New Gene Cafes flapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gene Cafes flapper

I bought genecafes back when they first came out maybe around 2007 and they had the flap flap chaff thingywhatsitcalled and they had a small rubber thing to stop it smashing into the glass roasting chamber walls which often came off and I had to buy replacement parts, think that was why I stopped using it,
    Do they still have that same flap flap piece and are the little rubber things still available?

Parts are expensive and hard to come by. I just bought a Gene Cafe, working with some broken parts and sourcing parts in Australia is hard so far. I think it is due to the supply being limited from the manufacturer.

Comment

hrmm might be the reason I got rid of the old ones I had in 2014/15
      had hoped thatd improved
      damn I really want one again! ;P

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo View Post
        hrmm might be the reason I got rid of the old ones I had in 2014/15
        had hoped thatd improved
        damn I really want one again! ;P
        I love my Gene Cafe/s. I have 2 (well actually 3). I run 2 at a time which easily gives me half a kilo of beans that sees me through a week or so. All this talk of a 1 kg home roaster is great. However, 2 roasts on 2 Genes and there’s your 1 kg if you need that much. Much cheaper than existing and proposed 1 kg roasters waiting for Australian certification.

I’ve bought all my Genes second hand at roughly half the price of a new one. The heating element like any unit that uses an element e.g toaster does have a lifespan but can be replaced. In relation to spare parts it might be worth enquiring as to their availability right here on Coffeesnobs. My understanding is that Andy took over the importing from previous supplier Avacuppa. Those little rubber dooby dahs that stop the flapping if available cost next to nothing. You can certainly buy the roasting units here. I have one of the new fire engine red models and can certainly vouch for them “going faster”. Given that it is a newer model roasts are definitely quicker - approx 20 minutes including cooling cycle.

So if you ask me - Go for it buy one!

Comment

Originally posted by stephen28 View Post
          I love my Gene Cafe/s. I have 2 (well actually 3). I run 2 at a time which easily gives me half a kilo of beans that sees me through a week or so. All this talk of a 1 kg home roaster is great. However, 2 roasts on 2 Genes and there’s your 1 kg if you need that much. Much cheaper than existing and proposed 1 kg roasters waiting for Australian certification.

I’ve bought all my Genes second hand at roughly half the price of a new one. The heating element like any unit that uses an element e.g toaster does have a lifespan but can be replaced. In relation to spare parts it might be worth enquiring as to their availability right here on Coffeesnobs. My understanding is that Andy took over the importing from previous supplier Avacuppa. Those little rubber dooby dahs that stop the flapping if available cost next to nothing. You can certainly buy the roasting units here. I have one of the new fire engine red models and can certainly vouch for them “going faster”. Given that it is a newer model roasts are definitely quicker - approx 20 minutes including cooling cycle.

So if you ask me - Go for it buy one!
          oh I know there good I ran thru two of them!
          I threw them when I killed them as at the time didn't have facility where I was living to repair!!!
          think I got 5 years out of them and did two roasts a week on both, 1kg I need more!!!

Comment

Swing arm blade cushion for gene cafe roaster available at Jetblackespresso

Comment

Andy will be boxing me up one now
              thanks nice mr bean man

Comment

Andy also found one of the parts I needed so not that hard to find parts after all.

Comment

After all these years on cs ive never thought till today to refer to andy as, mr bean
                  Facepalm
                  Ty im here all week pls tip your waitress

Comment

Holy duck poo Andy that was quick!
                    Ordered on weekend sent from snobbery yesterday ans got it in Sydney today!
                    And some good looking beans thatve already been put thru

THANKS ANDY!!

Comment

I've gone from a popcorn machine to a Gene Cafe Roaster way back in 2008 and have never looked back.

It's roasted on average, @1kg a month since and never, repeat, never given me any trouble. Yes, the flap flap may get on somebodies nerves but if deaf like me that doesn't come into the question. I love it and give it a 9.9/10 for it's reliability and repeating good to excellent roasts.

Comment

Hi Smoky,
                        Today I am doing my 7 consecutive roasts (6 different Andys beans plus my home grown) that I do once every 3 weeks in my Gene Cafe I bought in february 2007 to replace the popper and now my total roasts are up to1612.
                        With regards to the flapper, one of the 2 little circlips broke couple of months ago and I was able to use 1mm copper wire to fix it.
                        The only other problem with it is that the heater fan wont start until I heat it up with a hair dryer pointed into the air intake till the temperature reaches 70 degrees then I have to turn the power off and on again.
                        When all this covid 19 stuff finishes I will think about getting a new one from Andy.
                        Stay safe and all the best,
                        Herbie

Comment

Originally posted by herbie View Post
                          Hi Smoky,
                          Today I am doing my 7 consecutive roasts (6 different Andys beans plus my home grown) that I do once every 3 weeks in my Gene Cafe I bought in february 2007 to replace the popper and now my total roasts are up to1612.
                          With regards to the flapper, one of the 2 little circlips broke couple of months ago and I was able to use 1mm copper wire to fix it.
                          The only other problem with it is that the heater fan wont start until I heat it up with a hair dryer pointed into the air intake till the temperature reaches 70 degrees then I have to turn the power off and on again.
                          When all this covid 19 stuff finishes I will think about getting a new one from Andy.
                          Stay safe and all the best,
                          Herbie
                          Hi Herbie

Mine has had no problem of any sort since I bought it and is still going strong..."touch wood"...but when it goes, like you, I'll be buying another as it has proven itself over a long time frame to be reliable and trustworthy.

You stay safe Herbie and keep the brews coming.
                          Stuart

Comment

Working...
                          X