Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bren
    replied
    My target popper arrived this week and my beans are in transit. I've been doing lots of reading in the forum and looking forward to my first roast.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by gmo View Post
    A mate reckons the same, and tells me that Matt Perger backs him up. Doesn't stop me 'resting' my beans though.
    It’s a good thing to know cause I’m forever roasting beans too close to when supplies run out and up drinking them within a week of roasting. My supplier (me) has trouble keeping up with demand (also me!)

Leave a comment:

• moggyx
    replied
    Originally posted by worthy1 View Post
    This target one i drilled holes around the sides, bent the shark fins open some more and also added a chimney. .
    Any chance you can post a pic of the mods you have made?

Leave a comment:

• gmo
    replied

I never personally noticed taste differences between 24/48 hours and 5 days but im sure there is some.
    A mate reckons the same, and tells me that Matt Perger backs him up.

Doesn't stop me 'resting' my beans though.

Leave a comment:

• gmo
    replied
    Originally posted by bobzilla View Post
    My trusty Breville Crazy Popper died last November..
    Condolences ?

Mine has been going for at least a decade, the last 5 years or so doing ~200g/ fortnight.

Glad of the Target info OP in case by long-serving crazy popper goes the way of bobzillas (may it never be!)

Leave a comment:

• worthy1
    replied
    Originally posted by barlo View Post

This is sound advice. I used to wait 5-6 days before even trying my roasts, however, after reading posts here (Dimal maybe?) about trying roasts at 1,2,3,4 days and so on, just to taste how they change over time, I have discovered that some roasts are absolutely delicious at 2 or 3 days.

I would hate for you to miss out on these different taste experiences by always waiting 5 or more days.

In summary, I suggest experimenting with a wide range of rest times
    For sure, my issue with the timing was having variables as the beans age a bit more. I would always have trouble dialing in my grinder in the early stages. Since waiting 5 days or so my grind remains the same for the week it takes me to go through my Kilo.

I never personally noticed taste differences between 24/48 hours and 5 days but im sure there is some.

Leave a comment:

• barlo
    replied
    I had thought 24-48 hours after is enough but i found a good video from Chris Baca about degassing, freshness etc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-n7ED74Vc) this showed me that i should be waiting at least 5-6 days.
    This is sound advice. I used to wait 5-6 days before even trying my roasts, however, after reading posts here (Dimal maybe?) about trying roasts at 1,2,3,4 days and so on, just to taste how they change over time, I have discovered that some roasts are absolutely delicious at 2 or 3 days.

I would hate for you to miss out on these different taste experiences by always waiting 5 or more days.

In summary, I suggest experimenting with a wide range of rest times

Leave a comment:

• worthy1
    replied
    I use the same popper. I must admit i didnt try it unmodified as my last popper (an older one) was unmodified and i believe lack of airflow contributed to it dying in the end (lots of heat = Parts not coping with heat in the end.

This target one i drilled holes around the sides, bent the shark fins open some more and also added a chimney. This extra flow handles just under a cup of beans each time. Some jiggling to begin with as to be expected but then when it gets moving it does so nicely. I use a mesh siv over the top as it gets to the point they want to jump out and it also allows me to see how they are looking.

I dont really time as it depends on the beans but i usually stop at around 1.5-2mins after first crack to get a light-medium roast. Consistancy is pretty good, will get the odd undercooked or overcooked one that i chuck out as im cooling down.

I had thought 24-48 hours after is enough but i found a good video from Chris Baca about degassing, freshness etc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-n7ED74Vc) this showed me that i should be waiting at least 5-6 days.

Leave a comment:

• bobzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Dimal View Post
    You were a bit ambitious trying to roast a 160g batch first up...
    Without significant modification, nearly all poppers will balk at anything larger than 60-80g batch sizes.
    The popper identified above works perfectly at 80g and has roasted many batches to date without trauma.

Mal.
    Yeah, I know. I'd been doing 160 gm batches in my Crazy Popper for almost 4 years and forgot that I needed to start with smaller batches.

Leave a comment:

• Director
    replied
    Thanks guys,

I did another 2 'roasts', one a bit lighter, one a bit darker and bagged them all up in separate bags. Will let them sit for a day or three before trying them out.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Director View Post
    I'm not sure what metric I'm supposed to use to tell when I've done it right.
    TASTE!

Try some today, try some tomorrow after a bit more of a rest and if you can save some for 4 days time try them again.

You'll get to know what YOUR preference is for rest time and roast depth. Take lots of note on colour, time,taste etc so you can replicate what you like.

On looks alone, the first one looks a little overdone (but again, you might love them in a taller milk based drink) and the second picture looks pretty spot-on.
    Don't get hung-up on time to roast, (it's just a reference for you) and 4.5 minutes is fine for a popper (too quick for a Gene or Behmor).

Leave a comment:

• roosterben
    replied
    That second roast looks quite nice, looks like a light-medium roast, would be really nice as a filter/V60/Aeropress! First is much too dark to be drinkable, quite burnt.

Generally you need to let the beans rest for 5 days or so. But since you are learning to roast grind some and try a shot, give the ground coffee a couple of minutes rest before running a shot.

If you do a search on here there is a coffee snobs colour chart for roast beans CS9 etc. I printed out the CoffeeSnobs chart as a reference point. Depending on how you like your beans you can try going from first crack (like snapping matchsticks) -> rolling first crack -> second crack (think of the sound like someone crinkling cellophane) then cooling the beans for a dark roast.

Leave a comment:

• Director
    replied
    Well that was hoopy. Just tried my first lot of 80G in the Target popper, went for about 4.5 minutes and I think that was too long. The beans were cycling around OK and I waited for first crack. By the time it stopped the beans looked burned (and the top of the popper kinda melted too.) Should this be done without the clear plastic lid installed? I'll try post a pic of the results.

(edit: OK tired a 2nd time, this time I went outside and took the clear plastic 'chimney' off, have posted a 2nd pic, and a third one showing a bean from the first and second roast.) The 2nd batch 'looks' better to me but I'm not sure what metric I'm supposed to use to tell when I've done it right. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Director; 8 April 2020, 01:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    A tip for those learning on a popper, you want just enough beans to cover the "shark gills" inside.

That amount of beans (as Mal mentioned) will be 60-80g and the beans should start moving in cyclone circles, if they don't then either you have too many beans for the fan strength or it might need a stir with a wooden chopstick till the beans lose some weight and will happily cyclone on their own.

The popper is a great and cheap proof of concept and a lot of fun on the veranda (where the chaff can blow into the garden).

Stainless dog bowl and a heatgun (paint stripper) also works well for larger batches (200-500g), it's a lot of manual work though and soon you'll add a windscreen wiper motor to do the stirring and build your own contraption to improve the process.

It's all part of the fun ride of roasting at home.

Leave a comment:

• Director
    replied
    OK cheers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X