame under a rotating basket?

Is there any greater method of doing this? And what effect it has on the beans? Like is the heated air better than say a gas flame below the basket?

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/home-roas...pros-cons.html

And the link in post #24 is worth reading too.

Comment

Actually the link in post #24 should be read before the rest of the thread, that will save you a bunch of time.

Comment

edit: in relation to above mentioned home roasting equipment, If I had access to bigger machines, won lottery and setup a personal roaster, or move in with Andy! all thatd mean more too me
        Was curious more if it had much play in home gear
        curious as Ive gone thru two genecafes both now RIP, repairing a hottop, and about to leave to pickup a behmor, so I have had and about to have access to the three of them but haven't a clue how the heating process affects beans on a small scale.

Comment

not exactly on topic, but Infrared heating is about twice as efficient in gas use over flames under a barrel, both do the job the same way to the roast though......

Comment

G'day Agg...

Is there any documentation readily accessed that goes into this more deeply?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
              G'day Agg...

Is there any documentation readily accessed that goes into this more deeply?

Mal.
              Not exactly documentation and more about meat than coffee But top-end gas barbecues now come with infrared burners instead of or in addition to the flame burners. The infrareds are hotter, more efficient, use radiation.

Comment

Working...
              X