Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hullo, hullo, hullo. What's this 'ere then, eh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noonar View Post
    Doesnt Jake also mean - OK, satisfactory, all good, no problem, etc? Is that the intent of the naming? Just wondering.
    In the US by one definition jake is slang for fine or excellent dating to the start of World War I. Dating from the 1850s Jake has been used as the typical name for a 'rustic lout' (Think Bubba and redneck.). Jakey is still in use today as a derogatory term in the Pennsylvania Dutch country by some non-Amish when referring an Amishman. The term jake/jakey/jaked (A mispronunciation/misapplication of jacked perhaps?) is also a slang term for bad/displeasing/broken.

Java "Slingshot slang!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
      In the US by one definition jake is slang for fine or excellent dating to the start of World War
      Similar in Oz JP, Jake is used to indicate all is good/OK, as in (she'll be Jake mate.) Not used much nowadays, common in the 50's and 60's, particularly in the bush.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post

Similar in Oz JP, Jake is used to indicate all is good/OK, as in (she'll be Jake mate.) Not used much nowadays, common in the 50's and 60's, particularly in the bush.
        I've never heard that use of the work before, but makes sense. Maybe Rolf Harris put an end to that employment of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post

Maybe Rolf Harris put an end to that employment of the word.
          Perhaps so, he put an end to a lot of things, including his freedom.

As far as the quote goes, have a look at this link.?
          https://www.poetrylibrary.edu.au/poe...e-jake-0326007

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post

Perhaps so, he put an end to a lot of things, including his freedom.

As far as the quote goes, have a look at this link.?
            https://www.poetrylibrary.edu.au/poe...e-jake-0326007
            Sheesh. I met the bloke who wrote that. I'm quite surprised that the term isn't familiar to me...I spent plenty of time in environments where you'd expect it.

Comment

• Yelta
              Yelta commented
              Editing a comment
              Perhaps its an age thing Barry, reckon I've got a good few years on most members here.

Should have also included the 40's in my post.
          Working...
          X