Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BEHMOR AB - All Black - 2020SR PLUS (AU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE:
    Still in progress, Joseph Behm is couriering a roaster from our specific build to the USA to do more in house testing.
    I'll update more details as I know them including some of my own testing I've been doing here.
    With timezone differences in 3 points of the globe this really is an around the clock exercise.

Comment

After people read the manual, we always get lots of queries "where do I get Simple Green?".

Click image for larger version  Name:	simplegreen.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	832955

I get mine from Bunnings for about $7
      Should get a few years out of a bottle but you'll also use it to clean other things, it's a great non-toxic and biodegradable product.

Comment

UPDATE:
        Well Mr Behm either didn't book the courier today or they never turned up.
        So I boxed one up and shipped it International Express to the USA with the rest of our post items today to ensure it gets moving.
        Tracking is here: https://auspost.com.au/mypost/track/.../ET139445533AU
        Hopefully the COVID express freight is moving faster than it was last month,

Comment

• Juggler48
          Juggler48 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your ongoing efforts Andy. They are greatly appreciated.

• Andy
          Andy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Juggler, it means a lot... even more so at 10pm in the (COLD) snobbery pulling roasters to bits and running tests.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Someone in the factory have managed to get the two fans mixed up but they were very consistent as it's every single roaster in the Australian build.

I spent the night doing temperature graphing with two HeatSnobs and everything was pointing at the exhaust air speed. Even used a box of matches to prove to myself the prototype and our new roaster were blowing totally different amounts of air during the roast. Anyway, with some more digging and graphing and it became obvious. When the afterburner came on the scroll fan came on and it shouldn't do that until the cooling cycle.

So our roasters are cooling and heating at the same time which results in not enough heat to get to 1st crack properly and too much heat on the side wall of the chamber.

SOLUTION

Simply swap two wires and it will work as it should.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020SR-ScrollFan-DrawFan-WRONG.jpg Views:	119 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	833044

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020SR-ScrollFan-DrawFan-CORRECT.jpg Views:	117 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	833041

DIRECTIONS
        • UNPLUG THE ROASTER (do I really have to say that?)
        • Remove the 5 phillips head screws on the side cover.
        • Remove the 1 torx screw on the bottom middle
        • Cover slides to the front, and then off to the side
        • The side cover fan is connected to the circuit board, you can unplug it or just be careful not to break the wires.
        • Swap the SCROLL FAN and DRAW FAN wires to suit the CORRECT image.
        • Put it back together and happily roast for years to come.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020SR-SideCircuitBoard.jpg Views:	124 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	833043

TIPS 'N TRICKS

The Torx bit is a pain if you don't own Torx bits but you might find you can undo it with a small flat screwdriver.
        (I can only guess that this Torx bit appeared again as an EU requirement to make it a pain to work on)

The spade clips on the circuit board are LOCKING clips. You need to depress a tab that is hidden under the shrink-wrap before it slides off.
        Pressing with your thumbnail or pointy nosed pliers work. See image below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LockingSpade.jpg Views:	127 Size:	12.2 KB ID:	833045 Click image for larger version  Name:	LockingPin-naked.jpg Views:	267 Size:	38.9 KB ID:	833068

(Click any of the images for a larger version)

If you get stuck let me know in this thread or if you are shy via CONTACT US

HAPPY ROASTING EVERYONE

Oh, and obviously, all the roasters that leave the Snobbery from now on will have this already done.

Attached Files

Comment

• FreoRoaster
          FreoRoaster commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome Andy. I’m glad I’ve been busy and haven’t got round to using it. I agree with others a little trick to remove the splade clip a pain but did it and looking forward to my very first ever roast.... ?

Terrific find Andy...
        Going to a lot of happy home roasters out there now.

Mal.

Comment

It blows my mind to see how much effort you put into resolving this Andy. If everyone else had the same customer service as you the world would be a better place.

Comment

Incredible Andy, great bit of work there to get this resolved. Made the change tonight and looking forward to a roast tomorrow!!

Comment

We are lucky to have you Andy thank you so much.
              Last edited by FineGrind; 1 week ago.

Comment

Great work Andy
                awesome customer service mate

Comment

Excellent technical troubleshooting, can people post their roasting results after the change to demonstrate the outcome from a sample of roasters

Comment

I’ll echo the above comments, amazing customer service and dedication to your clients. We are in good hands

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                      PROBLEM SOLVED

Someone in the factory have managed to get the two fans mixed up but they were very consistent as it's every single roaster in the Australian build.

I spent the night doing temperature graphing with two HeatSnobs and everything was pointing at the exhaust air speed. Even used a box of matches to prove to myself the prototype and our new roaster were blowing totally different amounts of air during the roast. Anyway, with some more digging and graphing and it became obvious. When the afterburner came on the scroll fan came on and it shouldn't do that until the cooling cycle.

Simply swap two wires and it will work as it should.

HAPPY ROASTING EVERYONE

Oh, and obviously, all the roasters that leave the Snobbery from now on will have this already done.
                      My 2020SR turned up yesterday so that sounds like a job for the weekend. That and replacing the DC fan to fix an Err 5 in my older roaster.....The right DC fan this time (rookie error). Might go buy some Torx tools as well.

Thanks Andy.

Comment

• Frank_Howard
                        Frank_Howard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great online service, much better than having to ship the machine back.
                        Must say I hate locking clips and arthritic fingers!
                        THANKS

• Andy
                        Andy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Arthritic fingers would certainly make it harder but they are tricky anyway and even when you know how they work you need to swear at least once while doing it. Thankfully it's only two wires.
                        Fine pointy nosed pliers work a treat if you have some too.

Great work Andy. The fix was easy with good instructions. Just needed a No.2 phillips and a T10 torx bit. Happy with my roast of Ethiopia Shakisso. Used a P2 profile and pressed B. 1C with a little over a minute left on the clock...bought the power back to 50% pushed C and let it time out.
                      Looking forward to the many years of experiments and enjoying the wonderful product Click image for larger version

Name:	beans.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	833081

Comment

• Andy
                        Andy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's a win, looks excellent.

Thanks Andy for the getting the solution so quick. Those spade clips are a bloody pain in the arse. Was finally able to get them out and swap the wires around.

Comment

• Andy
                        Andy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Totally agree... but glad to see you got it done.
                        Happy Roasting

Hi Andy, thanks for the quick resolution. Just wondering, what should the cutoff temps be now (assume we are talking about B temp)? I think you mentioned should be around 192C thermal fuse?

I made the change as per the instructions above, dry run with no beans - hit 400 Start P5, after about 7-8 mins burners turned off with B temp at 158C, dropped back down to 154 and then back up to 158C and repeated.

Pic attached after change, red wire Scroll fan, yellow wire Draw fan

Haven't actually done another roast yet as I still have some from tests prior to change. Am I missing something?

Thanks
                      Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2279_3.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	833109

Attached Files

Comment

• Andy
                        Andy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, you are missing someting... BEANS!

157C off - 154C on is perfectly normal and what it should do on P5 (different P's are different values).
                        Because you don't have beans in there the wall temperature is getting that high. With beans it won't and when it does your air temperature will be high enough to burn the beans anyway.

The 192C thermal cutoff fuse is protection from bean ignition. If you have fire and ignore it, the fuse will blow killing all power (forever).
                        Don't test that one!

• cheungy
                        cheungy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Andy, I was hoping that the missing beans would be "taking the heat" so to speak, but wasn't ready for another roast yet to test. Thanks for the clarification. Steve
                    Working...
                    X